Journey Into the Light

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden skidded to a stop as the human poised his axe to maim Artix in a most unpleasant manner. “Same position again, only this time no mages” He shouted. “Just some runt of a dwarf and a sorry excuse for a captive.” Vaden's eyes narrowed, that plan had fallen apart long before it had begun. He ran through the situation in his mind, he was close enough that the human would only get one swing, but that would be more than enough for him to kill Artix, too high a price for Vaden's liking.

Then there was the girl who was still strung up, she wasn't going to last long, but he couldn't sit idly by and just let her die like that. Then there was Aerwindur. The Rohirrim had fought hard, but ultimately he just hadn't been able to cope with the style of fighting, now he was taking a bath, that armor of his was going to be a hell of a liability. Vaden turned his head slightly, not taking his eyes off of the human. "Horace, would you be so kind as to rescue my horseman friend from the river?" Vaden asked.

The dwarf hesitated, but ultimately complied. Vaden didn't know what was running through Horace's mind, whether he thought Vaden was just trying to save the life that wasn't pretty well lost or otherwise, it didn't matter. That made one life he'd managed to at least try to save, hopefully he could bring that up to three before this was over. As Horace went off into the river Vaden stared down the bastard human.

"You better hurry elf, I don't have all day to deal with you whelps, hell, my arm's getting tired already...." the human said with a smirk. Vaden's eyes narrowed further, how was he to do this? Trying to goad the human into a mistake was too risky, he'd take out Artix before he made a mistake Vaden could exploit. There was no negotiation with him, all this psychopath wanted was to kill them, he wasn't going to be bribed with anything they had to offer.

Vaden cursed Atalisk for not having killed this bastard when he'd had the chance. Lacking the desire to kill was one thing, but that lack of the gravel in his guts had put them in this position. Although Vaden supposed it was partly his fault too for not having been able to put this human away.

If Artix wasn't such a big man he might have a chance to move to lessen the effect of the blow, but as it stood he wasn't agile enough to get loose, the human would mess him up real bad then leave him to rot in the sun. Vaden ground his teeth as he came to the realization that as it stood there was nothing he could do to save Artix, the best he could hope to try would be buying him a few seconds and hope to the fates that something happened that could pull them out of this situation into something a tad more favorable...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Pathetic....absolutely pathetic...

The worms were in motion. The elven one had rushed across the bridge, and the human they were following was doing nothing to destroy him. He was waiting for an opportune moment, this would be boring...

Thylyrx hovered beyond their sight, amongst the dark night sky and the new moon. His dark clothing and the starless sky blended well, rendering him virtually invisible. These creatures were so useless...their constant fear of survival kept them from acting on a moments notice, allowing their victims to formulate plans and build up their courage. He could have swooped in with the pack and picked them all apart by now, the Arcanite was not among them anyhow, but Xydrynax had other plans with them.

They were being ordered by a fresh blood...it made Thylyrx's rage boil. The know-nothing had not been with them more than a couple of weeks at best, and he had already rallied the attention of the entire pack, sending them on the hunt for the Arcanite, a job that was suppose to be carried out by the fresh blood himself. He felt himself fiending...the blood of the creatures below was wafting in their direction, and he began feeling hungry...

Lifting his bony left hand, he raked his nails along his face, drawing a thick red blood from the fresh wounds. He let the blood drip onto his fingers, enjoying the feeling that was sweeping through him now...

Pain...it felt so good...sooooo good...those creatures below did not know just how lucky they had it. The one on the bridge was plucked with arrows, the girl at the end was sliced and diced, slowly bleeding alive inside, the horse that had met its end only moments before the others arrived...

He licked his fingers clean, savoring the taste of his own blood pass his throat and drip quickly down his wretched throat. The taste was purely imaginary, having no tongue to truly taste it with, but it felt so real to him...so real and...delicious

His body began to shake with pleasure, the blood's flow quelled by his own will. His smile widened...the many rows of needle-sharp teeth a brilliant shade of crimson now, the blood now sliding off and dribbling down his chin. He was tired of watching that human have all this fun...all this pleasure...someone so undeserving...

Before he could move, the fresh blood Xydrynax was upon him. Although he was a peon at best, Thylyrx couldn't help but feel slightly impressed by his power. His fellow Ilmeki had stopped him with arcana, rooting him in place in the night sky. Xydrynax spoke to him, the voice rolling like a hiss in his head:

The human will do fine without our interference. The arcanite has angered him, and he seeks total revenge upon him for it. Although his tactics seem foolish to us, he is weak, and uses these tactics to ensure his victory. I will NOT have you exposing us to them before he's had his chance. At any rate, should those runts succeed in taking him down, he too shall prove to be a tasty meal, as tasty as any of them if not more so because of his ill nature...

This thought did nothing to ease him, but it helped him to understand the fresh blood's thinking. This human, whether or not it acts like one, was strong enough to take them on. Even if he should fail...all those murders he'd committed...their delicious innocence would only prove more nourishing.

What about the human that fell from the bridge? Surely he is beyond their reach of help...please...I hunger so....

Xyndrynax's grin flashed across his face once more, his teeth reflecting the same thoughts:

Of course, feel more than welcome to take him, but do it quietly. If they spot you, take solace in hoping that they kill you...because if they don't, you will fiend for the remainder of their natural lives!

The threat had landed on deaf ears, Thylyrx was too occupied with the thought of a tasty morsel. He zipped to the river, fast as lightning, wrenching the drowning body of the fallen warrior from the icy waters with his bony hand. The creature was going to savor this one...the human would not be killing the others anytime soon, and he would need something to tide him over...

As the fine-pointed teeth parted, and the creature's mouth stretched to compensate for the size of the human's head, a feeling much different than pain swept through his arm. This wasn't the same kind of pain...this actually hurt...it hurt him! This was beyond pain!

The creature's open mouth unleashed a scream that pierced the darkness and caused the very trees around them to bend. All other sounds were drowned out in its wake, as the scream reached on into the night, echoing off the falls, its sound biting into the ears that it reached.

For the moment, the sound caused everything it hit to freeze in time. The rivers began to slow, the blood pouring from the creature's severed arm had ceased gushing, even the fighting individuals on the bridge had all stopped in their tracks, frozen with an unknown horror. Then, as if unaffected by this sound, a figure stepped into view, his voice rough and angry:

"DROP THA' MAN RIGH' NOW, OR I'LL DO THE SAME TER YER UGLY FACE!!!"

