Lightsaber Dueling

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Darth Qui-gon, Mar 2, 2006.

?

Who is the best at useing the lightsaber

1. Obi-wan Kenobi

20.0%
  2. Qui-gon Jinn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Darth Maul

12.5%
  4. Anakin Skywalker (Jedi)

5.0%
  5. Darth Vader

7.5%
  6. Yoda

30.0%
  7. Mace Windu

17.5%
  8. Other

7.5%
  1. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I voted other cause i think Exar Kun could kill many a main charector.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yeah with a double-bladed lightsaber so short that he would stab himself with it...Darth Maul saw through that flaw and extended it...and Sith use red sabers, not blue ones! :p

3. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Not true, i actually tried using a long stick and cut lines in it with a pocket knife to show the handle length and tried to fight my friend with it.It acually wasn't that hard.

P.S.:Just because the blade is blue doesn't mean he isn't a sith.I can think of another sith that had a blue blade until he lost his lightsaber and got a knew one.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I know...just playing with ya...I know Exar Kun was one of the strongest Sith in history of the Sith. I even wrote a story about him. I think it's cool that he was able to wield a weapon like that. And yeah more Sith had blue sabers...In theory even Anakin was a Sith...with a blue lightsaber, so who am I to argue;)

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    There's something interesting to tell about the Nintendo WII. Cause Steve Sansweet (third man at lucasfilm) said that Lucasarts is helping the Nintendo with the controller of the console, it kinda looks like a lightsaber so they want to help so it will be like in the future you actually wield a lightsaber in games of the new Nintendo concole

6. Axiron Stormholder

Axiron Stormholder The mouse that killed Tom

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think obi-wan is better. But it was a tough decision between Anakin, Darth Maul and Obi-wan. I think theatrically, Anakin has a lot of cool looking moves, Obi-wan is a great swordsman, and Darth Maul was good because he actually has real life Martial Arts experience. But, movie-wise Obi-wan had some cool stuff too in Episode one and three, not so much episode two though.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Keeping a cool head in battle can often be the decisive factor even against someone who is technically better than you. Anakin may potentially be more powerful than Obi-Wan but his inability to patiently await an opening and his hot-headedness lead him to make that fateful jump.

It's like any sport, or the sword fighting I do with my group. Those hotheads who rush in might make a few kills but then they'll get killed themselves. The wiser more experienced Obi-Wan's fight smarter and tend to survive while still killing opponents.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I disagree with that a little. I agree that Anakin's last move was a movie of complete rush and overconfidence just like all Sith. But everybody knows that Anakin was skilled and even almost as good as Master Yoda. I mean if Anakin wasn't skilled or smart in his fighting, why is he able to draw Obi-Wan always back. I don't say he's smarter than Obi-Wan, cause Obi-Wan seems to be good in exploring the territory he's fighting in and taking advantage of that. That is how he wanted to kill Anakin in the first place when they floated of that lava river. But still Anakin survived. Now I'm being objective, cause opinions are really divided on whose best (and not just here) Obi-Wan or Anakin. Both have different techniques and I think it was Georger's intention that Anakin was always a little stronger than Obi-Wan so that it seemed that Obi-Wan was losing, but in the end gets the chance to defeat Anakin because of Anakin's overconfidence.

9. monsterotter

monsterotter 60% Geek

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yoda was amazing, its like playing as oddjob in goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 hes so small it makes it difficult to hit him.

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That sounds like you just contradicted yourself and agreed with what I said????

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Not really I disagree with the comparisson with Anakin being a hothead. Like I said Obi-Wan was slightly or a lot less skilled than Anakin. In the end he gets his lucky shot. He said himself he had an advantage. Than Anakin makes one mistake, but I don't think that makes him a hothead (although his head was burning as hell after the fight lol)

It's hard to say who is a better swordfighter cause Anakin defeated a very skilled Sith Lord on his own while Obi-Wan was defeated by him so others say "No Anakin was in advantage cause Dooku was exhausted after both Obi-Wan and Anakin fought him." And then you hear the duel of Grievous who fought with four swords but Obi-Wan defeated him, but then you hear others say "Yes but Grievous had no Force Powers + Obi-Wan cheated by using a blaster." So that goes on and on, on who is better.

