Late Medieval Army Composition

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Dreamscaper, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Looking for information about the composition of a late medieval army, how many spears or halbeards, swordsmen, cavalry... etc. Looking for around 1450 AD and one of the German states (I'm aware that the English used a frick-ton of bowmen), but really any info about the medieval army from about 1300 on would be appreciated.

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    I found two books that could be interesting for you. I don't know how detailed they are, but there could be something in there to answer your question.

Medieval warfare

Medieval Military Technology

For absolutely detailed numbers you'd have to find records from that time, and I guess documents like those are written either in Latin and Early New High German. :/

3. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Thanks for the links, will take a look at them and take a look into acquiring the books.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    You might also get some resources if you contact any local historical re-enactment groups in your area (or internationally); also consider contacting war museums. Both those interest groups might well be able to point you toward lesser known, but factual articles/journals and books which might contain exactly what you are after.

Also remember you won't get exact numbers for a generalist approach; you'll get case studies focused around time periods and battles/wars to draw your info from - so you might find that some lighter reading around the condition of the state that supported the army you are researching will also give you some info on how changes and country effects will tailour and limit the army possible.

5. Dreamscaper

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    great ideas! Thanks, will start searching for anything local and contact them. It would be great to join them as well (always loved the idea) but I lack time atm.

Search tags for this page

medieval army composition

medieval spanish army composition