Later Books

Discussion in 'Dragonlance' started by CB Swords, Nov 6, 2004.

1. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Honestly I didn't like how Dragons of a Summer Flame ended (the gods are gone). Though I think the whole "Takhisis stole the world" thing was a clever way to fix the mistake that I'm sure they realized they made.

I also dislike the dragon overlords in the latest books. I don't know if they were an invention of Jean Rabe (worst author ever) that Weis and Hickman just had to deal with, or if they were involved with the decision. I kind of get the impression that Weis and Hickman wanted the series to be done after Summer Flame so they kinda pulled the same ending they gave in the Death Gate Cycle (also lame). Then Jean Rabe is saddled with writing the first book (so very bad) after that and it sucks and she messes the world up.

The War of the Souls trilogy was good, but I didn't like the world as much as I liked the world portrayed in the original books.

2. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I agree that the War of the Souls trilogy was the weakest books Weiss and Hickman did for Dragonlance, and I also was kinda disappointed in how the world turned out. I haven't read Weiss' latest book however, and I hope that she can fix it up.

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I thought the intention was to end the series with Summer Flame. I assumed they were done until I saw The fifth age books. I was so dissapointed with those and the pathetic back door way of reviving the series that I havent been all that enthusiastic about keeping up with them.

I need to read the War of Souls books again because I spent most of the time annoyed at the overly complex plot and Goldmoon's (who I hated in the original series) return.

I am very happy with the side story books that are more recent. Especially Soulforge, Brothers in Arms and Kang's Regiment. They are all good books. Then again I 'll accept any excuse to throw Raistlin into a story.

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I didn't personally think that it was over with Summer Flame, but I did think the gods were gone. Hence Fizban stopping by Solace to wish everyone a fond farewell. I think that Weis and Hickman realized that things weren't all that interesting in a Godless world so the contradicted themselves a bit by claiming Takhisis stole the world.

I did like the War of Souls story though.

5. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'm just glad the gods are back......... in fact, it's kinda interesting that the lesser gods will play a far bigger role now......... it's gonna make it a lot more diverse.

6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Off of the War of Souls topic . . . has anyone read the Terror of Lord Soth books? They are in the Ravenloft setting. I just started Knight of the Black Rose, so far it's really good. It picks up where Soth left off in the Legends books, and plays off of it.