leather working question

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by urbanharlequin, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a great shot of the bracer replicas by Kropserkel. Their stuff is dead-on accurate, so you can trust that the tree is pretty much exact as in the movie. Just enlarge it and trace it for your pattern.

Attached Files:

2. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just about all the designs you see on the stuff I've posted involved some beveling. The best examples are the tankards and the Celtic knott work belt and the oak leaf belts. The rose belt involves belveling as well. Actually the process was to trace the design onto the leather, swivel knife cut it then bevel around the entire design. The rose petals are "shaped" using a pear shader which hollows them out. The leaf stems are beveled then swivel knife cuts for the margins to create the illusion of thorny leafs. The inner petals of the roses are also beveled to create a seperation of each petal.

3. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the Kropserkel pics and some movie shots to make the design on my bracers. No progress so far, just started on the design. Christophe, how would you suggest that I transfer my design from paper to the leather so I can tool it on?

4. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    There are two ways to transfer your pattern. The first, and easiest, is to get some tracing film sold at leather craft suppliers. It has a plastic feel to it and will not get soggy on the damp leather. The second method is to put a layer of plastic wrap, like you use in the kitchen, on the leather, then lay your pattern over it. I have to do this some times when the pattern is too complex to transfer to tracing film. Be careful not to press to hard. The leather underneath is soft and pressing too hard either rips the paper of the pattern or winds up cutting it out on the first pass.

If your pattern is even moderately complex I would also recommend taping the pattern to the leather while tracing. HOWEVER don't let the sticky part of the tape touch the leather top surface. If you do, when removed it roughs up the leather causing it to take dyes and stains differently than the rest and you will always be able to see where the tape stuck to the leather. :( Instead wrap the tape around to the backside of the leather.

Search tags for this page
pear shading leather tips
pear shading leather vids

what makes leather tooling look flat and not defined tool marks after staining