The creature dropped its victim to the ground with a violent slam, as it spun off cursing and screaming into the distance. The severed arm that had once belong to it had twitched violently, the long fingers raking at the earth beneath it. Bringing his axe down swiftly upon the limb, Horace grinned with a look of fury still etched into his bold face. That had been a grinner...things had gotten so much more interesting all of a sudden...

Taking his chance to save him, Horace lifted the man up onto his shoulder, and rushed back for the girl. He knew he could save them if he hurried...as long as Ata was still around...

3. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Thorn heard the scream. He felt the cold presence of immense power fly up and away into the moon.That does it. Damn you and your orders Vaden.

Thorn had been searching for something to do around the dull city, anything from cleaning silverware to snooping around in the library. He hated sitting on the sidelines when people he cared about were in danger. It was wrong. His heart told him so. He slipped out of the dining hall and slunk down the pipes.
    The sounds of battle reached the ears of the mage. He turned a corner, and he was back at the bridge. What he saw made him jump in shock. Artix was crumpled on the bridge, arrows sticking out of him like he was a pincushion. Standing over him, weapons poised to kill, stood the demon of a man, staring intently at Vaden, mocking him. Thorn's blood began to boil at the sight of him.Bastard.... Let's see how you like it he thought to himself.

He cast a small protection around Artix. It wasn't perfect, but it would buy the man some time. Thorn slipped behind the wall, and pulled a dark black, glittering cloth from his pouch. He let go of it, but instead of the spell component falling to the ground, it hung in the air. Thorn was engulfed by darkness, and then it cleared. Looking down, the mage couldn't see any part of him."Excellent" he muttered.

He slipped out of the tunnel, completley unseen. He slowly approached the man, and, muttering, a word, hit him squarely in the back with a jet of fire. The man shot forward with a yell, landing a few feet away from Vaden. Thorn appeared out of nowhere, white sparks coming from his fingertips, white sparks coming out of his eyes. He hit the man with a barrage of the energy, but the beast only laughed. Mad Geg, jumped up, charging at Thorn. He ran headlong into an invisible wall. He turned around but only met another barrier.

"Vaden, end it!" Thorn shouted. "I cant hold him for long!"

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden was stunned, Thorn hadn't seemed like the type to break orders, but then again Vaden didn't know the dark mage that well at all. In fact he knew the least about Thorn of anybody. Still, Vaden had hoped for a miracle of sorts, and that was exactly what he'd gotten. The human had gotten up before Vaden could pin him to the ground, but Thorn was able to keep him at bay with a wall of force.

"Vaden, end it!" Thorn shouted. "I cant hold him for long!"

Not long at all, Geg broke through the second wall Thorn had cast just as Vaden moved into striking range. The human rolled past Vaden and drew his sword and a long knife, Thorn's spell had caused him to drop his axe. Vaden stared down the human, but he spoke to the mage, "Thorn, get Artix to safety. If you can make it back feel free, but for the time being Artix needs you more than I do."

The mage slowly complied, leaving Vaden and the human alone on the bridge. Vaden's face showed no expression, but Geg's was twisted in that abhorrent smile he wore. "So you had a fancy trick after all eh elf? I thought your kind was above sneak attacks." He said this in a mocking way. Vaden didn't care much about his heritage being mocked,m he'd never been around elves enough to really take pride in his race. The main disappointment for Vaden was his inability to think of a witty come back.

Instead he had to settle for an introduction. "Human, I am Vaden Keeneyes, tell me, what are you called, so that I know what to carve on your headstone?"

The human laughed, "A bit cocky aren't we elf? You already forget last time we tangled you ended up with a knife in your belly? But I guess I'll give you the honor of knowing the name of the one who sends you to hell. I'm Mad Geg the tall, the last man you'll ever see."

Vaden smirked, the human had a sense of humor at least, this was going to be a fight, that was for damn sure. Vaden and Geg didn't waste any time, both of them dashed for each other at the same instant. Vaden misguided Geg's main weapon, pushing it aside with one sword to force it to block a follow up from his long knife. Vaden followed this up by slashing at Geg's stomach, but something was wrong, his sword didn't sink in. Armor Vaden thought as he spun to avoid a back stroke from the knife in Geg's hand.

The human's smile grew wider, that chain mail had been a damn good investment. The two circled, Vaden was faster sure, but Geg had animal strength, and that armor was going to make delivering the coup de gras nearly impossible while he still held his weapons. Vaden nodded, then he'd just have to take those weapons away. Vaden wasn't stupid enough to think he could disarm Geg bare handed, or with any fancy flourishes but there was a saying on the steppes, "A man without hands can't lift an axe."

Vaden didn't figure he could simply hack of Geg's hands either, but he could think of another way. Vaden felt a cool wind blow past his face, by Geg's clothes it was coming from behind the human, Vaden smirked, that would be helpful. The two lunged for each other again, this time the impact was enough to knock one of the swords from Vaden's hand. As Geg slid to a stop he realized it had been too easy to disarm the elf, he found out why when he caught a full shaker's worth of salt to his face, enough going into his eyes to seal them shut for a moment.

Vaden smirked, he was damn glad he'd taken the spices from the table as they'd been leaving. With a quick swipe he opened the back of Geg's hand. The cut was deep, and while it hadn't severed the tendons as Vaden would have liked, it did cause him to drop his knife. But then just as suddenly as his eyes had been shut, Geg opened them and attacked with redoubled fury.

What the hell was this guy? Salt to the eyes usually blinded for several minutes, he'd only kept his eyes shut for a second and already they were full wide again. Less of it must have reached his eyes than Vaden had figured, and he was simply able to fight through the pain to hold them open now. The two clashed and locked up, this ended very poorly for Vaden as Geg reached his neck out and took a big bite out of his shoulder.

The elf screamed in pain as he broke away, the meat had stayed on for the most part, but the teeth marks where Geg had bitten through weren't going away any time soon. Vaden and Geg circled again, both were hurt, but neither had sustained any fight ending wounds yet. Hell, with willpower like he seemed to have, Vaden wouldn't figure Geg couldn't still hold another weapon if he really wanted to. This wasn't an ideal battle, but so far things were going better than in their last fight, Vaden hoped he could end on a better note too....

5. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Aerwïndur barely managed to keep his head above the water surface.
    He thanked the spirit of Eorl that his armour had been more padded than steel, and that he had the strength to stay up for so long.
    He had never fought anything like that... thing, and he was beaten almost senseless.
    He had not run, however. His shoulder was in 'heavy pain', and he realised he was probably going to die.
    Why not?

Then a pair of arms dragged him up from the river, and laid him in the grass.
    He did not manage to rise, and he could not see his rescuer.
    He Turned his head a bit, watching the battle going on, wishing there was something he could do, but off course there was not.
    His shoulder was nearly chopped off, his sword was gone, and his horse was dead. He was worth nothing without it. (Note: +25% skills while fighting horseback, -25% on the ground.:p)

He leaned his head a little to the other side, for not to having to see his companions die, and realised his sword was laying in the grass right next to him.
    With determination he grabbed it with his healthy arm, and laid it on his chest. Then he tried to crawl down to the river, laying still on his back.
    He was nothing anymore, and was going to have a proper funeral in the river... (Like Boromir, but without the boat lol:p)
    Then he was grabbed by strong arms again, and pulled further up on the shore.
    He looked up, right into the face of Horace, their dwarven friend.

"I'm not gonna let you crawl back into the river as an idiot after having pulled you up, and even retrieved your sword for you! You stay here and be a good boy, and I will see what I can do for you!"

Aerwïndur sighed and groaned from the pain, and was certain he was going to die from the wounds.
    Now he was at least worth nothing, he couldn't even die properly!
    With his last efforts he whispered to the dwarf:

"Tell the others... That.. That I am sorry..."

With that, and a gurgling breath, his vision got black, and he fainted.

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Geg kept his sword pointed at the elf in his right hand and flexed the left one purposefully, never taking his eyes from his foe.

He could feel warm blood course down the back of his hand and drip from his wrist but all he did was smile. Then purposefully the hand went to his leg and held the arrow where shaft met head. It had just scored his mail, and skidded into the meat below, it wasn’t deep but the whole head was in.

He wrenched it out in one pull, for a moment his already blurred vision failed.

“There is no pain elf, but that which I wield” There was a splash as the discarded arrow hit the water.

Geg ripped another knife from its sheath at his waist. Luckily the blood hadn’t gone into his palm and loosened his grip.

Then continued circling, Geg could see the elf waiting for some opening

“Tell me, where’s your little elven wench? Not dead already I hope” he licked his lips and tasted the elf’s blood on then. Before this was over he hoped to taste more.

“Out of your reach”

Geg laughed “For now.”

Vaden lunged and Geg parried, the elf too quick to be fooled wheeled round for another cut at his neck. Ducking under it Geg barrelled forward once more knocking the elf back.

Unlike the rider this one curled mid-flight and rolled back to regain his feet. Quick and nimble made up for Geg’s brute strength, this would take a while.

“Tell me, the girl must have been very grateful after you took her home. Is she a squealer or a moaner? Personally there’s nothing better than when they scream.” Geg watched in amusement at the furrows on his foes brow. Clearly this was the shining armour type, all honour and chivalry when it came to women, it was almost laughable.

Geg moved first this time, swinging his sword down and right, and stabbing with his knife to where the elf ducked. They wrists clashed as the elf tried to stab with the same opening. Geg barely managed to knock the strike wide, but it had brought them close, and that was where Geg ruled.

He let go of the knife and with the gap between them grabbed the elf’s collar. Before he could whip his sword back Geg pulled them together and smashed his forehead into the elf’s face.

One strike, two, he saw red gushing from the elf’s nose All the while Geg laughed as the force resounded through his own skull.

Pain shot through his leg, and he threw the elf forward with the strength he had.

Looking down he saw where the fool had managed to stab him in the leg.. Blood flowed down his thigh inside his breeches.

He laughed. “Hah! Impressive that you managed to hit anything while I cracked your skull open, maybe you’re not just some speedy dancer after all.”

Geg gripped his hilt with both hands and braced his legs, the one wounded twice over twitching and sluggish.

“You didn’t have the mettle to kill me last time, go ahead and run again if you can, tell your mage friend I’m coming to eat him, and tell your girl she’ll be mine soon.”

He laughed looking over the bloody elf as he got to his feet.

“Tell her before I’m done she’ll be bleeding from every hole the gods and me have given her.”

Vaden got to his feet and braced himself again, this was no coward, and Geg knew full well mocking his honour and threatening his woman would only sow more anger. And angry men were more fun.

“She’ll scream and cry your name.” The elf started walking. “Whimpering for help while your corpse rots!”

Swords clashed again, and again, sliding apart and striking together. A stab missed and raked against his mailed shoulder, Geg brought his blade up to keep it from his neck. Even angry and bleeding, surely disorientated from the head butts, the elf kept hacking in anger and determination, still fast like a snake.

Swords flashed, and struck, more cuts were hewn. Geg tried to stay on the spot to keep his wounded leg from failing, but he had to move to push any advantage.

One wheeling hack poised to take of the elf’s head was ducked, a stab parried, a slash dodged, he was too fast to take down without cornering and on this bridge it wasn’t likely. Geg didn’t know how long he had but more of is friends might join them soon, best to finish this.

The next stab that came Geg parried, but only just enough to save his life, he let the blade plunge and sheathed the sword in his own flesh.

For all the strength of mail, when the tip of the blade found the place between links, enough force could part it like cloth. Geg felt the cold steel in his lower right abdomen and watched the elf smile in delight.

Even before he felt the steel Geg had started moving, knowing Vaden wouldn’t have given up the shot if he saw Geg drop his sword.

Both of his hands grabbed Vaden’s arm around the forearm and bicep, both iron grips. Geg yanked the elf forward by his arm, the sword went in further, but in his grip Vaden couldn’t pull it out.

“There is no pain, elf.” Geg smiled. He brought his knee up to collide with the fool’s elbow, bending it backwards. With his right hand on the forearm he pushed the joint further back against itself, the elf screamed and kicked at him. “But that which I wield”

Geg now pushed Vaden back against the rails of the bridge, their bodies close to keep the elf from taking his sword out.

His hands wrapped around Vaden’s face, his thumbs going to his eye sockets. Geg laughed. “Keeneyes!” he said it as if it were a joke, pushing his thumbs in.

