Lets start another RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Human sub species.... i like it, i can do a lot with that. when do you plan on making this?

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I never even had a Dwarf in mind for a main character, I just thought they were cool. The topic is kinda funny lol

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    we're still drafting ideas, and entry is subject to the application process outlined previously.

Hmmm, all this bureaucracy must have kick started by British genes. EVERYONE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE.

4. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I thought the British would have kick started an Aristocracy.

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    There's still time for that...

6. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Queue is one of the best words in the English language. I realize that's not a particularly relevant comment, but still.

Anyway, do you guys have ideas about the magic system you were going to go with? I'm just curious.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    nothing yet, but I'm imaging basic and not overly-powerful.

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Right so I'm working on a map currently based on an idea I have concerning the current political situation and how it will link in to this "ultimate baddie" goal.

I will try and have it up asap to help us determine what's going to happen for this RP.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Written my character, actually I wrote it earlier today before all this, thinking 'damn if only there was an RPG on the go' well there is now. some of it may need toning down though.

10. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I wrote up a character, but I still need some information about plot and such before finishing.

11. Dastardly Mr. Fletch

Dastardly Mr. Fletch New Member

If you've seen one town you've seen them all, just
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to write a character, but are we for sure in the fantasy realm? like technology and look wise

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Now you know how the Asians feel!

So, KTQT and I are talking and we agree that not too much magic is best.

We've come up with a tentative idea so far:

-Magic can only be inherited by blood. You can't be taught unless you inherited the blood, and although there's no understanding of technology in this world, it's essentially a recessive gene, but slightly different. I'm toying with the idea of suggesting that it's sex-linked as well (to an X chromosome), which would make female runewitches far less common.
    -The system of magic is based on a written set of runes which, similar to East Asian characters, mean words. The original language has been lost for several hundred years (perhaps due to a natural disaster or a plague?) and the runewitches are slowly trying to recover lost runes. There are about 50-60 common runes (fire, healing bloody wounds, distance, wind, etc.) that all common runewitches know. However, because there are rivalries between runewitches, different "schools" of magic (through exhaustive research on ancient scrolls and the like) that have discovered other, more complex runes, are only taught to their adherents. Some of the greatest runewitches know perhaps two or three other runes which they don't reveal to anyone else.
    -The runes must be written and dried on fabric (silk retains the power best) in the runewitch own blood; to use the rune, the runewitch folds the fabric in half, takes it into his mouth, and breaths out, which causes the rune to leave the fabric and dissipate into thin air. If it is aimed (and blown) correctly, the rune will hit the target.
    -The previous point means that those "special runes" are almost never used, as an enemy runewitch can discover very easily how it's written.
    -Powerful runewitches (determined by their blood and lineage) produce stronger effects, and are able to use more powerful runes (runes are graded in terms of strength). For example, a weak runewitch using the fire rune might be able to light a campfire; an incredibly powerful runewitch may be able to set a man on fire (and only one man. Maybe two at the max.)
    -Some few mages have experimented mixing runes together, which is incredibly dangerous because there is a high risk of dying if you mix the wrong runes together. However, for example, they have discovered that combining the runes for wind, distance, and another rune will cause the rune to blow out even further.
    -More powerful runes are "heavier;" they are difficult to blow correctly, and do not go far. The rune for a (minor, small-scale, limited to a circle with a radius of 5-10 feet max) earthquake is one of the most powerful and cannot be used by weak runewitches, and cannot go much farther than 20 feet, even using the wind/distance runes listed above.
    -Major disadvantages for runewitches: anything that obscures their vision and screws up their respiration (smoke is a popular weapon against runewitches). Also, they are line of sight, and their range isn't very far, even with mixed runes (obviously lighter runes have longer range).
    -Windy days screw up runewitches. Badly.
    -There's an exhaustive amount of training involved. The runes must be written exactly without a single error, or else it will backfire on the runewitch. It can take 4-6 months to learn how to write the most simple of the runes; it is a lifelong study. For that reason, many with magical potential choose not to be trained.
    -The breath and blood must be of the same person; going back to techy terms, it's determined by the genetic code of the runewitch.
    -Runewitches, to ready themselves for battle, often pre-write their runes on the silk, and stitch them onto garments. This way, they can just rip off the cloth and use them whenever necessary.

13. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Emily and I will write up our characters, but first we need a brief world history and culture description from you, since it was your idea ;)

14. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    That magic system sounds complicated, can I just have grenades to throw at people. :confused:

If the gene is sex linked to an X chromosome, females would be twice as likely to show the trait. We are XX and men are XY. Unless it's something along the lines of colorblindness where the lack of the identical gene on the Y chromosome makes the trait more likely to be expressed.

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The rune idea is good, but something is putting me off. Yes it is slightly complex, but that's not exactly it...

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of having magic as written words, in blood etc. Not so keen on the putting it int he mouth and blowing part, that just seems off to me, but its definitely a good start.

17. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I agree about the mouth blowing thing. I can see where you'd be going with that, because there has to be some sort of limitation to the magic.... is there something else we could come up with?

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I'm not too keen on genetics being the limiter, because this sort of thing would be "bred" into greater numbers if anything.

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    really? if anything, being as risky and dangerous as it is with the long learning curve there would be few with the ability and fewer still who lasted long enough to procreate. sounds reasonable enough for a relative rarity.

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well taking if from a combined point of "people want power" and natural selection process of the better adapted to survive surving I just assumed these sort of people would procreate amongst themselves.

The learning curve would be naturally shortened over time, as generations learn how to control what they are doing in better ways.

Additionally, I think I've got a nice character concept. Hopefully this RP actually starts at the end of this week (just got to finish these last short exams) and I can have him up.