Life after Star Wars.....???

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Padmé, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Thing is and I agree on this that there wasn't enough time to show Anakin as the cunning warrior in the Clone Wars, as Kenobi desribed him as in episode IV. They were moving on with the main plot in the prequels, namely of Anakin falling to the Dark Side. With the Clone Wars there is a chance to show the events that were missing from the prequels, which is why many adult fans, such as myself, even like this series. The movies of Star wars may be gone, but there is so much more to tell. You got a unique universe here that offers multiple chances to tell stories which you couldn't tell in another. And here's another point. Star Wars is something that goes from generation to generation. We had the old movies when we were younger, but Lucas wants to offer the latest generations something new as we had that and if we put SW to a rest, they won't have what we did. Yes they will have the movies, but the old trilogy is not something fresh and new. My own nephews all from a different age from three to nine always ache for more, because Star Wars still has a great impact on them.

So why put something down to rest that still lives on for so many people...

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Because unless one is wearing Rose Tinted Glasses +10 its clear to see that the original story telling and film directing skills have fallen to the landslide of the modern hollywood film machine (which mostly cares about the box office hit and teh trailer and not much more).

Even when you compare the comical parts from the original - such as the Ewoks - they never stoop anywhere near as low as the take the JarJar character in the first episode.

I agree there is a lot more to tell, but that doesn't mean that you should tell the story badly just to tell it ;)

(besides I think the original original films (and not just starwars) would stand up pretty well to a modern younger audience.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure you know the other stories that well, besides the movie. There are many good stories, besides the original trilogy in EU that are considered good, even better the prequels. I personally think the overall story of the prequels was better than thee original one, which was a lot more cliche. I agree on the comedy. It is much better in the classics, but in the end these films aren't comedies, they are fantasy movies. And what was lacking from Jar Jar Binks was made clear in one episode of the Clone Wars actually. One of the reasons the humour was better was of course the droids. And what made them so good was that they were a duo. in one episode Threepio is together with Jar Jar and I thought it was pretty funny. They would make a good comedy team for the show. But it was only shown in one episode.

And you're right, the films still are valuable to the younger generation, but like I said you want to offer them something new and fresh, which is one of the reasons he created the Clone Wars series. And you're wrong to think that it has fallen to the modern Hollywood landslide. In fact the Clone Wars is closer to the classics rather than the prequels. There's lots of parallels to the classics and they often use concepts which were created for the other movies, but were not shown. For example they made an episode of an ice planet, which showed you what Hoth was originally suppose to look like, based on Ralph Mcquarrie's paintings. They also used concepts of Coruscant he made for the classics. And everybody knows how very iimportant Ralph Mcquarrie's paintings were to the original star wars films. And the fact they now use them in the Clone Wars just gives me that old feeling back. But I guess you have to know these things to have that same feeling.

4. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I like that Jar Jar looks like he ended up in carbonite in SW:TFU, but maybe it's just a random gungan. well.. not that I hate him like some people do, but it was funny.

5. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I didn't mean to put it down at all, I am and have been a fan of the Star Wars idea for a long time. However I lost interest after seeing the Phantom menace and its ilk. I found them unlikable and unlikely to stand the test of time like the original trilogy has, but thats my opinion! :p
    Maybe I am cynical, but I can't help but view every installment in the saga as a cash cow these days...
    I feel that you can overdo things sometimes, and the Star Wars Franchise (Which is what it is now) is one of these things. But I suppose as long as people are happy to watch it and pay money to do so, it will roll on and on.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I am just glad they are making this effort to gather these guest stars for the next story arc in The Clone Wars. They have Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn) and Pernilla August who will reprise her role of Shmi Skywalker. Sam Witwer (Starkiller) and Adrienne Wilkinson (Maris Brood) will also be in it.

Who Sam Witwer is going to play is very interesting. It's like he is the embodiment of the Dark Side of the Force itself... Weird, but interesting. Adrienne Wilkinson will play his sister, the embodiment of the Light Side.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I read something about Lord of the Rings on the official website of Star Wars. It's an homage in the episode of the Clone Wars called 'Altar of Mortis' to the Two towers:

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    New movie coming out. George Lucas and Marvel decide to make a new movie of Vader's prime years so I give you Vader... The man with the iron fist!
    [​IMG]

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Looks like Palpatine went to 'Pimp My Apprentice' :p

10. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    heh I laughed.

as for the phantom menace.. at first I hated it and thought it was an insult to starwars but.. to be honest it isn't that bad really.. I quite like it now especially the saber/sword play. mind you it makes the vader/luke fights look lame in the originals.. obi-wan was mental and if anakin was that insane with the saber.. why is he so slow in the the old movies?... ok its movies dont get me wrong but.. they could have tried to at least blend the sword play better. That is my only grudge. I dont mind the new movies. Used to think they were crap but after watching startrek.. omg so far superior.. made me wake up. not that has much to do with anything haha.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Many people are getting a new opinion on The Phantom Menace or the prequels in general. I think when it first came out it just didn't feel like Star Wars. Is it like the OT? No f*cking way! But is that necessarily a bad thing? It is supposed to be a contrast to the times in the OT, so the fact that it's different is meant to be. And yeah the acting... I think people are never going to accept that Lucas tried to imitate a '30 style acting and will always call it bad wooden acting, or that he failed in doing so. But the acting comes second, or even third to me. I look at the story first and Lucas may not be a good director, but he's a good storyteller. And yeah he's a businessman. So he's milking it out, but at the same time he also wants to just develop Star Wars for each new generation. The prequels weren't meant for us, yet if you let go of all the hate you had for them, you can enjoy them as much as the newer generation. I certainly did. And the fighting Alex? Well these guys are getting old. lol. It just shows that the days when the Jedi were at their prime are over. And Luke is being trained by an old small alien who can only teach him from what he remembers. Yoda was getting weaker, despite how strong he was in the prequels. So Luke can only learn what he's given. And since the glory of the Jedi is over, he only gets the leftovers... Oh well... He'll get better lol.