The elf kicked, and screamed, his unbroken arm grabbed the sword and pushed it in further, the red tip protruding from Geg’s back, Geg grunted but nothing would stop his punishment. Vaden wrenched, trying to pull the blade edgeways up through Geg’s body, he grunted again at the force, it weakened him for a moment, and in his opening the elf did the only thing he could to escape. The uses his weight and pulled them both into the fast flowing water.

7. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The girl's screams were getting harder to track down. Horace moved to the place where she was bound, her wounds beginning to take their ultimate toll on her body. She was losing time, if she was not healed soon these wounds would definitely take her. The elf and human were fighting still on the bridge, and the human had just been stabbed right through. He's still standing...this one would not be easy to drop, Horace thought. Removing a knife from within his harness, the dwarf cut the lady's binds and caught her just in time to stop her falling to the ground. Shouldering her with great haste, Horace dashed towards the entrance, only to turn back at the sound of a loud splash from the river.

Looking back at the bridge, he noticed that the two that had been fighting there were now gone. They had fallen into the river! He hesitated, contemplating the idea of going back, but remembered that he had the lives of two other people in his hands, and their chance of survival grew dimmer the longer they waited for treatment. He rushed into the entrance, leaving the others to their own fates...

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden wrenched the blade in Geg's body, his grip weakened, not much, but it was something. There wasn't much he could do, he only had one option, Vaden forced himself back, bringing Geg with him into the rushing river. Beneath the surface of the water the hard current his senses were useless, but it did the same to Geg. The two struggled between seemingly fruitless attempts to fight the pull of the river.

Vaden had fought a number of ways, but for the life of him he couldn't think of a time he'd had to fight someone underwater, at least not like this. The two of them grappled, keeping a constant hold of each other's clothing, Vaden wrenched and twisted the sword more in Geg for a while, but the human was constantly making him break from that strategy, throttling him or pushing against his eyes.

During the struggle any amount of finesse or skill either of them may have had was out the window, they were both quickly running out of oxygen, if they didn't do something soon they'd both be dead. That may be the only way.... Vaden thought grimly, his only coherent thought during all of this. Eventually the two of them broke from each other entirely, the drive to survive overriding their determination to fight. After all, there wasn't much point in dying here without making sure the other followed.

Vaden twisted and writhed against the current, occasionally managing to surface long enough to take in a quick breath, but he had to hurry if he planned to get out. With all of his might he held himself with his side against the flow, then forced himself to swim harder than he'd ever swam before. In his desperate state the broken arm didn't seem to be hindering him, at least, not that he could notice.

Finally his hand clasped something solid. He locked on with his good hand and pulled himself against it. First thing was first, he braced himself against the branch he clutched and raised his head above the water as much as he could. He took in a deep breath, he got as much water as he did anything else, but there was enough air to keep him going, or so he hoped. He pulled himself against the current, he looped his legs around the branch and slowly, painfully pulled himself against the pull of the water.

After several minutes of struggle Vaden was able to pull himself onto the shore, but that was all the further his body could take him. His good arm gave out, his body hit the dirt hard, he couldn't feel his arms or leg, the pain in his wounds dulled, his vision began to blur. As the world went dark he didn't think about finding Geg, he didn't think about trying to call for help, his thoughts were chaotic and disjointed, save for one core message, Silluin..... please..... forgive..... me.....

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The two wrestled through air then water, foam and mud blocking vision, red filling the water from the wound in his abdomen.

Each time Geg came close to killing the fool he ran out of air or the slippery fish tore from his hold, it was hard to tell how long had passed while they fought through the waves, struggling for their lives against both water and foe.

Geg managed to grasp the elf by his ripped clothing, dragging them together beneath the current, watching Vaden’s eyes as he drew lips back against his teeth. Bubbles broke from his maw as he opened it to finish the fool, already tasting the blood as it coursed from his jugular.

But just as he reached in to bite down they struck another rock in the rapids and in one sudden instant Geg was alone, Vaden lost to the darkness.

With no way to follow the elf Geg made a rapid break for the surface, only just making it in time for a life saving breath, his injured leg and wounded belly making each swim a pain, and amongst the strong current and rocks in the river it was a battle like none Geg had known.

He was the fury, he was the wording force, but against nature he was only the weak, water cared not for his anger or his hate, it was nothing, and that made it a dangerous foe.

Geg battled on, trying to remain above the water, but each time failing, pain wracking his body after the long fight, tire and weakness taking their toll.

He took one last breath and slipped under, hands splashing above the surface and then going under too. It was dark, and cold. So very cold.

Fire, as always ensnared him, bound him in this place before this thing. Its ambiguity had become familiar like his own face, its contempt an old friend.

“Lets get this done with, I have mages to kill and women to defile.”

It stood there, not speaking, standing in the darkness, the roaring flames only highlighting its edges, never illuminating its face or its intentions.

The silence stretched on for what seemed forever. Geg could tell the thing did not blink or even breathe.

“Come on whoreson! I’ll rip you from this place and back to the world where I rule, where you’ll die and wither as I piss in your open wounds!”

Silence.

“TALK YOU ****ING COWARD!”

It said not a word, but one hand, veiled in shadow plucked and hourglass from the air, and turned it over, placing it before Geg.

The sand was running down fast, it would be empty soon.

Life was a blur, greyness resolved into brown, brown dividing then into green blotches over brow, greyness above them.

In what seemed like an hour Geg made out the trees he looked up into, the late afternoon sky above him, overcast and bloated with rain.

He was alive.

Curled on his side on the riverbank, soaked through Geg felt almost nothing, he tried to move and pain shot through him once more, reminding him of his mortality.

The sword was still sheathed in his side, it was propping him up preventing him from lying on his back.

With heavy hands, he put his numb fingers round the hilt and wrenched it out, stabbing it into the ground. Both thick clots and fresh blood fell from the wound into the shallow pool of water beneath him, Geg screamed.

It took longer for his body to regain enough feeling to push himself upright, first leaving against the sword and the slowly forcing himself up to a shambling walk. All the while coughing at the last bits of water in his lungs. He didn’t know where he was, or how long had passed, or even if the elf was alive. All he knew was that he was still kicking and that meant his vengeance wasn’t complete. He stumbled upstream, trying to make his way back to the bridge.

An hour passed while he slowly shambled forward along the bank, the only sign of life was the warm blood he felt dripping down his belly, his legs were weak from walking and he could barely focus, but soon enough he caught sight of something washed up on the shore ahead of him.

