Looking for a good book series recommendation.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by borderlined, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Arya

Arya New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Katharine Kerr - The Deverry Cycle, The Westlands Cycle, The Dragon Mage, The Silver Wyrm. Absolutely fantastic series. It's 4 small sets, but they all fit together into one huge epic. Absolutely masterful.

The individual books are (in order) - Daggerspell, Darkspell, The Bristling Wood, The Dragon Revenant, A Time of Exile, A Time of Omens, Days of Blood and Fire, Days of Air and Darkness, The Red Wyvern, The Black Raven, The Fire Dragon, The Gold Falcon, The Spirit Stone, The Shadow Isle (not sure if this one is out yet).

Not sure where you're hailing from, but if you're in the US, those are the correct titles. Alternative titles were published in the UK, and I'm happy to provide those if you need them.

I absolutely cannot say enough good things about Katharine Kerr's writing in this series. I urge everybody to read it, and if I were a rich woman, would buy sets upon sets of the books to give to people. I think every fantasy fan should definitely have this one on their shelves. It is without a doubt, my favorite series of all time.

Another series that I nudge people towards is Juliet Marillier's "Sevenwaters Trilogy" ... Juliet has an exceptional talent of blending celtic myth/folk tales into her stories, and the result is always superb. She hasn't disappointed me yet. Also check out Wolfskin and Foxmask (Foxmask follows Wolfskin) by her as well.

If you haven't started The Wheel of Time yet, honestly, I wouldn't bother. This is just my personal opinion, but by book 6 - just halfway through, I was frustrated and bored and just wanted it to end, and felt that a lot of it was unnecessary filler. The first two books were absolutely brilliant, and as far as I'm concerned, it just all went downhill from there. Most people I know, have abandoned it - myself included. I did buy the 11th book, and still can't bring myself to read it. It needed a lot less gambling, arrogance, face-slapping, simpering and braid-tugging, and a lot more movement towards conclusion. Of course though, all of that is just my personal opinion.

Stepping away from the standard fantasy formula, I'm going to recommend Charles De Lint. He largely writes modern-day fantasy, with some traditional celtic elements, and has a way of roping you in, and you can't help but relate to a lot of his characters. My favorites of his are his Newford books, not a series but you can track characters through stand-alone books, and it's always a joy to see them re-appear. I suggest Someplace to be Flying, Trader, Memory and Dream, Tapping the Dream Tree, Spirits in the Wires, The Onion Girl, Widdershins .... Oh heck, just everything the man ever wrote.

Ok, more coffee. Definitely need more coffee now.

2. sepi_1982

sepi_1982 the French Fantasy Guy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    thanks for all those great suggestions

3. sepi_1982

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here is my current TOREAD list, is there some books i missed from there that I HAVE TO READ?
    I have read classics like Forgottean realms, LOTR...

The old kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix READ
    Krondor´s chronicle by Raymond E Feist READ
    Across the wall by Garth Nix
    Memory, Sorrow & Thorn by Tad Williams
    the World of the Alfar by Elizabeth H Boyer.
    The Crown of Stars by Kate Elliot
    The wheel of time serie by Robert Jordan
    The edgeland chronicles by Paul Stewart
    A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
    the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb
    Elminster in hell by Ed Greenwood
    Elminster´s daughter by Ed Greenwood

• Like Like x 1
  4. the_unknown_warrior

the_unknown_warrior New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The chronicles of the Raven and the Legends of the Raven (2 seperate trilogies) are amazin. I wish they never ended.If you like loads of action and guts and characters you fall in love with,id recommand them. i read the farseer trilogy, it was good but too subtle, not enough action. Eragon and Eldest are also good, a younger generation but stil good and His Dark Materials is amazing also!
    I'm trying to find a real action, raw type of series next,nothing too wild,i still like some sense of moral. Any thoughts?

5. sepi_1982

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    thanks for your proposal
    looks interested
    i like medieval stories, epic fantasy in medieval worlds with elvs, dwarf..
    any further suggestion are appreciated to increase my TOREAD list :)

6. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I second the Cleric Quintet!

My favourite trilogy is The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecelia Dart Thornton. Haven't read anything like it since. Words can't describe, no review has done it justice.
    Another standout would be Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon...

7. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    anything by R.A. Salvatore is a good read

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. stephen90

stephen90 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a lengthy list from my own library

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay-I loved this one.
    The Black Company by Glen Cook
    The Mithgar books by Dennis l. McKiernan-This is actually several trilogy/duology/ and some single books that take place at different times in the timeline and mostly about different people tho some do continue from set to set. Some were slow going and others were excellent.
    The Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz
    The Horseclans books by Robert Adams-Starts out 600 years after WW3. Some of the later books tell about the times right after the war. Dont be put off by that tho. It is sword and sorcery. Well more or less. Its more mind gifts than magic. Mind reading and that sort of thing. I have read them many times.
    The Tales of Alvin Maker by Orsen Scott Card-This is an alternate history based around the time of Techumsuh
    Spearwielder's Tale by R.A. Salvatore-Modern time tale of a guy going to, well basically the world of fairie
    Bazil Broketail books by Christopher Rowley
    The Serrated Edge by Mercedes Lackey-This one is about elves hiding in modern society and racing cars with non-metal engines. Very good read
    The Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey
    Guardians of The Flame by Joel Rosenberg-This one is about some college students playing an AD@D-like game and being sucked into the world the game is based on and becoming their characters. The first 5 or 6 books are excellent but the ones after that get worse and worse. I would still recommend them even if you quit after the first ones.
    The Paradise War by Stephen R. Lawhead-a very good series
    The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon-I lost count of how many times i have read this series
    The Renshai books by Mickey Zucker Reichert-I have only read the first trilogy. There is a second one that continues the series tho i believe its farther in time.
    The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery-Also read this one many time. Lots of books in this series kind of like the Drizzt books do

These three i read when i was younger but i have them in my library and i would read them again if i had them all.
    The Dragon Knight books by Gordan R. Dickson
    The Loremasters of Elundium by Mike Jefferies
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper-I seen a movie based on this series and it was horrible. Read the books and skip the movie

I loved MOST of the Forgotten Realms books i have read and i have an extentive collection of them. I could list what ones to avoid at all costs but i would rather do it in the Forgotten Realms section.

Hope this helps

9. SimonEdwards

SimonEdwards Agastalen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds to me like you enjoy a good 'epic' fantasy. The Drizzt books by Salvatore also flow really well.

On that basis, I'd definately recommend Raymond E. Feist's 'Magician' series. It flows beautifully and has a tremendous sense of charm about it. Can't go wrong with it!

10. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    "The Demon Child Trilogy" and "The Wolfblade Trilogy" both by Jennifer Fallon are very good in my humble opinion.