Last weekends cutting practice (pics)

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Patrick Kelly, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Last weekend we decided to brave the summer heat and gathered in our hermetically sealed, super secret, Area 51 type test installation known as "Gregs backyard", where we conducted a bit of matocide on some unsuspecting tatami mats of both single and double roll configuration. Let me apologize in advance for my poor form. I twisted my back while in the gym the day before, so I was not at my most relaxed. I've been trying to get back into the gym on a regular basis since the first of the year and every day it reminds me that I'm no longer twenty years old.
    :eek:

The wooden post used as a base is set into the ground, with the cinder blocks added for additional reinforcement.
    I opened the mornings festivities with the Big Johnsson, made by Peter Johnsson.
    [​IMG]
    A couple of cuts:
    My first cut was a downward cut from right to left.
    [​IMG]
    ...followed by an upward cut from left to right.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think I blew a cut with this sword all morning. As I've said before, this is an absolutely magnificent weapon that I love more every time I use it.

Greg broke out the "Beast", also known as Albions St. Maurice.
    We took this still photo to specifically illustrate the large size of the St. Maurice.
    [​IMG]
    Greg is 6' 2"-3" so this sword fits him well.
    Getting her going!
    [​IMG]
    I tried the St. Maurice several times myself and we both had pretty good results this time around, now that we're getting a better feel for this massive sword.

Immediately after using the St. Maurice I had Greg switch to the Albion Reeve.
    [​IMG]
    I wanted Greg to feel the difference between such a massive sword and one like the Reeve. He was impressed by the Reeves easy handling qualities when compared to a much larger single-hander.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to give this butcher knife of a sword a workout too.
    [​IMG]

2. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And continuing...

I've never done any cutting with Milestone, my custom sword by Vince Evans.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to remedy that.
    [​IMG]
    My patented "sucking the lemon" look.
    [​IMG]
    There were no big surprises with this one. Milestone cut through the targets with ease and authority, but considering who made it that's no shocker.

The final sword used was the Albion Baron. This is a particular favorite of both Greg and myself, as it's really one of the easiest cutting swords we've used in this type of excercise. It almost feels as if the sword is doing the work and you're just along for the ride.
    Two pics of the Greger himself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall we had good success this afternoon. Greg took a few pics with his camera, including a few of my 12 year old son Sean cutting with the Reeve. On Seans very first session with a single-mat roll he executed three flawless cuts, as if he'd been doing it for years. Greg and I raised our eyebrows on the first one and our jaws were hanging open by the third and final cut. The boy's a natural!

3. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My son Sean during his first cutting experience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greg snapped this interesting one of the Big J in action. This illustrates how the blade flexes during a cut.
    [​IMG]

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Great pics Patrick. I especially like the lateral flex on the last pic. I've taken some pics of our general fighting and caught swords bending over shields or on other blades, but not in the "yaw" axis!

Where does one buy tatami mats? Are they just a floor mat, or are they a specific martial arts product?

And do you soak them in water first or just cut them dry?

Attached Files:

5. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

Here in the states there are a couple of sources for mats. I've purchased my last couples of orders from Bugei.
    http://bugei.com/subcategory_19.htm

The downside of this is that the shipping is nearly as expensive as the product. Yes, in reality they are japanese grass floor mats. They are a widely used training tool in japanese swordsmanship but in reality it's just a glorified floor mat. :)

They are rolled up as you see in the photos and then soaked in water, usually overnight. This renders a material that is similar to human muscle tissue in fibrosity and density. This is the primary reason for their use.

6. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Great pictures and descriptions too!

I know exactly what you are talking about with all of the Albion swords. Mike Sigman showed me the Baron and much much more. I actually had my search narrowed down to the Baron, the Crecy, the Templar, and the Norman. I went with the Crecy and everytime I look at it hanging on my wall, I just want to give one of those cutting mats a try. I don't know how well I would do... as I have never been taught any kind of swordplay or proper cutting techniques.

I wonder if there is a cheaper place to find those kind of mats?

7. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Depending on where you're at you may be able to find them at a local martial arts store, if you live in a more urban area. You can also use straw beach mats from any local retail store, but these aren't ase fine as these grass mats. The weave is loose and the quality isn't as good.

I spent a few days in the Albion shop before the Next Gen line was introduced. The very first sword put together was a Gadjhalt. Howy put that on the table in front of me and asked me what I thought. I told him he'd better hire more employees to keep up with demand, because these are the swords many of us have been waiting decades for.

In my opinion they're hands-down the best swords in the production field and better than at least 75% of the so-called custom swords I've handled over the years.

8. Gemizonian Leader

Gemizonian Leader New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those are pretty cool swords there Patrick. Maybe I'll ask a blacksmith to make me a replica of the Master Sword or the Mani Katti.

9. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    i am impresed whit thise cutting pictuers,never thouht anyone whold do cutting like thise whit albion swords .i am still dreaming on getting one of thise amassing swords,whits are not easy to get even thog i have money for a sword like that due to the waepon rules in my counrtry .(denmark).
    but i am wondering now, whit all your practice and nolitce whit funktionel swords are you famillier whit khukuri knifes ?
    i have sevel of them and thise knifes has some of the most impresive cuts i have ever seen.my khukuris are not simpel kopies ore turist-crab made stuff .
    mine are original khukuries.
    if you are in eny interrest imight be abel to upload some pictuers of them.:)

10. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks am.dk.

Cutting on appropriate targets like this doesn't hurt the sword a bit and is very beneficial in ones learning process. I am familiar with the Khukri and have owned several. I agree, they are very efficient cutting tools and are one of my favorite short-bladed designs. Photos are always welcome!

11. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ok

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  12. am.dk

am.dk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    dont worry about it

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006