He stepped forward, and finally he made it out, and amongst his pain and weakness, he grinned.

Geg made his way up to the body, one arm around a piece of driftwood. With one foot he turned it over and looked into the unseeing eyes of the elf. Geg laughed, hacking more water from his lungs after. He put one boot into the arm he had snapped and still he didn’t move.

Geg dropped himself beside the corpse with a grunt, still smirking.

“Shame the water got you” He coughed.

He began tearing strips from the elf’s clothing to wrap around his wounds and makeshift bandages and tourniquets. He looked at the wound the elf had scored to the back of his hand, it wasn’t bleeding, nor was it clotted. He could barely move his fingers.

“Grrn” Geg grunted. “I shouldn’t be far behind though, but not before I stick that sweet little bitch of yours.” Another laughing grunt later, and Geg wrestled the cloak from the elf’s lifeless corpse, wrapping it round his shoulders. With Vaden’s sword in his right hand he stumbled forwards limping, eager to finish his dirty business and leaving the elf behind him to the wolves.

10. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora rested by the fire. Somewhere before her in the distance was a sanctuary.
    Behind her were her followers.
    She had little time to rest. She had to get somewhere safe, soon.
    Or else they would find her, and do what they could not do last time.
    Tears welled up inside her at the memories.

The pole of blood on the ground, still fresh and growing, blood from her fathers ripped scull. The sounds from somewhere downstairs, where her mother was being...
    Lora felt the first, clear tear tickle her cheek.
    The pain from the cut. The warmth of her own blood streaming slowly down her side.

Why me? Why us?

The man in the black cloak, fingering with his sash...

She felt a steady stream of salty tears down her cheek, continuing down her throat, and eventually ending in a wet spot at her shirt, making the dark green even blacker.
    She sat in silence, feeling her own tears streaming, like her own life running out in every single drop.
    Counting the time it would take them to reach her, and wound her even deeper...

His pants were going off, his fingers shaking in expectation.
    Soon all that stood between him and her sex was a gray peace of clothing, seeming just all too thin a shelter...

Why me? Why us?

He started fingering with her skirts.
    Ripped them in two as if they where a pair of curtains, revealing the sun, or in this case her gray, thin underpants...

Why me? Why us?

His hands moving shakily towards some sacred place between her legs, his face, a portrait of expectations...
    The world seemed to move so slowly. Every second lasted a lifetime.
    Every lifetime brought more lust and desire to his face.
    His white teeth grinning at her, promising a faith similar to her mother’s...

She was sobbing softly.
    A mild wind touched her gently, playing lightly with her blond hair.
    The wolves howled lonely at the moon.
    For them a piece of light far above the treetops, a wonderful place, a better place, and a life after death.
    There would be no wonderful life after death for Lora.
    She was way too damaged to ever find peace.
    She almost wished her second father had never interrupted.
    She almost wished she had been... And left to die, as her mother, by the hands of such filthy, perverted scum.
    She almost wished she had never gotten the chance to feel to wound grow deeper every day, as opposed to the wound on her side, slowly healing.
    For her other wound there was no healing.
    She would always be wounded, to wound to live, yet not enough wounded to live.
    She was doomed to a half-life, a life in misery, at the gray edges of death, and an unmarked grave, but still a life.
    Doomed every day to endure the memories of that night, doomed to always carry the past in the back of her head.
    Not even killing could make her forget.
    Nothing ever could.

She fell asleep in a bed of tears and misery.
    The fire slowly died, as she would, too, if they got her.
    And the cloaked figures drew closer.
    Ever closer...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dravis sat in his human form atop one of the many roofs of the city, staring up at the night sky. The night was perfectly clear, and so he could see every star where it sat. However, he only truly paid attention to one. It had been behaving strangely for the last few days, and now it's light finally faded. He let out a deep sigh, few would notice that that one star was now extinguished, it wasn't a part of any constellation, but to Dravis, and a few others that knew that star's meaning, it was a solemn loss.

"Well my friend, it seems your time has finally run out. A shame that so many loose ends still remain untied, I only hope that you were able to find peace, in your final moments," he stood and climbed off the roof into an alleyway below. He'd been in this city once or twice before, but his current trip wasn't one of questing, he was here for study. He'd received the rare privilege of studying some of the volumes in the personal collection of the one called Odynitr.

Dravis knew little of this man's powers, but he was reputed to be a very potent user of Arcana, a subject that Dravis knew little about, save that it was a very obscure, very powerful breed of magic. Since arriving in this city he'd been having strange dreams, and the more he thought about them, the more they seemed connected to the star which had just burned out. He wondered just what the meaning of all of it was, although even he had to admit, it seemed there was something very powerful drawing him toward the sanctuary of Odynitr.

Normally in a city like this he would wander in his true form, but all things considered, he chose to remain in his human guise, if only to be alone with his thoughts about the fallen star. There had been much adversity that that one had overcome, but through it all he'd always come out on top. As he reached the door of the sanctuary Dravis only wondered what had finally gotten him, and how well he'd been able to deal with his demons.

12. lewy

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Lora slept in her old bed.
    It was getting a bit too small, and she had to curl her legs up a bit.
    She loved the way her toes would be just outside the shelter of the thin, red carpet.
    It was more like a blanket, really.
    Perhaps it wasn’t that luxurious, but it was all they could afford.
    It was a hard life, everyone were required to do their shear of the work.
    A hard life, but still a life...
    A cold wind blew through the house.
    It came from everywhere, the house was sloppy built, and could barely be called a house.
    Perhaps not a very good house, but still a home...
    The wolves howled at the moon. Lora wondered why. She had not yet figured it out.
    But she would. And when she did, she would wish she had never wondered.
    The horse was whinnying nervously.
    It was bony and tired, having worked harder than the rest of the family, getting even less food.
    Perhaps it was not the best horse, but still a horse, a pet and an invulnerable worker.
    It was probably scared of the wolves.
    Lora remembered she had also been that, once.
    She sent it a pleasant thought to calm it, knowing it wouldn’t help, but doing it still, because she loved it.
    Then footsteps could be heard outside.
    Soft, like sneaky paws in the darkness, where all wolves where gray.
    But not these... These were black. Black like death. Black like the never-ending night.
    The colour of the assassin...

