July 12--A Dance with Dragons

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Liadan, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    lol! No, I had no idea ;)

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    This is ****ing amazing. This and the HBO series are making me forgive George a little... but I hope it's not another 25 years before the next book comes out :>

reeeeeally excited though, and thanks for the news. i really wouldn't have found out any other way.

yaaaay/

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Kakashi, have you seen the Maester's Path rewards? Might get you a little more psyched for the show ;)

ETA:

Also, I doubt The Winds of Winter will take that long. As I understand it, the biggest reason behind the delays of AFFC and ADWD were because GRRM had originally planned a five-year-gap between SoS and AFFC to allow characters to grow up (like Bran, Arya, etc.), but soon realized that this wouldn't work for various reasons; for example, Brienne wouldn't really wander around the riverlands for five years, and neither would Dorne just sit around and do nothing for five years, even with a "cautious prince" (yes, Doran, I'm looking at you). So then he had to scrap a lot of what he wrote, and begin anew. In 2005, he was still having problems with the "northern and eastern" characters, so he ended up turning in what he had, which then turned into AFFC. From there, a lot of the problems in ADWD had to do with the timeline: he had to not only synchronize the Dance PoVs but also figure out how to extend the stories of some of the AFFC characters.

TWoW, however, will have all the PoV characters once more, so that won't really be an issue. He also reportedly already has 100MS pages written from moved chapters (Arya + Sansa, I believe) so he does have a decent head-start.

Besides, think about it this way: Would you rather have 2000 more women whining in WoT, Erikson's cast of thousands and unexplained plots, Bakker's unending nihilism and apparent gender issues (at least so I've heard, I've yet to work through his The Darkness that Comes Before, plus the guy sounds like an actual ass--I quote his ridiculously self-serving explanation: "Pretentiousness: If you are smart, the knack for making other people feel stupid. If you are stupid, the knack for making yourself feel smart." That being said, when I'm done with his books, I'll judge them for the content and not by the author), or worse yet, Tairy Goodkind's Sword of Truth? ;) At least ADWD will be worth the wait.

Wert's analysis of the situation is far more complex, in-depth, and accurate than mine was; if you actually want to read through the articles, here's part one and part two. (I stole the summary from him, though, to give credit where it's due.)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    yes. Though my memory works fine when it comes to Uni stuff like the anatomy of the brain ^^

5. Rask

Rask New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was introduced to this series back in '07, and read all four books in two months. I just couldn't put the damn things down (much to the annoyance of my girlfriend at the time, lol - and then I got her hooked). I was so happy when I found out Dances was finally coming out, I kinda gave up hope after '09. It's kind of a weird coincidence that out of boredom I started to reread the series since this past summer, and now I can pick up the fifth book with all the events fresh in my head.

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I knew there was a reason I hadn't wandered in here since ASoIaF news has been front-and-center these last several months. Just skimming though your posts on the TFF boards brings me so much joy - I'm so excited I might explode (and not in the good way). Of course, by now, I've heard all about the release date for ADWD - I'm Emily's friend on Facebook, after all. But being here, seeing the familiarity of the forum and remembering all the good times - this makes it real. This is where the excitement is at!

I'm so happy I might die.

I can't even think of anything to say about the book itself.

:gbounce::ybounce: