"Liquid Leather"

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I saw an infomercial on TV for this thing called "liquid leather". It's for repairing tears and other damages to your leather stuff. I'm told this is the same type of stuff used by the professional guys, who actually can make the color match. I was wondering if this type of stuff could be used to make differently-colored designs on leather stuff, like bracers? Would it work to make the silver stuff on Boromir's bracers?

2. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i have never heard of this stuff, can you give me any links that give closer explanations ?

and the design on boromir`s bracers isnt just "painted" on, its pressed really deep into the leather, and thats very difficult to make ...

3. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I don't have any links, just saw an ad on TV. I plan to tool the design on to the bracers, but would add this stuff in to get the silver inlay look.

4. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    oh, ok, then please tell me if it worked when you`ve finished them ;) !

5. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gûd,
    You can get that "silver look" using acrylic paint. But, as to be expected, there is a trick to it. Acutally two. There is a stamping tool used most often as a backgrounder that produces a stippled pattern. If you use this tool lightly it produces dimples in the leather that give the acrylic paint something to "hang on to" and it is less likely to come off. OR you could simply paint your tooled pattern/designs then put several coats of a finish over it. Finish such as SuperSheen (from Tandy Leather/Leather Factory) or Febieng's Bag Balm. Both of these products will create a transparent coating over both the leather and paint helping to prevent the paint from poping off the leather. Of course if you combine both these techniques you will get the very best results.

Good luck.

6. Daryia the Fierce

Daryia the Fierce New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Daryia the Fierce,
    WOW! With that name and making female warrior armor! LOOKOUT WORLD!!! (hahaha)

Yes, the acrylic paint is the same kind you can get at any hobby or craft store. I prefer the brand Liquidtex (I think that's right). Comes in a plastic bottle and is very creamy. It goes on much smoother than the type you get in tubes. The tube type you have to thin using water and usually apply more than one coat. Silver is slightly tricky in that it will not look smooth going on but after it dries it will look just like metal. Tandy and the Leather Factory sell a paint made "just for leather" called Corvu (I think that's right). It's just acrylic paint - works like the other stuff.

You say you are making your own armor out of black leather. May be an issue here when it comes to carving leather. Usually black leather is chrome tanned leather. That means it is processed using chromium salts. This results in a good tough leather that is somewhat water proof. To carve leather it needs to be wet. Leather gets an almost clay like quality when wet. Chrome tanned leather can be stamped but not carved as it never really takes the water to get that clay like quality required. The test is to cut a piece of the leather. If the freshly cut edge is grey you have chrome tanned leather, if a light beige color, you have veg tanned leather which can be carved. If you use veg tanned leather you can make it black using dye. I recommend alcohol based dyes as they will not bleed when you wear the item. I knew a lady once who had black armor she wore over a white outfit. Well, it wasn't white when she took her armor off! The armorer had used water based dyes and not sealed the project! I would also recommend, as you are making fantasy armor, use a weight around 5 - 6 oz. Its heavy enough to make your project "look" like armor but not so heavy as to be uncomfortably stiff. Real leather armor is usually made out of 10 - 15 oz leather depending on the body part being protected.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted here.

Search tags for this page

how to make leather look like metal

make leather look like metal