Lora turned violently in sleep.

There was a loud noise from the other end of the house.
    She heard her parents wake up, screaming.
    She held her breath, for a moment paralyzed with fear.
    Then she rose quickly, and ran out the door, hanging askew on creaky hinges.
    Her father ran towards her, and met her right outside her door.
    He screamed something, something about her having to get away.
    She could not hear him, however. All sounds and movements became blurry, fainted.
    The only thing she could see clearly was the knife, spinning through the air.
    The blood... Her father...

Lora slid down from the trunk she was leaning on.
    Lying on the ground she turned around and around and a sweat broke out on her forehead.

Lora got paralyzed. She could only watch the dark, cloaked shape walking calmly towards her.
    She did not wake until she felt the cold steel of the blade cutting through her clothes, and her skin...
    She pulled back just in time.
    If she had reacted a moment later the dagger would have sunk to deep.
    Perhaps that had been for the best.
    Having died then, not having to see the cold face painted with lust, feel the shaking hand barely strike her underpants...
    She had been granted a chance to live.
    She had a purpose. But what?

Lora woke abruptly.
    She sat up, breathing heavily, her forehead wet with sweat.
    She couldn’t stay here. She had to move. Had to reach safety. They were coming...

13. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The silence that seemed to linger on the air made Ata even sadder. He rose from his knee, keeping his eyes locked on the statue, but not quite upon the girl. He laughed silently, wiping a tear from his eye as he spoke to her, still staring at the statue:

"The Emperor himself commissioned this monument for her, can you believe it? There's not a person alive that's lived long enough to recall his last appearance in public, and he chose that day to show..."

Turning around to face the elf girl, Ata had expected a look of shock or horror at the sight of things, but he certainly did not expect what he did see...

Silluin moved closer, examining the scene intently, scanning it all with her eyes. Stopping just short of the statue, she raised a hand out, and placed it within the hand of the statue girl. As if by magic, the dead girl's fingers curled around her hand, lightly gripping it, as if to acknowledge Silluin's existence. Shortly after, the hand went limp once again, dangling from the statue as it had before, as if nothing had happened...

She turned back to the arcanite, who simply looked at her, eyes full to the brim with a story that cried out from the center of his heart. She spoke to him, in a tone that sounded interested, and concerned:

"This girl, Iris, she was a friend of yours?"

Ata let a casual smile take to his face, as he replied to her softly.

"I guess you could say friend, more like a friendly rival than anything...it's been eight years since she died, and I still remember all that happened that day."

Wiping a tear from his face, he flicked it to the floor, where a padded chair arose from the ground. He ushered Silluin towards it, where she took her seat and continued to listen as he continued to explain.

"I don't know where to start, really...I guess I could start by telling you that she was great, but I feel I wouldn't be doing her justice. She was so much of everything really...she was kind, she was caring, she never let me win when it came to our fights. I remember days when she would come to the sanctuary and wake me up just before sunrise so we could practice our techniques..."

Ata's voice trailed off, his thoughts flashing back to those days where life was just so simple...

"She was one of the first female Arcanites in over a millennium. Her master was one of the last of his kind, a shrewed man named Mortis Kandraf, who took to the arcanite teachings in the opposite direction of Odynitr's...He favored the use of arcana as a weapon, and believed that in using arcana offensively only, can you truly obtain the power it possesses. He was a foolish man, and I believe Iris saw it in him the minute she accepted her position as his apprentice. I remember she would come to visit Master Odynitr constantly, always in tears and always battered and beaten. She endured his trainings, however, and after years and years of patience, she had finally come to the end of her rope. Her last task before she could leave him was the task that all Arcanites dread to face...the Ilmeki Ritual of Odds. She was given an opponent to face, and was told it was a grinner. She would have to use her training to decide whether or not the person before them was actually a grinner, or just a normal human being; at least, thats what my test was..."

"Apparently, Master Kandraf's methods differed with my masters, and she was not prepared. Instead of the test, she was placed in a room with a child they believed to be a grinner. Her master told her that in order to pass and be set free, she would have to take him down. There was no deciding of whether or not it truly was one, it was either kill the child, or fail. Obvious enough, she failed, but that was not the worst of what had happened..."

"Seeing his methods in their truest light, she turned on Kandraf, and fought him. Needless to say, he was older than she, and was more experienced in the use of arcana, however...he was not good enough for her. She trapped him in a body-bind cage, pinning him to the floor with arcanite bars, where she then proceeded to flee. There was a terrible riot in the town, the grinners had attacked and this time in groups...."

His eyes began to water again, as he mustered up every ounce of strength he had left to finish his tale:

"It was e-e-eight years ago...a-and I had not even begun my training as an Arcanite...I was following Master Odynitr closely as he scouted the streets for the grinners, keeping an eye open for people in trouble. I remember...we came to a crowded street..."

"I could hear crying, I could hear screaming...I pushed my way through before my master could follow, there were so many people that night...and then I made it through, to where a woman had been mauled by one of the grinners, who had-

Ata bit his lip, holding back his tears until he could finish

-long, r-r-raking claw marks...all over her throat. I couldn't see her face, the blood had masked her perfectly and the crowd of people were too huddled together, so I made my way to the front...."

He couldn't continue...it had been eight long years...eight long, terrible, guilt-ridden years...and even now, after all he had been through, he couldn't bring himself to finish.

The silence that was surrounding them now seemed eerily calm, like the way the earth does before a horrible storm. The silence did not last long before a sound echoed through the halls, biting into their ears and ringing like a loud bell. The sound had disappeared as quickly as it had come, and it didn't take long for Ata to recognize it: someone injured a grinner.

Standing quickly, he grabbed hold of Silluin's hand and pulled her along, speaking quickly in a rushed tone:

"Something is going on outside, and I fear the grinners are involved. If that's true, then that sound means that someone is fighting them, and we haven't a moment to lose."

They plowed through the hallway out from the graveyard and up several flights of stairs before Silluin began to drag along. She was still weary...damn him for forgetting that! Lifting her onto his back, he ran to the hospital wing, where he saw Horace raging with fury.

"THOSE BASTARD CREATURES, AND THAT !@#$IN' TRAPMASTER, I AIN'T DONE WIT' 'EM YET!"

The dwarf faced Ata as he entered the room, and immediately rushed him.