Same with the fight of Mustafar. Who had the advantage? Who seemed to be winning during the whole fight and this is what I remember the most what Nick Gillard said. It was asked on a Hyperspace (special starwars.com account) interview. How he could say that Anakin is a better swordfighter, than Obi-Wan while he defeated Anakin. While he replied "Winning doesn't make you the best." And I completely agree with that.

12. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Vader.

He just sort of never loses his cool. He just stands there, still as a dolmon, and not letting anything touch him. Plus he throws things at you whilst doing so :O

Not to mention he also killed a lot of other Sith (read in some of the inbetween stories...although I'm sure Anakin can verify this :p). Plus...he wouldn't be Palaptine's personal top notch guy for no reason.

Oh yea...I also believe that Obi-wan is the most flukiest Jedi in existance

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Vader killing other Sith...not really possible...remember the rule of two...I guess you speak of dark Jedi. Anyway the only Sith he killed were Darth Sidious and himself although I saw him kill a resurrected Darth Maul, who you could consider a Sith. He was resurrected by users of the Dark Side who thought Vader was unworthy as a Sith Lord cause of the light in him. They wanted to replace him with Darth Maul.

Although some consider this tale not canon which means it didn't really happen. But yeah I agree about the last part you said of Vader. He wouldn't be Palpatine apprentice if he wasn't one of if not the best.

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well ok I meant the other Dark Jedi, not Sith if we are being technical :p

Not to mention...he fought quite well against Luke...and Luke wasn't exactly weak. I still think he could have beaten Luke down like a bitch :S

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    no I ROTJ Vader could not be Luke in the end, cause Luke was getting stronger in the Dark Side and keep in mind that Vader was getting old and didn't practice his lightsaber techniques that much. If you look at would be completely canon (that means purely from the movies) the only people he dueled after the duel of Mustafar are Luke and Ben. Either what is canon or not is debatable.

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hmm I dunno...Luke seemed to only be pounding at him in a blunt fashion as though using a warhammer. But yes...Vader was old.

But still...I think he still had that chance

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I think I can agree with that he had a chance, cause some say that Vader was purely defensive when Luke attacked him. He didn't want to attack cause he didn't want to harm his son. But that is a little in question cause he seemed to be very agressive against Luke before he went into hiding.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well...maybe his emotions developed after seeing him. I mean...the Sith do allow their emotions to run freely. And yes...I don't think he was actually attacking him that much in the final fight.

19. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That's very true sometimes. However I'm just basing my opinion on regularly doing sword fighting against a wide array of opponents, with widely varying skill and control levels.

One guy I like to fight is a classic Obi-Wan. He's got great technique, great defence, endless patience, he's fit and agile, but he's not ultra attacking. His other abilities enable him to survivie for a long time in a fight, and he either wears you down with his fitness or he waits for you to do something stupid to try and crack his defenses, and that's when he kills you.

He is not the best fighter in the group. He's up there but there'd be 3-6 people who'd regularly beat him. But against a fast, highly skilled, experienced opponent, he can still beat them by being smart and waiting for them to do something stupid.

Just like Obi-Wan did with Anakin. And you'll never convince me otherwise because I fight with and alongside Obi-Wan's and Anakin's every week and I'm telling you, brains and patience beat skill and overconfidence more often than not :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I'm not gonna try...I just know what I know...I know about Anakin...I know about Obi-Wan...I know about their fighting...I know about fighting in general(although not as much as you prob., but still...)
    I know what happened backstage (the actors training etc...) And that gives me enough to conclude who is a better fighter.
    I voted for Anakin, because on the poll its probably the bionical Darth Vader. If you ask me who would survive in a duel, that is a different question. Yoda would beat Anakin, I have no doubt of that, because he didn't just use his sword or mind. As you could see in ep III he did a lot more than just using his sword in trying to kill Sidious. If Obi-Wan was able to do that, he would have won fairly. In ep III he was just lucky and Anakin was indeed overconfident in the end of the fight.

Patience...Because Obi-Wan wasn't it often got him killed in a fight. Take the fight with Grievous or Darth Maul for example. Wisdom, I think if it was wisdom that saved Obi-Wan I think he would have handled it differently. Take the Force push for example. Both were force-pushing at the same time. If Obi-Wan was so wise, he just needed to block it instead of force-pushing at the same time. It seemed like both were bragging at the same time to show off how strong they were.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006