Just got my Strider belt/bracers

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by mrtoxic, Feb 24, 2004.

1. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and they are really nice. thick, sturdy leather and nice craftsmanship. Thanks much, BBB...

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else planning on getting these or has them already?

PS- Swordsman-- after cutting the belt hole should I get some kind of reinforcement for it so it doesn't wear out, or will it be fine?

Also, what should I cut the belt itself with? (It's too long for me now)

THanks!

2. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you post some pics of the belt and bracers?

3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    mrtoxic,
    Jumping in here on Swordsman - You can cut your belt with a razor cutter/box cutter. You can get these in hardware stores for very little $$$$$$. The trick though is to NOT try to cut the belt in one swift move. Instead use a straight edge, metal would be best, then make one cut. Then go back over it cutting again until you cut all the way through the leather. If you try to do it in one pass usually the cut end will not be straight or square. Now to finish off that new cut edge take a spoon from the kitchen and rub the squared edge of the leather with the spoon. This will round over the square edge. Then take some shoe polish of the approximate color and daubt it on, then wipe it off. Voila! Narry a sole will know you modified your belt!

As for the hole, no reinforcement should be needed. Those belts are made out of leather sturdy enough to work without re-inforcement (Swordsman is a friend and has shown me his belts). Realize though, that over time your belt may stretch a bit, or you may attend a few too many feasts, or perhpas fight a few too lany battles which would, in it's own right, cause need of either more holes or some adjustment! And, please, PUNCH THE HOLE! Do not use an awl blade on your Swiss Army knife. This leaves a jagged hole that may cause the leather to begin to tear.

:balrog: