Just A Small Theory...

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, May 13, 2004.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I was reading some theories on how WOT will end, and how the world will somehow go back to a primitive era and start all over again. Well, i decided to add a little something of my own.

According to how the Wheel works, in the last age - Age 8 - the world will somehow go back to before the One Power was used to make the vast cities of the Age Of Legend - which we know is the 2nd Age - well, my theory involves the resealing of the Dark One, isn't it possible that when he's resealed, he'll peform another counterstroke, i mean, he's done it before. And this time, instead of tainting saidin, he could cause some major cataclysmic event ? Destroying civilization much the same as his touch on the AoL destroyed theirs ?

Ive looked around and haven't seen this theory anywhere before. What does everyone think. I mean, it seems pretty simple, but its most often the simplest answer that is the correct one.

2. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wouldn't, in age 8, it go back to the 1st age?

3. GameMaster

GameMaster I's all about the Game!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that although the ages are cyclical they don't repeat the same way. For example we won't have again a third age with the same characters such as Rand etc, and I don't think that it has to be that if the second age of the of this cycle had flying machines it would be the same for the second age of the next cycle etc, afterall some very important events or shifts in society herald the beginning of a new age and I don't think it is always the same, it's just that the wheel of the pattern is made up of seven ages and the first age of a cycle is not always the same, nor does it have the same society and problems, it could be a far more advanced society then the previous identical age of the previous cycle.

As far as the DO is concerned this time there won't be just a seal on the DO's prison, for this Last Battle to be successful and the Light to triumph, the DO would have to be put outside the pattern totally, in other words the DO's prison would have to be totally remade as it was prior to the bore drilling.
    The DO hypothetically could retaliate with a counterstroke or whatever in this age but I don't think he will have that chance this time, even if he does I think this group can counter that counterstroke.

But I'm sure that in some future age, not necessarily the next third age, but some other age or time someone or something would again try to access that Dark energy force intentionally or not.

Some also believe that this will truly be the last battle and that the DO would be prisoned permanently or even destroyed(I don't think Shaitan can be destroyed personally)>

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    HMM, I've not done much research on it, but I would like to point out the the Cataclismic event that EMT is referring to (the breaking) was not caused directly by the dark one. His taint on Saidin drove the male Aes Sedai mad and the broke the world. As far as another counterstrike goes I think it likely, even if it is not in as obvious a fashion as tainting Saidin. I don't think that the DO will be destroyed or removed totally from the world however. I think that the universe needs a balance and I think that Jordan would agree. he tends to keep things in check like that. Heck without evil how would 'The Light' be defined? Everyone would go around acting like the Whitecloaks. :eek:

5. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    don't pick on the WCs :)

6. Jillie_Bean

Jillie_Bean New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah - Galad fan, huh... :p

7. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't referring to the Breaking, i meant ANOTHER counterstroke, a different one. Something that could destroy a civilization, a massive shockwave of fire or something, i dunno....

8. GameMaster

GameMaster I's all about the Game!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, this could actually happen. I mean the destruction of a civilization. From Aiel prophecies we know that only a part of a part or something like that will survive of the Aiel after the last battle, and we also know that their people will be destroyed. I don't know if this will happen as a result of a counterstroke by the DO or just as a part of the Last Battle but it is possible that the whole Aiel people will be destroyed and only the Tuathan would survive as a once part of the Aiel.

9. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I just assumed that when it said the Aiel would be destroyed, that they would conform to wetlander ways, similar to Aviendha. Haven't seen to much of it happening though, so you could be right.

10. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The general idea of the wheel and the repetition is this (IMO):

Starting now (in the books) the Dragon and his army defeat the DO and reseal him. This starts maybe a new age presumably. I want guess at the new ages exactly but here is what I think happens. Because of the huge battles and all the Forsaken running around people become even more scared of the power and shun it even more, eventually it all but dies out but it is genetic or people just burn themselves out because they tell nobody. So we have the world as we know it, as it is on earth (essentially, but there will still be a few channelers around). Everything is forgotten or turns to myth and then the power is discovered again and how great it can be. It can heal people, it can do things we never thought possible. It helps our everyday lives so much. And so people learn to use the power and become so awesome with it. Then somebody comes along (Lanfear) and finds this "new" and "facinating" power that both men and women can use. So they tap into it unknowingly and release the DO. And the rest is basically the story as written in the books. The people change, and probably even the battles and the actions of the characters, but the general story line remains fairly constant.

Just remember that one huge theme in WOT is about truth becoming myths and stories. Storytelling is huge and over vast amounts of time it is possible that after the last Battle given a lot of time and AS being shunned and hated that people would forget all about the power - all the good and all the bad that was associated with it. So then the power just sits and waits for them to come along and use again. That was the whole idea behind Lanfear unintentionally releaseing the dark one. She just discovered this new power and wanted to learn more about it, to see what was possible with it. It just so happens that it was the dark one that nobody knew about anyway!