"Ata, those people over thar need healin', an' fast. I ain't one ter make it me business, but yer should start wit' the lady...she's in rather bad shape..."

He turned in time to shout his question at the dwarf before Horace had even reached the door again:

"What the hell is going on!? Where are the others??"

The dwarf turned back quickly, and replied before returning to his task at hand.

"I ain't in the persition ter tell yer anythin' yet, but I think yer friend might'a foun' us ternight...stay here with the others, I'll get the rest of yer friends back up 'ere"

And with that, the dwarf set off again, leaving Ata very upset...and most of all...worried

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dravis reached the doors of the monastery some time later, he reached up for the tremendous knocker, only to find the massive doors swung open. A nobleman greeted him, although he seemed less that thrilled to see a human in such garb at his doorstep. "I'm sorry friend, but we are very busy, unless your matters are extremely pressing I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to come back tomorrow..."

As the noble moved to shut the door Dravis stopped him, "I beg your pardon sir, but you did not even give me the chance to introduce myself. My name is Dravis Stalathar, the one called Odynitr extended a personal invitation to me to do some studies within his collection." Dravis presented the piece of parchment that granted him such access. The nobleman's eyes scanned over it, then his eyes widened, he looked back to Dravis, taking a good look into his eyes still plainly reptilian, the only thing he couldn't disguise.

The noble quickly bid him entry and led him through some of the halls, "I'm very sorry about that, but as I said we're quite busy right now. We certainly are glad to have a creature of your type in our midst, we know how rarely you dragon kin leave your mountains for anything other than war. But recently one of our esteemed arcanites returned and it seems he'd fallen into a bit of trouble. He brought several friends with him, one of them, a young girl was in bad health and apparently all of them were wounded here and there. Only one of them was really able to tell us a great deal about what their situation was, a pale elf fellow, Keeneyes or something like that...."

Dravis stopped, his eyes widened, "Vaden Keeneyes?" he asked in a tone hardly above a whisper.

"Yes that sounds right, do you know him?" asked the noble.

"Take me to the girl, now," Dravis said.

"Excuse me?" the nobleman asked.

"Now!" demanded Dravis. The noble flinched despite Dravis not making a move. He quickly led Dravis toward the medical wing, but the way was heavily congested. People were running back and forth, they were busy indeed, Dravis didn't have time for this. With a word he dispelled his illusionary disguise, revealing his true hulking draconic form. Instantly everyone in his way made him a path, knowing full well an angry draconum was never a pretty sight.

In a moment he found himself before Atalisk who had recently laid the weary Silluin on a bed. "Dravis Stalathar, this is Atalisk Edenheart and the girl I mentioned earlier, Atalisk is the one who brought that Keeneyes fellow here," said the noble. Dravis hardly paid attention, he only listened long enough to hear that name, Atalisk Edenheart. The draconum's eyes locked with the human arcanite, Atalisk returned the stare, but his expression was more awed than Dravis's.

Dravis bowed low and introduced himself, "Greetings Atalisk Edenheart, I am Dravis Stalathar, a good friend of the storied Vaden Keeneyes." When he rose Atalisk hadn't quite regained his composure, Dravis let out a snort, "What's a matter? You've never spoken to a dragon kin before?" Dravis let out a hearty laugh, drawing him even more attention than he'd already gained. He smirked, none of them must have had much contact with his kind, that meant there wasn't likely a fully seasoned traveler among them, or at the very least, none had been to a high stakes battle.

Now Dravis turned his attention to Silluin, she looked the least shocked to see such a creature, whether she'd seen his kin before, or this was just an effect of her health problems recently he didn't know. However there was something to her that did catch his interest, he took a deep breath through his nose, then smiled, "Yes it's clear you know Keeneyes, between you and the human here it smells as if he's almost in the room. Tell me if you would miss, what would be the proper thing to call you?"

She hesitated for a moment, Atalisk began to speak up, but Dravis cut him off with a gesture, he wanted to hear directly from her. Silluin spoke slowly, not sure of just how to address Dravis, "I... Silluin..."

Dravis folded his wings around himself and bowed again, "Well Lady Silluin, it is my sincerest pleasure to meet you. Now, if you gentlemen would excuse us, I'd like to speak with the lady privately... and I believe the one over there is in need of some assistance. I'd be glad to help, but I have no knowledge of healing."

"I think the lady needs some rest..." began Atalisk. As far as he knew Vaden was dead, and he didn't want to risk the girl he'd sworn to protect with this bizarre stranger, but Silluin stopped him.

"Atalisk, it's fine..." said Silluin. Atalisk looked at her, but he could tell it would be pointless to argue. Silluin would do as she pleased, and without Vaden's help it didn't seem likely that he'd talk her into a different direction. He nodded and went over to the woman Geg had had strung up earlier.

Dravis kneeled beside Silluin's bed, she spoke to him in a hushed tone, "I'm still not totally sure of my common yet, do you know any elvish, or perhaps... the language of the Uruk Hai?"

Dravis spoke in a low tone as well, but he spoke in that breed of orcish Silluin had used to speak to Vaden for so much of their time together. "My dear one does not know Vaden Keeneyes for as long as I have without picking up quite a bit of his languages. As for elvish, I can speak in the tongues of the high elves, but there's some history there, and I prefer not to use it."

Silluin nodded, "It's strange to encounter someone like you, who claims to know Vaden, he never mentioned knowing someone like you. Then again I haven't been able to learn much about him...." She stopped then looked Dravis in the eyes, "But I can tell you're telling the truth, your hands show your honesty."

"Vaden didn't usually like to talk about himself, one example of how stunningly different he and his brother are.... but that's something for another day. What drew me to you over the arcanist is indeed in your smell, at Vaden's name I smelled a tiny bit of concern. That's not something that's commonly given to Vaden Keeneyes these days. As such, I think it is you who I must tell this. Tonight I witnessed an omen. Something terrible has befallen him. I will not say for certain that his fate has been sealed just yet, but in any case, it is unlikely that he will live much longer."

Silluin looked for a long time at Dravis, thinking very carefully on what she wanted to say. Finally she decided, "Tell Atalisk to lead us back down to where Vaden was last seen, I want to be with the group that goes in search of him."

