Legolas "White" Knives Scabbards

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by elrond243, Apr 18, 2004.

1. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    legolas WHITE knives scabards

im a tad bit frustrated with the fact that the fighting knives have black scabbards . does anyone else fell this way? its fair that they finaly made them and put some good work into them but it doesn't match the movie or the blades.

2. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Re: legolas WHITE knives scabards

I also am unhappy with the brown scabbards. But I am more upset with the name.

If the handles arn't white, and the scabbards arn't white, why are they called Legolas' white knives????

I might buy one day, though. If you look closely at the scabbards, they have some intricate designs on them. very nice.

3. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Doesn't any one read the posting rules?

4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

^^^^^ I always try to...

5. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think they are fine. They match the knives very nicely. If I had the money I would buy the knives and the scabbard!

6. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They're not called not the white knives, thats just what the fans are calling them.

7. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling this will be zapped in the near future

8. Sindarking01

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you know i am getting that same feeling

9. Aragorn II Elessar

Aragorn II Elessar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if any one bothered to watch TTT you'd see that the knives and scabbards that UC makes match the ones used by legolas. white knives are from the beginning of FOTR, get over it!

10. Sindarking01

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    exactly my point. they didn't make white knives they made his fighting knives. I would totally like some ivory knives, but for the time being i'll stick withe yellow ones.

11. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I never knew what they were or cared what color they were until I saw the picture or the description on BBB's website. In the description they were called white and the picture made the handles look white. Then I saw pictures of the actual production version. They weren't what I expected and I got upset (sue me). Then I started to look at the DVD's closer and noticed there were two different color handles that changed throughout the movies. People started saying that it was lighting or digital effects that made the handles change color. But, if that were true I think other characters' props and costumes would have changed significantly also. That wasn't the case.
    The only noticeable difference was the color of the handles on Legolas' knives. The only conclusion I came up with is that two sets of knives were used. There were scenes where Legolas was in dim light and the knives still looked white and there were scenes with bright light and the knives had the orangish brown color. And, besides, Weta Workshop and New Line labeled them 'White Knives' on the Fellowship Extended DVD in the Legolas gallery. Both versions of the knives are pictured and both are called white. I don't what they were called in Tolkien's books but in the films they were called 'white knives' buy the people who made the films.

Oh...The scabbards pictured on the DVD with the knives are white also. But.. the scabbards used in the films were actually brown. I think the brown ones were used instead because you could hardly even notice the scabbards with the rigging on Legolas' back. :D

12. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

FYI
    Tolkein described Legolas as having a single white knife on his belt.

13. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

United Cutlery was supplied with the props from New Line Cinema to base there reproductions on. The props supplied to them were the scabbards and knives that Legolas used at the battle for Helms Deep. If you will take the time to watch the movie you will see that the knives are the same color there.

This is the ones United reproduced. The pictures supplied to us, Blades by Brown and most other retailers are of the knives used in other parts of the films. This picture came out way before the Two Towers was released and most likely before United even knew which type of knives they were going to get from New Line so they choose for what ever reasons not to change the pictures or descriptions of the product. I cant explain this as well as Kit did but the fact is that the ones they reproduced are indeed the same color of what New Line supplied them with and are what they wanted them to look like. That is what it is and it will not change now in the middle of the stream. You either like them and will get them or you don't and you will abstain from them. Sorry not trying to be a smart ass but that is the way it is.

Now on a positive note United has hinted that they may remake a pair of knives that are like the ones in the photos. Notice I said hinted. SO at least there is hope that the folks not happy with the color of the handles will get there wishes fulfilled.

14. Sindarking01

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the *hint* Swordsman, any new info whether it be good or not so good, is always appreciated.

15. iggyp

iggyp New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UC never called them white knives.

16. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is not new info to me. That info was presented in a previous discussion that went on way too long. I believed I proved my point there and I would prove my point again for those newbies who missed out before.

UC can only reproduce the props they were given by Weta Workshop and New line Cinema. My point was that there were two different sets of knives used in the film. One had light colored handles and the other had darker handles. I said Weta sent UC the wrong props. Others disagreed. What I originally meant by 'wrong props' was that the props UC recieved were different from what they thought. UC's artist released a picture of white handled knives. The knives UC got had darker handles. UC was obligated to replicate those knives due to the license agreement. Although Kit eventually caved and said White knives might be possible in the future. However, he did not quarantee this.

A drawing of that single white knife was also pictured on the Fellowship Extended DVD, but as far I know it was never used in the films. If it was could someone please tell which movie and scene. I think PJ decided to use a pair of knives to change things up. Everybody else in the movies had a single sword. I think PJ wanted Legolas to stand out more by having to short swords and using fighting techniques taken from martial arts.

17. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeezz..... I thought that is what I said in the first place. Except on a lot shorter version....why the attitude?

18. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I know. I thought I would go little more in depth for the newbies that are bringing up the same issue again.

Attitude???.....I don't have no stinking attidude!!! :halo:

19. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I think you do have a stinking attitude and I suggest you lose it, unless you just dont like being part of this discussion forum

20. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry, Swordsman. I was kidding. I thought you would have understood that. My bad. :(

Search tags for this page

boxwood elven knife legolas

fighting knives of legolas scabbards

legalass white knives

legolas white knife scabbard

legolas white knives

legolas white knives scabbards

legolas white knives with scabbard

legolas white knives with scabbards

legolas white knives with scabbards nz