Knight of the Laughing Tree

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by hendy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ive been wondering, if it does say anywhere who the knight of the laughing tree actually is, or who people think it is and why?

2. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    The knight of the laughing tree was a crannogman who left the bogs to go to God's Eye to study with the greenseers. He's called the Knight of the "Laughing Tree" because the sigil he used was a laughing weirwood. I'm pretty sure that he fought in a tournament at Harrenhall, after being laughed at by a few squires for his shortness.

(If I'm wrong, correct me.)

3. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I though that it happened after lyanna stark, came to the defense of howland reed when he was being picked on by some others, and that a mystery knight entered the tourny and defeated a few people.

maybe im wrong?

4. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's wrong. It's a very old story(IN ASoIaF terms).

Edit: Actually, you are right about the time it happened. Although, Lyanna wasn't there. Howland Reed wasn't mentioned, and the KotLT was only defending his honor from the three squires.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
  6. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    cheers Liadan. still leaves me wanting answers, damn I hate unfinished stories.....

7. Ciaraii

Ciaraii New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well from the descriptions in the book, and the mention of the two-legged wolves, I had thought that the Laughing Knight was Howland Reed, and the four wolf pups were Brandon, Eddard, Lyanna and Benjen. There's a bold wolf, a quiet wolf, a she-wolf and the pup so I had associated it with those four. When Jojen is telling Bran, he keeps repeating "are you sure your Father never told you of this?"

8. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    welcome and congrats on your first post..

Where is that quote for the 2 legged wolves?

9. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    The story indeed speak of two legged wolves. I would like to give you the reference, but I don´t have the time right now. I promise to find it for you later.
    I am pretty sure it is during the story.
    Something like Jojen talks about wolfes, and Bran ask if it is the two legged or four legged kind.

I have allways interpreted it like this.
    Quiet wolf = Ned
    Bold wolf = Brandon (Neds big brother, the one Aerys had strangle himself)
    She wolf = Lyanna
    Wolf Pup = Benjen (Neds little brother, who later became first ranger of the nights watch and is now missing)

The story say that the quiet wolf is too shy to ask the lady with purple eyes for a dance, and the she wolf or the bold wolf has to do it for him. (can´t remember which) I think the lady with the purple eyes is Ashara dayne, the lady that Ned is rumoured to be in love with, and who some people believe is Jons mother. Ned lived in winterfell, and Ashara Dayne lived in Dorne. Where else would they have met if not at the geat tourney at Harrenhal. It all fits together.
    This makes Howland Reed the crannogman, So far I think everything is pretty clear.

the difficult thing is the knight of the laugthing three.
    the interpretation I think George want us to make is that it is Howland Reed himself.

The other two theories I have heard is Ned and Lyanna.
    If is were Ned it would explain why Howland bacame such a devoted bannerman to Ned.

We have heard that Lyanna had the "wolfblood" and would act impulsively. We hear from Harwin, when Arya tried to escape from the BwB, that Lyanna was a good rider and when Ned found Needls in Aryas trunk, we hear that Lyanna liked to wear a weapon, which would mean she had probably practiced. This also gives a new dimesion to the Lyanna+Rheagar story. In Jojens story the dragonking(aerys), declares the knight of the laughing his enemy and send out Rheagar to hunt him/her down. Imagine if Rheagar managed to find the smiling knight, and discovered she was a beautiful women. That would make it easy for him to fall in love with her. And we already know that Lyanna liked Rheagar. When the dragonprince played his harp the she-wolf cried. I think this is great. When you read the story the first time you don´t notice these things and think Howland is the knight of the laughing tree. But later when it is reviled that Lyanna and Rheagar fell in love, you go back and when you read it again you see the deeper layers. A testament to georges brilliance. If Jon turn out to be the son of Rheagar and Lyanna, this is another place where the whole thing it lies just below the surface, without people noticing it on the first read. And even if Jon is not there son, it is clear that Rheagar at least fell in love with Lyanna, if not the other way round.

And that is what really started the war. rheagar running away with Roberts girlfrind. That is why Jojen think the story is so important, and why he keep asking if his father haven´t told them the story.

I also love the part where Bran say that the knight of the laughing three should have crowned the she-wolf queen of love and beauty.
    And Jojen replies: "She was. But that is a much sadder story"
    Jojen is refering to Rheagar Crowning Lyanna Queen of love and beauty, when he wins the tournamant.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  10. Kaelmarr

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I guess we can always count on MJ to give us the whole story :D.

11. Ciaraii

Ciaraii New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks =)
    I'm glad it posted, I haven't done this kind of thing before. I feel like a baby with only one post when everyone has so many, and the bareness of my signatures and that kind of thing.

Yes I know what you mean about the deeper layers. That's what I love about Martin, he lets us work out for ourselves, and gather our own opinions. I love how the characters aren't just "good" or "evil". They're a mixture, just like most people. It makes them much more real, I think :)

12. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Well you're up to 2 now. You're practically a teenager! :)

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, if you want the whole thing, it's in the Citadel somewhere - and I did copy the entirety of the thing into the old thread.

14. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Welcome :)
    It´s allways good to see new people.
    Don´t get owerawed from peoples post counts.
    Its all spam.
    I am the only one who mostly make serious posts;)
    I agree with you about the greyscale of the characters.
    It is one of the great things about the books. And Martin is part of a greater movement within the fantasygenre to make it all more realistic.
    I still haven´t decided whether I like Jaime or Tyrion or Dany.
    But they sure are entertaining bastards.

15. Ciaraii

Ciaraii New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome:)
    Ah so Maester Joergensen, you sound like you know what you're talking about, I must come to you, then, if I'm unsure about something :p

You still haven't decided whether you like Jaime, Tyrion or Dany?
    Well uncertainty with Jaime or Tyrion could be understood, but Dany? Why wouldn't you like her?

16. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Wow MJ, thanks for that, I always kind of wondered about it and you cleared things up great!

17. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I don´t know. Maybe Howland Reed is the knight of the laughing three, and it never occurred to george that it could be interpreted any other way.

After a while you actually start to believe the far out stuff that was only intended as entertaining theories.