Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Squall Leonhart, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *Ahem*

All right folks, here's some lightsaber tech for you.

First of all, lightsaber blades aren't just single beams of energy- they're arcs. The blade is generated by channeling power through a refractive crystal, and when it leaves the emitter guard it passes between two power couplings, one positive and one negative. This causes the blade to curve around and back in on itself, creating what's really an endless ring of energy. This 'ring' is so thin the space between the sides is nonexistant, and thus it appears to be a solid blade. But it's not, and that's why the blade 'stops' instead of going on and on to infinity.

Because of the 'ring' nature of a lightsaber blade, energy is kept within the infinite loop of the blade itself. Thus, a lightsaber blade does not generate heat just humming in the air. Another result of this is that a lightsaber does not expend power unless it cuts something- because the 'ring' is broken. Then it will generate heat- intense heat, explaining why Qui-Gon was quite capable of melting the blast doors on the Trade Federation starship in Episode I. Lightsabers are thus incredibly efficient, and lightsabers found in ancient Jedi tombs, thousands of years old, are often still in working condition.

And that's my Star Wars Science for the day. Always brush your teeth, kids! :D

2. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

* dt claps his hands

-dt

3. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    This guy has too much time on his hands. And how do the lightsaber's block each other may I ask?

4. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

I believe it's because they are coming into contact with each other...i.e the arc is broken... Another interesting thing is that unlike swords there is no actual weight in the blade so "real" lightsabers are extremely hard to wield...hence why only force adepts use them...

5. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hang on. Because there is no weight in the blade they are extremely hard to wield? What am I missing here!? I can understand not having the usual weight of a sword might require a little getting used to but with a lightsaber you don't really *need* the weight see, it's like going through butter with a hot knife. When battling someone else with a lightsaber you'd think that not having the weight help you fight this saber (that you can't cut through) would be a disadvantage, but the same goes for your opponent so it evens out.

6. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps, keep in mind though that most lightsaber combat, is not lightsaber vs. lightsaber... On a side note, does the wieght really matter seeing as only force users wield lightsabers...

7. dwarf tosser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What about jabba the hut? He's fat.

-dt

8. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am keeping that in mind, that's why I diverted on both saber and non saber contacts. And anyway, it was you who started talking about it. :rolleyes:

Dwarf tosser > what about Boba? He's fett too, oh hang on ... :D.

Now ... Romulan Ale on me :draught: :draught: :halo:.

9. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    "that's why I diverted on both saber and non saber contacts" maybe its just me but I don't see both in your original post (above)......Seeing as their are no real lightsabers to test and examine (unfortuately) I'd rather not get into an argument! I realize you'll probably have a sarcastic remarks pending to reply to this but lets just drop the subject...

What about all the clones...they're "fett" to :)

10. dwarf tosser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    HAHA! funny things make me laugh....

-dt

11. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [/sarcasm]No, it's not you I should have put it more clearly, my bad. :) The knife through butter part and the "(that you can't cut through)"-bit (which is a reference back) combined was what I ment.

But indeed, on to something different. Has anyone here ever tried making their own saber replica? How would you go about that?

12. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't one of the main pieces you'd need be the barrel of a Garflex Flashgun(i think what the movies used)... I've considered trying to make my own replica but decided it would be to difficult...Has anyone been successful??? If so, how'd you do it???

13. Time Seller

Time Seller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention that they ignore many basics of the known physics...

14. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I've always wanted a lightsaber. Masterreplica's stuff looks pretty good. The other day I was looking at these and decided that someday, maybe in a few years I will get a lightsaber. I would probably get it here.

But speaking of making one, here's a good place with info for that. Jedi Haven

15. shadow25_1

shadow25_1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see Elladan has the same book i have. It's Stars Wars Universe Weapons and Technology. There's a lot of interesting stuff in it, how a vibroblade works, blaster, chip missile launcher(PLX-2M, that's a micro proton torpedo launcher)....his stuff is more or less word for word and i paraphrase " quite often, lightsabers found in jedi tombs work perfectly without any adjustments whatsoever" as elladan said, the blade only loses energy when it hits something, so you could turn a lightsaber on in a vertical stand, and it would work till doomsday....unless something hits it. Also, you'll remember, for the movie A New Hope. Luke holds his hand up to the saber blade and says it's not hot at all.

16. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The link to the guy trying to build one sounds interesting. But I can't get the link to work. Could someone try it again maybe. I would like to know more.

17. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That can't be entirely true. It's got to lose energy if it's going to glow like that. Otherwise, the photons would stay put, and you wouldn't see anything. So while it's on, it would basically be a very dangerous flashlight. Until you hit something, anyway.

18. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    It can be perfectly, entirely true a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. If you're going to invent your own universe like Lucas has done, then you can make up whatever rules you like.

Heck, this is a universe where SPACE SHIPS flown by strange ALIEN creatures fly in HYPERSPACE, and make SOUND while doing it. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the LASER SWORDS not obeying the laws of earth's physics :)

19. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Mububban. I think George Lucas must have an incredible imagination to be able to think of this.

20. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, you can explain science by whatever technobabble you like in an imaginary universe, but by the physical laws of our universe the lightsaber in almost every respect is impossible. I use lasers in my job, both for a laser measurement system and in laser cutting.

George Lucas does indeed have a fantastic imagination, but he never insisted that it was based in fact. Star Trek, at least, makes an attempt to make educated extrapolation on real technologies.

I love both Star Trek and Star Wars, but Star Trek=science fiction, Star Wars=science fantasy.