Just a scene

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Black Tattoo, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    This is just a little scene from "The Seers' War Part One ~ The Weaving of the Web" that I thought I'd share :)

Brilliant rays of golden sunlight streamed through the eastern windows of the Great Hall as the royal court milled about waiting for the king’s arrival. Moving in their midst as if he were sleepwalking, Axel listened to the idle converse with little interest. The Lord Inquisitor speculated off to the side to anyone who would listen and many who weren’t about the next Royal Seer. Would he be a man from a noble House? Maybe even a royal House from some other Rheyfelwr kingdom? Or would he be baseborn? What new power might he possess that will strike fear into the enemies of Ddraig?
    Iefan looked as fresh and alert as ever, unlike himself and Josse. But then, he hadn’t spent six hours straight drinking in the local tavern the night before. He must have sensed the dwarf’s glare because after a moment he excused himself from those the lords he was speaking with and crossed the hall to join him.
    “You look awful.”
    “You do know, I hold you personally responsible for the constant stream of bile rising in the back of my throat.”
    “Is that all? Not the headache, thirst and sickness? I must be losing my touch.” Iefan grinned, casually looking about to make sure no one was near enough to hear before continuing. “Rest assured your pains haven’t been in vain. I had quite an interesting chat with the princess.”
    The silver locket pinned at the throat of the ambassador’s high collar caught the sunlight almost blindingly with his movement, making Axel squint his eyes as he glanced toward the empty throne. Sitting to the left of the throne dais, Eirwyn watched everyone else like a beauteous gargoyle, a succubus frozen in stone, having neither the patience nor the inclination to be so gracious as to speak with anyone of a rank lower than herself. Suddenly he felt very sorry Iefan. Given a choice between the two, he would have chosen the Lord Inquisitor.
    “Seems the young princess is growing more and more agitated with the estroniaid at court. No offence.”
    “None taken.”
    Iefan followed Axel’s gaze to Artur standing in front of his seat at the throne’s right hand, his arms crossed comfortably over his chest, his gaze out over the room as a whole.
    “Infighting seems to be getting worse between Uthyr and his son as well with the younger Ddraig pushing for some sort of action in defence of Arswyd against the Neidr Brenin. It makes me wonder if the king even realizes the enemies within his own kingdom.”
    “I doubt Artur would try to overthrow his father.”
    “So do I. But it’s the contention that leaves openings to others.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Please forgive the belated response, but it is wood stacking season. It's another good scene and ties in so neatly with the disgusting scene from earlier that you almost don't need anything connecting the two. One thing. "No offence" kind of takes me out of the world for a second. Still good stuff.

3. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your input, grumpycroc. I appreciate it! :) I'm glad you liked it. I may play around with the "No offence" comment and see if I can come up with a different response.

Best of luck with the wood-stacking :)

4. GrayTowerWriter

GrayTowerWriter Chocoholic Fantasy Writer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oooh, looks like the beginning of good intrigue :). Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, GrayTowerWriter :)