Legolis Quiver

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Christophe of Grey, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Legolas Quiver

OK folks, question. On the extended version CDs, in the gallery section, they show the Legolas quiver. The dark version has elven trim at the top and bottom but no peacock. Other times I see this quiver with the peacock. Which one is right or does it make a difference? I'm about to design one of these and I would like to get it right.

Also, how import would it be to have the bow holder attachment to the quiver? It appears to me, as an archer, that this would only work if the bow were strung. Generally archers unstring their bows when not in use to preserve the bow limbs.

Thanks for your help,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
  2. Jagar

Jagar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Legolas quiver with the peacock on it is the quiver that was given to him in Lothlorien. The dark version is the original quiver he started with from Mirkwood. They're both right. You'd just need to decide on which one you like better.

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I don't like wood quivers, to bulky. But the bow harness or holster, um it depends onwhat you like, carry your bow strung it works. I don;t know if it works unstrung. I would'nt think it could.

4. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Elvenblademaster,
    Thanks for the input. I agree, a bow that is not strung does not work! I've been trying to figure out the bow harness as included in the Legolis quiver. There is a piece between the actual quiver itself and the knife holders. When I see Legolis using the quiver with bow in it in the moive, the bow is strung. It seems to me that the bow would have to be strung for the holder to work, else there would not be a large enough cross section, bow limbs against the taugt string, for the holder to work. Ideas?

5. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    dude just for embaresment sake Legolas is spelled with an "a" in between the l and s not an "i". I changed it in your posts before, but your still doing it. The only way you could make a bow holster is like this. On the back or side of the quiver you would have to have the basic design always used, the circular leather straps, but at the bottom you would have to have a tube of leather wide enough to enclose the bow and hold it firmly, then the straps that are on the side near the handgrip would need to tighten the bow to the quiver. Thereby supporting the bow inside the tube,(which would need to be at least 3 to 6 inches deep depending on the bow length) and restricting the side to side movement on the back with the straps. I can see it in my head but it is probebly not clear enough for anyone else, I hope you get the general idea.

6. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Re: Legolas Quiver

elvenblademaster,
    Thanks for the spell check note. While I'm a very fast typer I remain "letter challenged". I tend to spell things phonetically and that often leads to mis-spellings.

I just posted the picture of the LegolAs quiver on the Art Gallery page under my name. This shot is showing the backside of the quiver. I'm seeing a "boot" of leather between the quiver back and the sword holders. It seems to me that if this "boot" were wide at the top and narrower at the bottom, think like a half circle shape, it would hold a strung bow, of the length LegolAs uses in the movie, without it falling out the bottom. The bow could then just be slid into the holder and retrieved by simply reaching back and extracting. Much like retrieving an arrow from the quiver. It would seem to me that the downside is that the lower part of the bow would be hitting the back of your legs when walking or running. I made a quiver belt for use in SCA combat archery that was basically a belt with loops into which I was able to stick groups of five arrows, nock down. Problem was, every time I tried to run, the nocks jabbed into the backs of my legs! I'm thinking the same issue may happen here with this design. I'm of the impression that the design is so that LegolAs can extract the bow when needed much like he can with his knifes.

Comments?

7. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    just strap the thing onto the quiver real tight then when you want it, just reach back and unstrap it.

8. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I thought about that. When you look real close at the picture you can see the strap going through the "bow holder". I was thinking though, that it would seriously increase the cool factor if the bow could be withdrawn from its holder without having to take the quiver off to unstrap it.

9. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No don't take the quiver off, just make it to where you can reach around with your right hand and undo the strap just like taking off you belt.

10. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  11. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Sefranox,
    Great pictures! Thanks.

12. Firebow

Firebow New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't say that's the *only* way....

Let's see, I can't find the link I used to have, but IIRC, Legolas' quiver was wood, and attached to a harness, said harness was leather and held the bow in a sleeve (strung or unstrung) as well as holding the knives (which were specifically set for the left and right hand).

As for how else you can do it, well, the rig I've had since around summer 95 would work... slightly larger quiver, set for a right hand arrow pull, short sword (same langth as my arrows amusingly enuff) in integral sheath on far right side of quiver, and two straps on the left to hold the bow, strung or unstrung (tho it works better unstrung) The two straps (thongs in this case) tie the bow just above adn below the handle of the bow, where the limbs meet the risers. Holds it just fine, and I can untie both ties easily enuff. I have no pix of the quiver scanned yet, but I'll see if I can get some...

As for wood quivers, most I've seen tried were too bulky, but I imagine if one is a good enuff woodworker (and you use soem goood polyurethane) you can make the walls thin enuff so it's not bulky... also depends on how many arrows (and what kind of heads) you plan to carry.

Just my 2 cents

13. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Firebow,
    Great input. Question, if your bow is held to the quiver with thongs, one above and one below the handle, I can visualize removing it without taking the quiver off. How about putting it back on the quiver?
    You mentioned that you had a reference for the Legolas quiver being made of wood? I'd be interested in that reference if you can find it. You could make the quiver as seen out of leather. Shaping leather is really not that difficult and once shaped, it could be "slightly" hardened to retain the shape permanently.

14. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have the pattern for the holster, if you are interested let me know, send me a PM. I will be gone for a few days and returning hme on friday.

15. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a picture. Its a bit small, but its a pretty good picture of the full thing, plus the shoulder/back piece.

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page

lothlorien quiver