Just wondering

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by doleniel, Nov 19, 2003.

1. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Am I the only one on this board that designs and sews their own costumes, as opposed to just assembling pieces that were bought here and there? I was just wondering, because it would be nice to have someone to chat with about this stuff.

2. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had to make my cloak and jerkin, the cloack was hard, its amazing how much material you use!

3. MacDhai

MacDhai New Member

Iowa... land of corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dunno, still fairly new here myself...

From what I've seen, a few of the folks are SCAdians, "typically" they would most likely make most of there stuff themselves... tho' it does save, time and effort for some to just buy what they need (those lucky enough to have the spange for it that is... *tee hee*)

Myself, my wife and I make pert near everything we have to wear (garb/costume wise that is...).

I sew my own garb, so does she, I do the leather work needed, she hand-spins her own yarn (from our wonderfull ever hairy Shetland Sheepdog), and hand weaves her own trim...

About the only thing I "don't do" myself anymore is if I need any sort of metal fabricated item. I apprenticed under a blacksmith/armourer a few years back and learned quite a bit, but these days I have far too many hobbies to get into another one, not to mention the expense of the metal working tools... LOL....

M

4. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    im not a SCAdian, im from germany, but im doing (nearly) all of my stuff myself, too.

sewing is not my thing, maybe ill try it one day, but what i really like is leather- and metal working !

Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I make my own costumes, though not talented enough to design them, I have several patterns that I use. I am a SCAdian (not a country a life style... www.SCA.org)

I was in Germany for awhile, lovely place, I am half German.

6. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hm, looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

7. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep I do, not exactly my favorite activity, but I do enjoy having the finished product (an authentic-looking costume that I have *some* control over).

There are a lot of resources for historical costumes, and I think the best fantasy costumes have a hint of history in them...

8. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I agree. And I will admit that I am a bit of a fanatic costumewise, as I would like to go into costuming as a career. Half of my Christmas presents this year had something to do with sewing.

9. Hawkbat

Hawkbat Master of Doom

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My self and my sister have been making costumes. I buy somethings and make other parts. usually I do all the pining and ironing while my sister sews....so she gets to say she "Makes it" while I have all the pins in my fingers...sigh* I've been making chainmail I kinda finished a shirt, but it is a little small so I'll have to redo it later. I also made Vambraces that I'll be redoing once I get harder leather but for now its fine.
    Lord_Hawkbat

10. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just a question, how would you make chainmail. I can rememeber what they did for the LoTR, but im wondering how you did it.

11. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well, making chainmail is not very difficult, its just a huge amount of work ;) ....

you just buy a lot of normal wire, drill it around something round with the diameter you want your rings to be, cut the rings with a pincer and bend them together, 4 in 1 or if you wish 6 in 1.

12. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think ill look into it. I've always wanted chainmail. :)

13. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a pattern to follow once I begin assembling the links? Should it just be like a regular shirt for the pattern?

14. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Looks like they have a lot there, but it also looks like they are having problems with their server at the moment. Very few of the pictures are showing up, ill check back later.

16. Hawkbat

Hawkbat Master of Doom

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah sorry I don't come here often but yeah pretty much what Sefranox said. as for a pattern I just sorta started and winged it from there. It isn't REALLY NICE but it fits its purpose. I'll have to look into a pattern from that site later though.
    Lord_Hawkbat

17. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think I might just build it along side a t-shirt, because thats pretty much all you have to do. Or maybe take an old shirt, cut it in half and build it in two halves then put them together... we'll see.

18. OaksDryad

OaksDryad New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do quite a bit of costuming, and make everything myself. I've been sewing since I was 8 years old, mostly SCA and costume stuff, but I did do quite a few prom dresses during high school. Most recently I've been working on LotR costumes, and went with a group dressed up on opening night.

Anyway, if you're interested in LotR costuming, check out the LotR_Costume group at Yahoo. Just go to groups.yahoo.com and enter "LotR_Costume" (with the underscore but without the quotes) into the search field about half way down the page. Its a really active group, completely focused on researching and making LotR costumes.

-Dryad

19. Aranel

Aranel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My friend and I made our costumes for LOTR, we bought the material and a sewing pattern, but then we competely altered the dresses to make them elvish, so alot of the design came from us. They turned out pretty good too, I'm proud since that was my first big sewing project.

20. mallomere

mallomere hedgerow wanderer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do it yourself costuming is very rewarding. Clothes are really just the 'current' costume of society anyway. I like making costume-inspired clothes for everyday use. I make alot for kids. I designed a Goldberry dress that has deep pockets for collecting stones, shells, feathers whatever treasures one may come across. river's daughter.....