Legolas- a small question

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by HaldirofLorien, Jan 28, 2004.

1. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ok just a small question about Legolas - Ive read somewhere that Legolas actually fought in thw Battle Of Five Armies ut in some Making of Movie Books it says that Helms deep was the first time he ever wore armour. WHICH IS TRUE???

2. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In the hobbit it doesnt specifically say if he fights or not but as the kings son he probably was there and he possibly wore armor at the battle of five armies

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Actually the only time he ever wore armour in the books is helms deep, but it was a helmet not pauldrons. And he is never mentioned in the hobbit which is very strange seeing as he was the kings son. It might sound wierd but I don't think tolkien had "thought up, or invented" Legolas' character yet when he wrote the Hobbit.

4. LBenyamini

LBenyamini New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, characteristiclly the green elves were never heavily armored. They decend mostly from the Teleri who were ocean going elves. In the Silmarillion it is said that when Feanor attacked the Teleri at Alqulaonde the Teleri were massacared partially due to a lack of arms(as they only used the bow) and partially due to their numbers. Also, partially because they never thought they'd be attacked by their kinsmen.

5. matrix9217

matrix9217 King of the Mark

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I dont think that Tolkien really know exactly what he was doing when he wrote the hobbit, but it all turned out okay in the long run. As to Legolas, I assume that he fought at the Battle of Five armies, but dont think that anyone is really sure

6. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I did'nt say he did'nt know what he was he was doing, he wrote the hobbit in an entirely different style than LOTR. I just think Tolkien did'nt think about Legolas for the Hobbit, I don't think he was a created charachter at the time. Now back on topic. Legolas did not fight at the battle of five armies because in tolkiens mind he did not exist, time wise he would have existed but Tolkien had not created him yet. Although I am sure he will be in the movie. Which will be cool.

7. matrix9217

matrix9217 King of the Mark

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, maybe what he was talking about wasnt the best choice of words. Really, I dont think he knew what he was getting into, and to what scale it would go. Also, some things in the Hobbit dont add up to LOTR.

8. Demandred

Demandred Forsaken

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah but thats cause he wrote the hobbit as a stand alone book and then dreamed up the wonderfull world that is Middle Earth (and beyond) and decided to write an epic saga. most of it ties in, but theres always going to be some loose ends.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I don't really think Hobbit is seperate from any other book about Arda. Tolkien started to think about ME in the trenches of WW1. There are actually pretty much pre-Hobbit texts in UT, and possibly in the Sil. Furthermore, there are tons of references to The Hobbit in LoTR. Granted, there are some elements that could be considered "strange" to Tolkien's Arda, like Beor. But then again, Bombadil is much the same in LoTR.