Lets talk about Sanderson

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by DefyTheOdds, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DefyTheOdds

DefyTheOdds Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Anything related to Brandon Sanderson's works.

I've read and listened all of the 'Cosmere' pieces (multiple times) and I am currently reading Skyward and listening to Firefight from his Reckoners series.

I have a Bridge 4 decal on my rear bumper and I am definitely getting a Knights Radiant tattoo at some point.

I can't be the only one on here who is a fan.

2. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Ancient One

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -2
    Never heard of it, tell me more and it might get added to my ever growing list........(is sadly a slow reader)

3. DefyTheOdds

DefyTheOdds Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, talking about his work is a bit of a massive undertaking.

First let me explain one thing. He has Cosmere works and Non-Cosmere works. The Cosmere is a sort of a universe he is building for himself with a bunch of standalone novels or series within this universe. At first glance you wont realize that they are connected, and in reality you never have to make the connection, they are brilliant works that can legitimately stand up to any other series on their own. But once you get a little more immersed in his work and start completing more of these Cosmere books you go....wait a second.....that guy.....he's the same as the other guy.....what....what's going on here?!? and then you go back and check and you do some research online and you realize you've just stepped into something incredible. My reading experience was entirely this, I didn't have any forewarning about the Cosmere and I just picked up Mistborn Trilogy on the Nook store because it was bundled and discounted at the time.

From GoodReads
    Next his Non-Cosmere books are just as good! I've only just started working my way through his other books but I am enjoying every page of them. He simply is a great writer.

The Stormlight Archive (Cosmere)
    Sword and Magic large format fantasy series, currently with 3 novels all over 1000 pages and one novella, that follows characters through a war that is in the death throes of itself. Multiple character perspectives both male and female who have definitely gone through some traumatic shit and attempt to raise above it. Out of all his books these are my favorite. Here is a quote for the series from GoodReads
    Mistborn Series 1 (Cosmere)
    Pre Industrial era magic 'medium' format series, with 3 novels over 500 pages and one novella. This is written primarily from an abused girl's point of view that is trying to get lost in the thieving crews of the largest city in the Final Empire, an oppressive government that has been ruled for the last 1000 years by a God and then finds herself pitted against that exact figure. I can't really talk about the other two books in the series without sort of ruining the first but simply put, its damn good. From Recaptains
    Mistborn Series 2 (Cosmere)
    Post Industrial era guns and magic small-to-medium format series, 3 novels 350-450 pages with another one on the way and 1 novella.
    Wayne is by far one of my favorite characters ever.

If you couldn't tell I am running out of steam, this post has taken me over an hour so far (multiple breaks due to a 9 month old) so I am going to take a break.

Let just wrap up by saying all of Brandon Sanderson's magic systems are truly amazing. The way he rights them they feel real. You can see the structure to them, you can see the possibilities. He hints at the merging of some abilities, and in the Wax and Wayne series its all about merging of two different powers and watching things unfold. You can't help but sit and wonder which abilities would I want, how would I use them, what crazy shenanigans could I get myself into or out of? Reading his books are fun while you're reading them and fun while you're thinking about them.

4. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Ancient One

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -2
    Wow; you really did put a lot into that!! I appreciate the information and your love for the series really does shine through. I shall put it higher on my list of things to read rather then just tacking it onto the bottom. Thank you very much!

5. TirelessSeven

TirelessSeven Active Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I agree, great post, DefyTheOdds.

I haven't read a Brandon Sanderson book for years. The only series I ever read was Mistborn, which I really liked, at first - up until Vin defeated the Lord Ruler. I thought it was a really cool idea to dispose of the central antagonist at the end of book 1 in the trilogy and have the world itself become the antagonist in the next 2 books (and the magic system is really clever and well considered). I just found the second and third books a bit of a slog - I thought the plot developed too slowly.

I've also read a few of his other novels, which, at the time were considered stand-alone. Warbreaker was my favourite of those - again, the magic system was brilliant - but I gather it's actually part of the Cosmere series/universe, which I think is cool (I had no idea).

Have you read Way of Kings series? I plan to read those, I've had a couple of people recommend them to me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  6. DefyTheOdds

DefyTheOdds Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Woah dude, I think you need a spoiler tag in that first paragraph. I can see what you mean by feeling like the 2nd and 3rd books are a bit slower, they have a much different scope than the first book. I would still urge you to read the second series, I personally like it much more than Vin's storyline.

The series is called The Stormlight Archive, so yeah lol I've read it more than once.

I am currently listening to Warbreaker. At least two of the main characters show up in the Stormlight books but like I was saying you don't really need to know who they are and why they would be in this new world to make the connection. They actually go by different names so most people don't realize it until someone either points it out or you go back for a reread looking for connections.

7. TirelessSeven

TirelessSeven Active Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks, I thought it might have been one of the ones you mentioned, but wasn't sure. Looking through all the books and seeing how many actually tie-in, it's pretty amazing. He has to be one of the hardest working people in fantasy. I like his podcast 'Writing Excuses', I've listened to a lot of those, they're fun and informative.