Edit: Rereading a previous post that mentioned the flying cars reminded me of something. The third age in this cycle isn't the exact same length of time as the previous and future third age. The ages are defined by certain things that are bound to happen based on the flow of the people and the community.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  11. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a really good point.

as we all know, the fight against the dark one has been going on for eternity ( i didn't know there were 8 ages. when do you find that out?) so what happened every other time Rands counterpart faced the Dark one. Did he lose? DId he win and lose (like Lews Therin)? WHy does the whole reincarnation thing/being spun back into the pattern seem to happen within ages? I think Mat and Birgette have both refered to things that happened to them in lifetimes during this age (although i could be wrong about this- Matts memories mightn't be of reincarnations, jsut other peoples memories, and a Birgette character may only appear once every age. maybe you should ignore this bit
    As for the Aiel, i think Radagast is right about the way they will be destroyed- not physically, by being killed as such, more by most of them leaving the Aiel customes and way of life and abandoning ji eh toh or being overcome with the despair or whatever.

12. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ....there's actually seven ages, I stuffed up....

13. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    BTW, RJ said that Mat's memories aren't of his previous lives, just bits and pieces the Finns took from people's heads in the past and put in to fill the holes in his memory.

We are supposedly in one of the Ages in the Wheel, either the First Age or the 5th, 6th or 7th.

From Rand's POVs we learn the DO sometimes wins. But the Wheel hasn't been destroyed which is what is supposed to happen if he does. My personal take on it is that the DO has 2 options at TG, to try to defeat the Dragon and rule the world, bringing an Age of Evil or to try to turn the Dragon and finally break free. That's why the order against killing Rand was in force, the DO thought he could turn him, and was revoked when he proved too dangerous and impossible to turn (not that the DO's going to stop trying).

The same goes for the Dragon, he can seal the DO away again to bring an age of good and light and battle him in another Age or he can sacrifice himself on the point of victory (or defeat?) and destroy him forever.

Neither of them has had enough of an advantage/knowledge/strength in himself to accomplish it so far.

14. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not believe that the prophicied breaking will come from the Dark One, Rand, or any of the Channelers. I believe that it will come from Mat's firearms and Rand's schools.

15. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    And the scramble for power after Rand disappears.

16. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not see that one, as the Aiel are stable, and I do not see them going for more, the Seachan will be dealt with through treaties after they attack the White Tower (I think) and Rand only rules Illian; he is not another Hawking

17. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The Seanchan are coming back to rule Hawkwing's Empire, they may be integrated but they see the whole land as rightfully theirs. Rand also rules Tear and Cairhein, although he intends to give Cairhein to Elayne.

But that's not the main point, there are several HUGE armies out there, sure they'll be decimated after TG but there are nobles who'll stand back, keep their forces in reserve and try to carve new nations from the wreckage. If Rand dies or fakes his death (as is likely) then most of the others will go their own ways, Rand has enough trouble keeping the nobles under control as it is.

18. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may be right, I did not think of any holding back at TG.

19. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yup I'd assume everyone gets behind rand in time for TG as the prophecies suggest, even if it does seem impossible. Afterward without the dragon (in all likelihood rand will die or something similar) there willl be civil unrest. And like stingy sea folk the seanchan may turn on everyone probably becuase rand would be the one who bound them to him and with him gone theyll ge conquering again, and the rest of the world will fight blah blah.

But i dont think this counts as a cataclysm, just a huge scale war, nothing close to the breaking. There were worse wars in previous history such as the trolloc wars or the hundred years war. I'd assume every breaking is caused by some extraneous variable like the DO's taint, something different. Maybe well have a huge cliche and he'll taint saidar, after all there plenty enough channeling women to go mad enough to break the world again, but like i said that may be a bit cliche.

Although theres always balance and everything, I think it might be just a letdown if the darkone didnt get axedthis time round and we just have another re sealing, it would devoid the point of a WoT book series, we've already got the basic details of the cycle of the wheel, if it all happend again and again its too predictable, somethign new happens, that why i dont think it will just be a re sealing. I think this time round rand is somehow meant to win, either he kills the DO, or maybe he seals him away forever, or maybe something crazy like the the only way to destroy the DO is to destroy the wheel because the two are inevitably linked, and so rand cant kill the dark one because of this revelation so he just has to reseal him again (its the same repetition but that kinda revelation would be cool). Or maybe the DO and the creator are one in the same, and he's just making balance so its the same scenario as the last one. Or maybe rand realises he is the creator, or that he is the dark one, NO, he's both!, actually he's just mad with saidin and has imagined all the goings on and nobody exists but him.

However, one or two of those options may be a little unlikely.

20. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Most likely he will remake the DO's prison just the same as when the Creator made it. He won't patch it again. Then the cycle continues until the next 2nd Age when the Bore gets drilled again.