Lets start another RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Okay I need to flex my writer's quill, feels like forever since I've written anything, and evne though I am somewhat overworked at the moment I feel the need to start some writing.

So lets get some pople interested and brainstorm some ideas, I'm looking for some level of committment, as I'd rather it didnt die after the first month.

2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    i would like to join.
    We need some RP in nowadays. Like the assassin group - which target is president.
    Or smth like that. in Nowadays or future, but i,only if i could , will join to any RP :D

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You're going to have to start recruiting rather than looking for people to join. Taking in members who know who can RP over time and well.

4. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    A good point, you interested met?

5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You know I'm always interested, plus my workload will lessen soon, so I should be able to keep up properly.

I suggest sending out PM's to people and then asking them to post in here. Further suggestions include heavy/in depth defining of technology status, setting, etc. I know it seems nice to have a nice free and open RPG, but I think giving people certain parameters to work within really helps. It may feel like forced direction, but it would be fairly loose, but no so loose that everyone goes off at different tangents.

I think that sort of thing can be helped defined by the world's setting and status. I know it seems like I'm voicing out loud what seems obvious, but I think it helps to be reminded.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    good idea again, so for now how about we start listing some ideas.

I'm thinking going back to classic fantasy setting, but no ideas for a story yet. Got a character idea though.

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    -i got char. idea
    and some kind of story too -

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't really have any character ideas until we have a world with a basic theme. That's so my character actually fits in the world.

Hopefully we can get some of the older regs in as they usually have good ideas and are "well-read" in the fantasy world.

P.S. Edited my previous post.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well I added sen and Lia to my outgoing PM, those two are good RPers from back in the day, dunno if they'll make it. not seen sen on TFF for a while...

10. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I'll join if the theme interests me enough

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lia's present, just not posting, I can get her involved if I can get her interested, but Sen seems to be busy. I think we can try I.R and Appaliq aswell. I saw LoS post quite recently, so maybe we can get her interested. I think Unraveller might be a cool addition, providing he's into that sort of thing, not really seen him RP before.

Kakashi doesn't seem too bad for a young 'un, so we can look to him aswell imo.

Edit: Oh yea, ole Nik aswell :p

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Met, youre right on our points made, though I do think its best to have soem collaboration in idea generation to keep people interested as they'll have some prior investment in the story.

but once it gets down we will need some stringent story arcs to keep things moving.

Anyway so lets get some ideas down.

The nations of Tanith and Rekethal are on the verge of war, it has been nearly a decade since their last open conflict from which neither has trully recovered. As all the nations about the narrow sea try their best to prevent the outbreak of war, there are foces at work trying to exaccerbate the situation for their own gain.
    Both the King of Tanith and the Rekethalli High council are doing their best to quell their own forces without seeming weak all the while minor skirmishes are happening on the long shore and across the narrow sea, can there really be peace?
    All breaths are held when the King goes missing while inspecting the nation's borders, and both sides seek to find the truth behind his disappearance before both countries are destroyed in the onslaught.

Just the first thing off the top of my head, political intrigue etc.

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    couple of them were cc'd in my PM, and I'll try the others.

Unraveller has RPed before, I remember, though I think it was just in the wheel of time one. they're some of the oldies, but theyre pretty reliable so its worth a shot.

14. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Sure I'll join, but I don't have an idea right now, and with profiencies coming up I will need to study, but on wendsday I will be free of al of that

15. Dastardly Mr. Fletch

Dastardly Mr. Fletch New Member

If you've seen one town you've seen them all, just
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll take any excuse to RPG, I guarantee I'll probably like whatever idea comes up, and my schedule is that I would be a dependable participant

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I'm all for political intruige aslong as it is not the defining factor of the RP, but a strong force that drives events into motion.

I like that narrow sea idea, I just had an idea for a quick map that would help the whole political situation. Although I'm having to contend with geographical differentiation between river and sea lol

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Go for it, all i had pictures was a narrow sea, with the two nations across from eachother near one end, but not adjacent. anything else is up to you.

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    sup fool, you didn't even have to get me interested. ;P I have 8 days to make KT so miserable IRL that she'd agree to join, too. At least if this RPG actually interests me. However, we're thinking about collaborating on our own story (starting to work on it this week), and since I apparently write more than she does (not to mention have more time, AND I've temporarily quit gaming - might be getting WoW soon), so if she won't post, she's given me permission to write posts for her and her characters. (More like I threatened her and she was like "FINE" but it amounts to the same thing.

Note: If she won't join, I won't join. If I won't join, she won't join. And if neither of us are interested, neither of us will join.

Also, suggestions:
    1) Define magic. Keep it simple.
    2) Define races. Don't allow any new magic or races to be introduced after the RPG has started. Yeah, I know I broke BOTH of those rules 10295810958x in RPG#9, but the thing is, me/you/Sasha/KT were all used to working together, and plus there were only 4 people involved.
    3) If people don't post, I WILL either quit or just go on infamous post whore rampages again. Depends on how much writing of my own I'm managing to accomplish on the side.
    4) Sounds silly, but I'd also suggest working this on stereotypical RPG/fantasy novel lines. There's a goal, and people want to get it. Something as open-ended as this will just die. Make a magic object, or an evil overlord, or something silly and stupid and stereotypical. RPG #9 had an absolutely horrendously stereotypical plotline. And it had almost 350 pages in MS word in single-spaced Times New Roman 12pt font with only FOUR major posters.
    5) Plz don't limit characters on me. People never post as much as they promise they will, but if I have the freedom to make multiple characters, it's easier for me to keep the RPG alive. :(

19. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I'll play if it's interesting enough. I guess.

Also, I also insist that we have to keep standards up in this RPG. For example:

-No super short, one-paragraph posts.
    -USE MICROSOFT WORD to write your posts and USE SPELL-CHECK
    -Proper grammar please. Or I will go grammar nazi on your azz. And so will Liadan.
    -Don't start a character, get involved, and then quit or leave (unless you kill off your character or unless someone volunteers to pick up writing for you)
    -No god-moding. PERIOD.

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    All terms are reasonable and will be submitted into the RPG mission statement.

to ensure solid commitments, not just in time but to quality, we're going elitist with this RPG, that makes it invitation only, regular posters won't have a problem, newer posters will have to submit a well written character profile as an example of writing skill etc. There will then be a silent ballot from current members (PM votes yay/nay to me) whether or not to admit entrance.

I'll define magic, races et al prior to the start once we have a background set. If we are going to built on the provisional idea we have places the generic quest will be to track down the missing king and to prevent the outbreak of war, although members can side with the opposition to this action, and there can be different parties established by each of the nations on the brink of war who can act as antagonists to eachother without overarching evil involved. Though all this is subject to change.

Are we all in agreement?