Katana Care/Maintenance

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Rameana, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Rameana

Rameana New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've read over the posts dealing with care and maintenance but very few talk about if you have kantana's. I have just decoratives ones, but I want to display them but I'm worried about dust on the cording and saya (making them gray abit). So should I treat the cording on the saya and hilt with like a teflon so dust is easier to come off and wont hold. Then the saya is another problem because mine is a matte black (non lacquered). I like the matte over the lacquered but should I got ahead and lacquer it or just try and is if the teflon will work on it too without discoloring it?

2. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For me Ive never done a thing to my katana in the past 3 years I've had it. However, I don't take it out of the scabbard and keep it mounted for display. There is some sort of an oil inside the scabbard that seems to do a good job at whatever it does :p

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    If your katana is a stainless steel katana, they're much more impervious to rust than a weapon-grade steel. I keep my Highlander katana in its scabbard and it's fine, but I keep my fighting swords well oiled in their scabbards. I'm using them every week too so they don't just sit there rusting.

4. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They are stainless steel. My bastard sword (don't really know what to call it, but that would be my guess... if anything else its a greatsword or any other word for a huge longsword) isn't, and I don't do anything to it. I just purchased it about a month ago. What can I do to keep it from rusting?

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Do you live in a humid area, or a fairly dry area?

If it's a dry area like me, a light coat of any cheap oil like WD40 or Balistol etc will do.

If you live in a high humidity area like a coastal area perhaps, consider something higher grade like maybe gun oil? Some people like a product called Renaissance Wax, never seen it myself.

I live in Western Australia, I believe normal humidity is about 10%, my spring steel fighting swords are usually stored in their leather sheaths and hardly ever get a spot of rust. I give them a light spray and wipe down with WD40, buff off any beginning rust, and it's all good :)

6. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I'm in Canada. It can get extremely humid in the sumer, and dry in the winter. :p