Katana

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Jessehk, May 12, 2004.

1. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am really keen on getting a traditional Katana ( samurai sword ). However, i am not looking to spend $400 CAD, not even $200 CAD. i am looking for a relatively cheap Katana, though not of terrible quality. I have seen Katanas for $20, though i am not interested in a poor quality knock-off. Can anyone recommend any companies or or possibly specific sword models? I did notice the Paul Chen blind Fury sword. is this good?

2. Judeau

Judeau Synchro Ratio 87%

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FIrstly, i dont know what the exchange rate is but here in AUS the cheapest you can get is 178 dollars and they are reasonable quality... so it would probably be better off getting a 200 CAD dollar one and having a good quality one rather than getting a 100 dollar one and having the blade break

3. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I can get the Paul Chen practicle katana for $150 USD. This is a bit more than I wanted to pay. what are your opinions of this sword? Is it worth $225 CAD?

It is advertised as being functional. I would be buying in about 3 months, so there is no rush.

BTW, DT: you can afford a 12 hundred dolar katana?!
    I'm in envy :)

5. dwarf tosser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well iits 900 and no i cant, my father and mother are helping me buy it for a grad gift. I heard that paul chens are not very good quality and if your into tourneys you shouldn't use them.

-dt

P>S> O and if you want the hatori hanzo katana (being the very very very very best one) It would have to be a Howard Clark L6 katana.

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Isn't this against the rules?

7. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Paul Chen's are only carbon steel, battle ready katanas. UC only makes stainless steel. So no, to the best of my knowledge, this is not against the rules.

8. dwarf tosser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    IT'S ONLY against the rules if you post competing sites.

-dt

9. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, my mistake.

10. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Bit of an old post I understand...

...but if you're expecting to find a fully functional katana, made in the "traditional" sense for less than the Practical katana, you're out of luck. That's as low as the scale goes. UC and other companies make poorer quality "full tang" swords (handle sandwhiched and pinned) that might be sturdy, but I REALLY do not care for it in looks.

The practical katana is FAR from traditional. Fake plastic rayskin. Lower quality cotton wrap. No wood in the handle, it's pure plastic that is pinned to the tang and epoxied on.

The blade however is a different story. Although the blade edge to the mirror polished finish are poorly polished (ugly to some), the blades are VERY strudy and well tempered, featuring the clay coated differentially tempered and hardened blade like a traditional katana. The hamon (the whitish edge) is not real, but acid etched. No big deal for a $150 sword.

And whoever says the sword is of poor quality more than likely collects nihonto or has an expensive Howard Clark L6 katana.

basically, this is the end of the line if you want a sword that actually looks like a katana.

11. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Thingol

Thingol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you sayed a traditional katana...

if you dont want to pay a large amount of money, i sugest a last legend MK I katana $259, i know you sayed its too much, but it is a good cuality katana, and with time you'll see that it worths it... (it's just my opinion)

13. †Magus†

†Magus† The Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok the paul chens are great. I own a ppk2 and its a wooden handel wrapped in genuine rayskin and full tang help with 2 bamboo pins.

This site is the best for katans www.mantisswords.com

14. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I like planning, and saving money in advance, so I am just going through all my options.

what is the difference between the practical plus katana and a practical fantasy katana?

I want something thats functional, and a good display piece.

I won't be doing kata or cutting at all (aside form the occasional plant :p), so this option looks perfect.
    plus, on KOA, I can get it for an amazing price.

15. slash

slash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the difference is the longer handle on the fantasy katana.i own the LL mk1,LL mk11, and the paul chen tokugawa katana. im a big cutter. thats i have LL katanas. i cut straw tatami mats at the dojo i go to every friday.if your not going to cut much i would rather recomend a LL dut if its to much money just go with the fantasy katana

16. slash

slash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    get what is cheaper between the two swords. which is peobably the practiacal plus. they are pretty much the same sword except the practicla fantasy has a longer handle and costs more

17. elrond243

elrond243 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hey i've got a question. as i read in national geographic only a samuri can carry more than one sword so in most katana sets not traditional but cheap nock offs and functional you get more than one blade, so wouldn't we be disrespecting the japanese tradition in buying a katana ,whakasashi (i'm most likly murdering the spellings of these sorry.) and the tanto ?

18. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I doubt the Japanese ever intended foreigners to own their blades either, so I wouldn't be too worried about the disrespect thing. And the more people participate in an activity, the longer it can stay alive. There's a lot of interest and appreciation around the world for Japanese blades, as there is for every other type of blade. The more interest in blades there is, the more chance they'll survive for future generations.

19. Thingol

Thingol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in fact, they carried two swords the katana and the wakizashi. When they were indoors, the katana was left aside, wearing only the wakizashi. Tantos were more likely to be used by the rest of the people, including women.

20. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    If I'm remembering my Japanesse history class correctly, the Daisho the samurai carried (Katana and Wakazashi) was a status symbol. It was considered an insult if a foriegner, or just someone who was considered unfit to be a samurai to bear the daisho.

Search tags for this page

howard clark katana