Latest Adventure

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Alchemist, May 5, 2009.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
  2. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
  3. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I like the nature shots best, but that last building shot looks cool. Oh and nice shot of the lightning.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Alchy I think I have two things for you -
    1 - newest link posted: http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=18563
    2 - http://www.adorama.com/BG337.html ;)
    ok go on ebay and search for hotshoe spirit level there are loads out there a lot cheaper that work just as well - and it seems you need them ;)

Seriously though I am not trying to take away your style, but I feel that your losing potential by twisting everything - try looking at some archetecture images on flickr or devient art and get some composition ideas - oh and a tripod would help ( even a cheapy one)

As for the lightning the typical method is to use bulb shooting mode, where the shutter remains open until you press the shutter button for a second time (once open - twice shut). On the bridge cameras I don't think they have this option so get a bit of black cardboard and set your camera to take a shot at a slow shutter speed (a few seconds). Put the card infront of the lens then when the lighting flashes remove it - then put it back once its over and that should get the sight. If its a very active storm you might find it easier to leave the card off when you first press the button and instead use the card to cover the lens only after.

The idea here is that its dark - really dark at night - so you can use a longer exposure and it won't blow out the image- then you have a better chance of catching the lightning. Give it a try and see how things go - its a similar method to catching fireworks - both cases a tripod is essentail.

5. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I'll give some a look at, but I do like twisting and angles. I like looking at things from different perspectives. Though I will give it a try. I do have a tripod, I just rarely use it.
    I have a fireworks setting on my camera..that might work....if not I'll try the cardboard thing.

Thanks. ^_^

Oh, that attachment thing...is that supposed to help with getting shots more level? I might look into it, though my angles are on purpose. If I do get one, it will be a bit, money is kinda low and well..I don't use ebay...>.>

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    well what I mean is look around - some mags have given them away in the past as well - they don't need to be hightech to work.
    I can understand the idea of putting an angle on things, but I somehow feel that there is some "method" to do this "correctly". Although at its heart art is about self expression without rules, its a lot easier to express yourself if you understand the rules and can then move on to break them in the right places.

7. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Alex - your nature ones are particularly good. I love the bluebonnets! :)

8. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    ^_^ Thanks!