Legola's backstory?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mrtoxic, Jan 7, 2004.

1. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, can anyone tell me what Legolas' backstory is? I have read that he is a Mirkwood prince but I have also read that he is an assassin, which was interesting....

Which is it? neither? both?

2. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He is the son of Thranduil, the king of the elves of Mirkwood ("wood elves"), who in turn was the one who imprisoned the dwarves in The Hobbit.

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Legolas was the Gradso of Oropher, who was the father of Thranduil, who was the father of Legolas. Legolas would have most likely been in charge of protecting the borders of his fathers realm in Mirkwood. I don't know if he had any siblings, but Legolas had probebly never been outside of Mirkwood before he went to Rivendell as his fathers representative. Being sent was probebly a great honor and privalege for Legolas. Assasin well I suppose if you shoot someone without their knowing then ya I guess he was an assasin, but that was not his description by JRRT. I am not sure how old Legolas was at the time of the last alliance bit seeing as how his fathe was not there then legolas if alive was still just a very young elf, but he had probebly not been born yet. After the ending of the third age he travelled with Gimli to see the Glittering caves and the forest of Fangorn, I beleive that gimli then went with him to the undying lands.

4. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    elvenblademaster told you pretty much everything that theres known about his background :). If you like the subject these essays are pretty good:
    1. Speaking of Legolas
    2. Prince Among Equals

Unfortunately they don't say anything about him being an assasin... :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  5. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really I just had the notion that if his father was going off on an expedition and possible battle that Legolas would of accompanied him( by this I of course mean the Lonely Mountain) All though I guess that one's up in the air because Tolkien hadn't even thought of Legolas when he wrote the Battle of Five Armies...

6. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Might depend on if he had any siblings or not. I mean, if he was the only son and the heir to Thranduil's throne, it might have been wiser for him to stay home and protect the kingdom just in case Thranduil dies in the battle.

It seems that Legolas really might have been quite little-travelled, for example, as far as I remember, he had never been in Lothlorien before he went there with the Fellowship.

7. Elf_Lover

Elf_Lover New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish that Tolkien had gone into more detail about Legolas! It bothers me that he don't know that much about him. There are so many things that we have to speculate about without ever knowing for sure.

8. Ymina

Ymina New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Simirrilion has a bit more of his backstory, however its been years since I read that book that I can't remember what it is...............(I guess its about time I go out and buy another copy and get reaquaintted dontcha think? ;) )

9. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe that PJ wanted the mirkwood elves to be kind of assassin like, when they hide in the shadows picking off not knowing orcs and spiders etc. therefor the thin short knives and light equipment and so that Legolas carries, then the "assassin" name stuck, but it's just a thought :)

10. ElvishTwin

ElvishTwin Left-handed Scribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another theory behind the assasin idea... the original idea probably came from either a movie image of the elves of Mirkwood, or of a fan fic, or somehow of both. Tolkien really doesn't say much about him, whether he had siblings or not or any of that, but I'd imagine he has an older brother. If he was the heir to the throne, it would have been more likely he would have stayed in Mirkwood, and Thranduil would have sent someone else in his place. One thing that I do speculate on being accurate, however, was that he might have been one of those who imprisoned the Dwarves in The Hobbit, and therefore, there would be tension between him and Gimli, but I'm getting off the subject. He is, I know for sure, the son of King Thranduil of the Northern Realm of Mirkwood...