Life.

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Running Wolf, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if this is right in this section... Anyways.

This is a thread about Life, or, more precise, what Life is.

What is Life, in your opinion?

What do you expect from Life?

What is your ultimate goal in Life?

Is there any Life, or are we all one eternal dream of some :balrog: ?

Should Life be all fun and happy and love? Or should it be balanced?

Which philosophy do you think fits most?

In general: What is coming to your mind, when you think about Life?

Share, let us know, discuss with others about their views, we could try to write down a definiton for *Life* we could become more aware of its worth or doubt it more than ever.

How does that famous song go?

Life is live.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt84uBuGKNk

^ ^ warning mature and advanced Monty Python humour there

As for life itself I think its one of those things that is oft debated about because we can never fully agree on an answer, just varying viewpoints. Sometimes I wonder if this means that there isn't actually an answer we can understand to the question or that the question itself is not correct.

In the end as for me life is what it is - we each make our own little mark on it in our own way and we have to choose (or have chosen for us) both directly and indirectly the path we take through it. Plus no matter which options we take hindsight is always going to suggest an alternate rout we could possibly have taken.

3. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    the opposite of death

to live

to multiply :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Life is a board game trade marked by Milton Bradley.

Sometimes I'm a very deep thinker.

5. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    We had a small discussion in the Poll section about life earlier, this seems to be the offspring :) Said discussion is to be found Here

I think you misread me - happiness as you described it is shallow. And, in the end, the person who can't be content cannot be happy either. Life is not perfect and the brain is programmed in a way that makes us used to certain situations pretty quickly. So, even if you have everything, you still won't be happy. In stead, one might as well enjoy the journey to and through happiness - that would be much more productive. And I suppose being content is the present tense equivalent of that.

Well, I agree with you there. But I question the significance of this after having concluded that life is a neutral force and that human minds, which includes mine, are merely a figment of firing neurons and chemicals. All in the service, I might add, of our genetic make up. And not the other way around.

Maybe happiness is not realising this - I should have taken the blue pill.

No... I am pretty sure it's cogito ergo sum. Wiki says so anyway. I don't agree with him, though... I'd say it's I realise that I think - therefore I am. The identity is derived from the realisation. Ow wel...

Ow, and I don't believe in the soul - except when Aretha Franklin is involved ;)

Personally, I think the notion of a soul unimaginatively fills a void in our thinking for not being able to grasp the idea that our body can produce the cogito-ergo-sum experience. Let me be frank, we don't understand the brain. But we have been able to study it - and what it shows doesn't support a higher order to mind or cognition that could be called a soul.

I am even of the opinion that we, that is, our minds, are not the same "person" as we were 10 years ago. What we share with this person in time retracable to ourselves are our genetic make up, and their memories - in part and often, even, augmented.

6. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Life is what you make it.
    I don't think its anything definable.
    Existence equals life, but that doesn't help now does it ^^

Whether its happy, sad, horrible, or wonderful, it's solely on you. Nothing else. There's no event that can change your mind unless you allow it.
    Oh, life is also utterly absurd <3

7. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Totally. If we had found the ultimate answer, I guess most of us would have commited suicide by now... >.>
    Also I agree.

I never thought you'd be that deep. I mean, you're deep, but that deep?

The way Descartes thought was: "How do I know this is all real? I don't. I can't prove the outside world is real. I can't prove others exist either. Hell, do I even exist?... let me think about that... I can doubt the outside world, I can doubt others, I can doubt myself - but I can't doubt that I doubt. And I do doubt, so therefore I am"

Contrary to you I'm a firm believer of a soul. I even believe you have a soul :p

The problem with the soul is the same as it is with God. We can't really prove that it doesn't exist. And we can't prove that it does. So everyone decides for themselves if they believe in a concept of a soul. Of something that makes us unique.

Life
    ... for me is all the stuff that happens. And that doesn't happen.
    All the good things and all the bad.
    One huge experience, a gasp of air between the eternity before I was and the eternity after I was.
    Life is for me my own conscious small eternity of light in which I get to experience however much I dare to experience.
    On that outlook life is pretty sad, because it ends. But the prospect of a conscious eternity is even worse, so life is pretty awesome, I guess.

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

9. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There is no such thing as disproof of the unknown.

Do you think that even if we could program a human mind, people would say that's evidence that souls don't exist? I'm a materialist, but I recognize I couldn't disprove a dualist.

EDIT: Let me ask my dualist friend who just logged on.

EDIT 2: He says the existence of consciousness would be evidence of a soul.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0

Life, in my opinion, is simply existence. It's not about being good or bad, it's just about being.. and about being what and who you want to be. I also think that morals and life and reality are subjective.

I don't expect anything from life. It's not a fair cop, and that's something that most of us get to learn at a young age. I have come to expect that I will have to fight for everything that I want because so far, nothing has come easily. The only thing I truly expect is for life to keep going on, (long after the thrill of living is gone).

My ultimate goal in life is to become my true self. I want to be the person that I think I am, which isn't always easy. Other than that, I have petty and meaningless goals to get myself by ;)

I wonder sometimes whether or not life is real, as sometimes it doesn't feel real. I think it's a possibility that it could all be a dream, maybe something along the lines of the Matrix or whatnot.

The philosophy that suits me most for the moment is Daoism.

In general, what comes to my mind when I think about life is the fact that whether or not it's a dream or real... I want to make the most of it. I want to feel and have relationships and really invest myself in my life, because as far as I know, I only get one.

11. Western Paladin

Western Paladin Lawful Awesome Overgod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My philosophy is strong agnosticism/nihilism. I don't believe that life has any meaning, I don't believe the existance of eternal soul and therefore, I don't believe in rebirth, heaven or hell.

Totally agree!

12. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    We create our own meaning. There isn't any prescribed to us.

13. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What is Life, in your opinion?

Hummm, life is the state of living

What do you expect from Life?

I expect to have fun. I don't expect to die with no regrets, but I expect to die feeling like I've done everything I wanted to do.

What is your ultimate goal in Life?

To have fun, to love, to experience all that I want to and die satisfied.

Should Life be all fun and happy and love? Or should it be balanced?

Its always going to be balanced, there is no escaping the bad, but you should be able to see that the fun and love and happiness are worth experiencing the bad.

14. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    As a teenager, my goal in life was to do something great and be remembered for it one day. Nowadays (as an old woman of almost 22), I think about this a bit more rationally - or, what I'd consider rational. I don't think about what might happen after my death or whether someone might remember my name or what I've done. I only live for myself. I want to be happy, content, comfortable with what I'm doing and who I am.
    I usually don't think about what life or its sense is. I just simply live. Maybe, in that case, it's the ultimate goal to be able to look back at your past life when you're old and all the positive memories and experience outweigh all the bad things that have happened to you. I haven't really thought about that before, though.