Life after Death

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Wing Rider, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This may be slightly similar to the topic on God: what's going to happen after death? Do you get judged by God, or get dumped into Hell, or stuck in Purgatory, or alternatively just cease to exist? Or something other than that which is more complicated?

2. Schmavid

Schmavid A simple wanderer.

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well for me I believe that I will be judged by God and spend an appropriate amount of time in purgatory for my sins before I get into heaven. There will be o white coulds and angels with wings in heaven, there will be the souls of all who have existed and all who are yet to exist and they will be happier then they can ever be because they are there with God, embracing Him and able to share in His ultimate knowledge.

3. Zanven

Zanven Cult Classic Connoisseur

Sitting In A Bunker, Here Behind My Wall.
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would like to think that there is life after death, but I just find it so hard to believe. If there is life after death, what was the point of this life? If my whole life on this Earth, was naught but a Test to see if I deserve to go to Heaven, then why bother? I've heard from many preachers, that He knows all thats happened and all that will be. Alpha and Omega. But if he knows all, and he knows that I will choose to live a lifestyle different from His teachings, he didn't need to create me in the first place.

I guess that makes me fall into the 'cease to exists' catagory, even though thats not what I want to believe.

4. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I believe in an after life, and will be Judged by God.

Zanven, God does know all that will happen and has happened, but since the future is dictated not by fate but by free will and choice there are many many outcomes. He knows each and every outcome. Does that make sense? It all boils down to the choices you make.

5. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Alchemist, you are one deep dude, when it comes to Christianity. ; P I don't understand free-will either. If he knows all, he knows what choices we are going to make, thus, no free will.

6. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Just because He knows what the outcomes of our choices are doesnt mean we cannot choose ourselves.
    For it to be a lack of free will, He would have to dictate our actions, therefore telling us and forcing us what to do.
    By sitting in the backgroud of things, He lets us make our own choices, He knows the consequences of those choices but not what our choices are going to be exactly. Its kinda compicated, and you need to look at it in an abstract way. Im not even saying I fully understand it, I mean who can really even begin to fathom who and what God really is, the Bible itself really doesnt even stratch the surface and there is no way our febel human minds can comprehend all that is God.
    This is just my take on it.

The best i can explain it I guess is that each person has their own infinite set of choices to make in their life, God knows all those choices, but its up to you and you alone to make those choices and when you do another set of inifinite choices become available depending on your previous choice.
    God knows the choices and the outcomes, but its up to the person to make the choice.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  7. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, that makes more sense thatn other things I have heard. Some other guy started talking about a 'pulley' system, and how one rope is... and the other.....well...the point is that your thing makes more sense = P

8. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I personally do believe in an afterlife. However saying that I don't think that it will all be white clouds and angels or the opposite, I believe it will be a place that trascends human senses that are based around the limits of the body and that as it is the soul that goes into heavy these limits would be lifted.

As for where you go I believe that there is a purgatory where you go before entering heaven. No ones perfect and if god knows all then he will have realised that people can not be perfect as that is the nature of humans.

9. Wing Rider

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I was under the impression that after you die you just stop right there, and rot away. :)
    But alternatively, I would like to think that that is NOT the case. If God does know all the outcomes, surely he should have gone mad by now? Millions of outcomes, all happening at once, and if just one thing is changed, a billion more outcomes all change immediately.
    Anyway maybe I think I probably won't meet God at all (he probably won't bother to turn up for each and every one of us, and certainly not for me) but at least I should meet something. An angel would be a great improvement. If they have loads of fantasy books in the afterlife I'd certainly want to go there. :)

10. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Thats what a human would do, go mad, God is not human, not close, like I said we cannot even begin to imagine what and who God is, we cannot even begin to try to understand His mind.

11. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Since i don't believe in the existance of God (or deities in general), i don't believe in afterlife either. When you die, you die, that's it, end of the line.

12. Ulfygg

Ulfygg New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm a member of the nothing camp. But I do think that if their was a God and life after death, my guess would be that this God would be so far beyond our understanding that if we were to be judged it wouldn't be by any morality a human could understand.

13. Impresario5

Impresario5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe in a lot of that. Yes, God knows the outcomes of our actions. But God still influences our actions, whether consciously or not. He may ask you to do something personally, or influence you in a more indirect way. But yeah....you still have the ability to choose.

14. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    He can't do that, ethically. (I know, I know, God can do whatever he wants, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: ) If he influences you in any way, (btw, how does he do that?), he is breaking one's right of Free-Will. We must be free to make our own choices, if we have free will. It's not right to say "You know Zane, you can do anything you want, but if you do this...It sure would make me happy.." How are you supposed to deny God?
    If you are Holy enough for him to talk directly to, why does he have to ask in the first place?

(And if you reveice these messages often, I would suggest a CAT scan.)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  15. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    God does try to point people on the right path and will try to get people to be the best that they can. God loves in a way that humans are unable to understand, I think that Christianity's biggest problem is that God did visit Earth as a man. People therefore think of Him as far more human than he is. Jesus was part of God and yet He was also a man. He felt pain, fear and a sense of loss. He knew that He had to die on the cross and yet he prayed for many hours in the garden to try and see if He could avoid that fate.

Of course, that brings up another issue, prayer itself. Prayer exists for humans to speak to God and tell Him how they feel. Of course God is already aware of how we feel and exactly what we think, prayer exists to help us as humans feel closer to God and to be aware of the state of mind that we are in. It lets us speak to God and ask Him for what we may need in our lives. God is omnipitent and omniscient, He is everywhere, can see and hear everything and knows everything, God knows all your secrets and He forgives your sins. Even the worst of people, a child molestor of the worst kind is forgiven by God and can get closser to Him in the afterlife if they repent.

16. Zanven

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, not everyone may repent for thier sins, what about Blasphmers? Isn't Blasphemy unforgivable?

17. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    erm... I suppose how far said blasphemy and your death are removed from each other...

Say, if you blasphemise; after which a piano drops on your head, you had no chance to ask for forgiveness and solemnly swear to better yourself.

However, if you do have that time, I see no reason why you wouldn't go to heaven.

Ow, hasn't everyone blasphemised at some point of rage in his/her life?

18. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Actually, blasphemy is not fully explained. It was mentioned after some palestines where calling Jesus's miracles and works, satanic.
    So, it seems blashpemy is knowingly calling the works of God the works of Satan. So true blasphemy is not that common as some think and so not everyone has.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  19. Wing Rider

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    What if you shout to the sky that you hate God? Would that be blasphemy? I'd just like to check quickly before I do anything stupid...

20. Schmavid

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It depends on your point of view. Personally I think that the only way you will end up in hell is that if you don't repent at your time of judgement or refuse to in purgatory. If you repent when you have the chance to, even after death, then that is still repentance.

Search tags for this page

uekskuell