"Light Literature" in Fantasy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moonlance, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Moonlance

Moonlance New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm working actually in something I've never done before (besides deciding to write amateur Fantasy!), which is:

Trying to write short stories of Fantasy (at the present moment at least, more likely episodic stories all of the same universe and mostly using the same crew of characters; and not necessarly in a logical event sequence, but sometimes yes.)

I'd pretty much like to know what do you think and/or know about this plan and/or even if has experience in this kind of writing and/or if would be willing to share some ideas about it here. :D

I'm actually very excited about the new possibilities that simply opened in front of my plane of vision after I've "realised that thing was actually possible in literature", instead of writing long or so Fantasy story books (novels I think that is). I must say I was greatly inspired by the general literary concept of 'illustrated books' (I like imagery very much, being and artist too), also by contemporary Japanese concept of 'light novel' format, and also by contemporary American aspects of 'pulp magazine' format, and many other things of course (like production and creative aspects of Animation TV series).

I visioned somehow some kind of 'incredibly' handy Fantasy 'experimentalism' writing through the production of small stories; I'm still gazing at it with some sort of amazement which seems difficult to explain.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    This is not a new concept. Though it isn't common in traditional publishing, it is out there: check out "Wild Cards" edited by George RR Martin as an example.
    Wizards of the Coast does something similar with their Forgotten Realms books (though the stories are generally novel-length admittedly).
    There are also tons of people who write fantasy short stories and publish them online for free at sites like www.fictionpress.com and www.wattpad.com. Some of these "publish for fun" authors also set their stories all in the same realm and with the same characters.
    Fan fiction authors do much the same thing though they use somebody else's world. Some of the best short stories I've ever read were based on Tolkein's world and were written by fan fiction authors. JK Rowling's Harry Potter world also has a HUGE amount of fan fiction associated with it.

I've written a series of short stories based on characters and a world I've created before too. Usually they're associated with novels that I've written and complement the novels in some way: filling in information between novels for example or elaborating on back-story. It's tons of fun so I hope you try it. It's less daunting to write a short story than a whole novel or series, that's for sure. It's also a good way to broaden your writing experience. The strategy for writing short stories is totally different than it is for novel writing after all. :)

3. Moonlance

Moonlance New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Those seems to be some neat references, Faerlind.
    Thank you for the developing. :)

I'll look forward to some of them as soon as possible.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I would also consider checking out:
    Fantasy & Science Fiction http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/ - also sold on Amazon's Kindle service http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZFZ4O8/ref=kin_dp_fsf_txt1

Asimov's Science Fiction https://www.asimovs.com/2013_02/index.shtml also sold on Amazon's kindle service http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asimovs-Sci...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358003545&sr=1-3

Both of those are very old and established magazines which have a regular selection of short stories in them by various authors. In fact many big authors often started cutting their teeth in the publishing world by getting their short stories published in those magazines and many also continue to write for them today. The short stories can sometimes be a filler for an existing series, an introduction adventure to a new series or even their own self contained short tale.

It would be a great place to get some inspiration as well as to see how pace, structure, scale and other elements of short stories fit together. Writing short has advantages over writing long, but it also makes things much more difficult as you don't have masses of space to expand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarkesworl...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358003545&sr=1-8 is another I would suggest reading, its newer and not as big as the other two, but for a small cost its yet another short story fantasy completion magazine that would be well worth considering for this (as well as generally to get some great new short stories to read).

5. Moonlance

Moonlance New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Aye! Overread; that will be very interesting to read too. Thank you. :)

6. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
  7. Moonlance

Moonlance New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Grain by grain, it appears that I have now good bibliotheque for the vacations, which starts tomorrow! :D Thanks again.