Logistics of lightsaber battles

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by stevenlink1, Sep 5, 2006.

1. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i think a healthy general grievous would kill most jedi and sith including maul, his only competeion would be masters of each. i think obi-wan was extremely lucky grievous was injured by mace windu. as a mater of fact, all of obi-wans victories have been questionable. in that none of them were skill vs. skill but more so opportunity. meh.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    a healthy grievous....you mean not bionic? Cause without his bionics he wouldn't stand a chance...and if you're talking about his crushed lungs...I don't think you can really look into that, like I said the clone wars animated series are not completely reliable. I know that he's cool, but that doesn't make him the best. Besides he also is a bit of coward...like Mace said he always runs and hides, although he was brave to take on Obi-Wan alone.

Indeed Obi-Wan has been lucky, still he was able to defeat Maul who was skilled, more skilled than Grievous even if he was healthy. But so many people are saying Obi-Wan wasn't just lucky against Anakin. But Anakin defeated Dooku, fair and square. Obi-Wan was defeated by him...twice. Obi-Wan had the advantage over Anakin as he said himself...so what does that say about who is a better swordfighter? But that's another subject.

Indeed it seems that Obi-Wan was lucky in most of his fights. He couldn't even defeat Vader when he was at his weakest. Instead he sacrificed himself...noble yes...

Back to Grievous. I can only look at the movies to tell how skilled he was. The point is Obi-Wan at the first round was able to chop off two off his splitted hands. Fair and square! That wasn't luck. And then what did Grievous do...run...again like Mace said he's a coward...now in the race you can't judge who is better. But in the final round you can see what's happening. Physically Grievous seems stronger than Obi-Wan. And Obi-Wan lost his lightsaber, but not because Grievous is a better fighter. No he is stronger than Obi-Wan. That wasn't a matter of sword-skills. And you know the end...Obi-Wan nearly fell off the platform, but could save himself by using a blaster...so uncivilized...

3. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i was refering to greivous before windu crushed his lungs. also i was considering the skill of the clone wars grievous. because isn't the deaths of all those jedi still atributed to him since in the movie he had all those dead jedi light sabers?

but you have a point. but i think it is a little funny that obi-wan is at his best or most dangerous when he is hanging off a ledge.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    guys, come on now. I would hardly call Obi-Wan lucky. Because he is so in-touch with the force, he is able to be in the right place at the right time.

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck."
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well call it what you want, luck or the will of the Force. But it wasn't often in Obi-Wan's hands to win those fights.

6. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The Force may have given Obi-Wan a momentary advantage or two (what you might call "luck"), but even holding his own against Anakin was a feat worth remembering. Think about it, Anakin was a master practitioner of one of the most aggressive, effective forms of lightsaber combat. He was the most powerful Jedi alive at the time, and he was fully focused on killing Obi-Wan; Kenobi, on the other hand, probably didn't fully have the heart to fight and kill Anakin, though he eventually managed to do it (or so he thought). Considering this, we have to applaud the sheer skill that Obi-Wan clearly possesses.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    It was clear to me, that Obi-Wan certainly has a good way of defending himself, true. Cause that is the only thing I see in the fight, Kenobi hardly attacks (I said hardly, not never) He even tried to strike Anakin down when he was armless, which doesn't show much honor in my opinion. But it was just necessary. So sorry I don't applaud him. Anakin was overconfident when Kenobi had the advantage. So he used that advantage to strike Anakin down. That maybe shows good strategy (but still I call it luck) but not good swordfighting (physically anyway).

8. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ya know, I have to agree with you somewhat. If you look at that fight, Kenobi had the perfect chance just after Anankin lept off of the table and jumped at him. Kenobi strifed to the side of Anakin's vertical strike and came down with a similar blow perpendicular to Anakin's. That gave him an unapposed opening, so it is beyond me to imagine how he missed.

9. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    well, maybe he missed because he lack the will of killing anakin...