Dravis was about to protest, but there was something to that look in her eye that stopped him. He grinned as he realized what it was, it was Vaden's look. That same look of stubborn resolve he always showed before recklessly rushing in. There was no reasoning with someone who wore that look, if he and the arcanist didn't accompany her, she was going to go there alone, one way or another. Dravis turned to Atalisk, who'd just finished applying a good deal of healing magics to the gravely injured woman. It appeared as though she'd make it, but the arcanist was visibly drained, with all the sinister forces in the air it appeared Dravis would be the lone force keeping them defended. Luckily that was a task he believed himself to be more than capable of.

He turned to Atalisk, "Master Edenheart, Lady Silluin has requested that you lead her and I to find Vaden. All things considered I think it's better you and I accompany her now, than she go off on her own as she likely will later. I understand you are greatly fatigued, but there is little in this land or any other that would risk making war with a draconum without an army behind it."

Atalisk had a dazed look on his face, true as that was, that demon who stalked them could still be alive, and if he was Atalisk didn't like the idea of he and Silluin in their current states going out there. Even more dire was the threat of the grinners. Still, as Dravis said, Silluin was likely to go off on her own if he didn't lead the way, and that would make matters even worse. "I leave the choice to you master Edenheart, will you lead a search party for Vaden, or am I and the lady going to have to go by ourselves?" asked Dravis, adding in the part about himself to make it clear there was no one who would stop him from going down there.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Jalynn stumbled through the snowdrift, her legs numb from cold and exhaustion. Where was she? The blizzard was so fierce, it had stolen the world away to the inches before her eyes, all that was left behind was white snow and black night. A world without emotion, so cold in its desolation, yet to intimate. When she cried her tears froze, she didn’t bother to check the bandages beneath her coat, if that had frozen she’d soon be dead, maybe it had but even ignorance of ones own fate was to deny it. She shivered for the first time in hours, and pressed on into the dead world around her.

The Gedian Wars, so long ago they seemed, now she was here again in the darkness of her past, facing the same long walk that had claimed all but her life. There was another world wasn’t there? Was this but a dream? All she remembered was pain, torment and death, such a world couldn’t be real, the cold of the storm was all there was, the world beyond veiled by the snow and the night.

Though her arms had lost most of their feeling, her hand was tight around the hilt of her sword, the only thing she had left after the massacre in the mountains, attacked in the night by their enemy, the walls overrun, panic and chaos during the worst storm in near history, she had tried fighting, but they spilled through the gate like an unending torrent, soon enough she was pressed to run like the rest of her people, into the night to die in the desolate mountains.

It was so long ago, causes, faces, all lost to the passage of time, she no longer knew why she had fought, it seemed almost as if she had died in that long journey, and been born anew from the cold womb of the mountains. Now here she was again, facing death once more, cold and alone.

Pain. No! it wasn’t real, it was a memory of the past, her walk through the mountains was real. Light flickered through the night and snow, like flashes of lightning, in the illumination she saw blood and people fighting, and the monster, that terrible thing that looked like a man. Gone the moment it arrived, and she shuddered anew, this time not for the cold.

Jalynn pressed on, if she stopped too long she might not be able to start again, her legs giving way to the cold. All she had left was her will to survive, without that there was no hope.

His face flickered through the snow again, blood on his teeth.

“NO!” She shouted in anger, pain and fear. “YOU’RE NOT REAL!” but all that surrounded her was darkness, and darkness had no ears.

Have to keep moving, cant stop, just the cold getting to me!

She pressed on each step becoming harder than the last, how long had passed since she fled the walls of the encampment? Two days? Three? Could it have been mere hours? Time sucked away by this icy void as well

Shadows loomed in the falling snow before her, as she walked they resolved into the twisted shape of dead trees. The cold not content to strip their leaves for winter, but freezing the ground and the very sap within them, robbing them of life.

Jalynn let her numb body fall against the nearest trunk, dead branches giving almost no respite from the snowfall, its trunk colder than her. This time she didn’t waste her tears crying. “Where are you?” She asked him. “You were supposed to save me.” This was where he found her, wasn’t it?

Instead the light flashed again through the woods, the demon there closing in, his eyes aflame with malicious deeds.

She screamed and ran, forsaking rescue to flee this thing that chased her through her dreams, through the landscape of her soul, through the cold hell of Gedia.

Where was he?

She stumbled through roots and snowdrifts, into the darkness that had no end, aimless and harrowed by a demon from somewhere else, from the place of pain and suffering beyond the blizzard.

Shadowed trees rushed by like snowflakes, the world a blur, somewhere in her flight the darkness had begun to turn to grey morning was coming. And with it…..

Her limbs were stiff as well as numb, her breath ragged, her eyes blurring. She remembered that long ago, the first time this happened, this was the moment when she knew she would die here in the cold, even as the world warmed to the light of the sun, her heart would freeze, alone.

And then she fell against the nearest tree, robbed of her will, both here now, and in the past.

The blizzard began to fade, the world opened up to the dawning sun, and its first light made a halo around the figure walking through the snow.

Jalynn could hardily see him, her eyes fading, but he came to her wrapped in furs, snow falling softly on his shoulders.

Adelas

He took his furs off and wrapped them round her cold body, and beneath was his Tracian uniform. That moment long ago had meant so much, the enemy that had all but killed her, saved her from cold oblivion. It was just like the first time it happened.

She smiled even though it pained her, and cold tears spilt over her cheeks.

“What’s your name?” He said softly, there was only concern in his voice.

Words came hard, her face numb. “Ja..Ja....n”

There was malicious laughter, filled with hate. Jalynn looked around terrified, the demon had found her, here of all places, in this place and this time when her world began.

Adelas didn’t hear the laugher nor notice her fear. When she looked up at him then, his eyes were grey, clouded over in death, his throat open, blood gushing out down his chest, steaming in the cold.

The demon laughed, defiling her thoughts as it had done her.

No” she whimpered softly, the numbness giving way to the pain of her body, cold Gedia dissolving around her.

“No” her voice sounded so weak, where was she?

She was somewhere, back in the world of pain, somewhere she didn’t recognise, there was someone there with her.

Adelas?” She cried.

But it wasn’t him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Artix's heart was still pumping in his chest. Like a huge wardrum. Pa-dum-pa-dum. It echoced, as if his chest was as hollow as the war drums he imagined. He had never really thought of having children, but it's not as if.... What did it matter now? Thorn had jumped into action and saved him.

That little mage was quite impressive. Better than me. I just sat there, i was useless. Like a blunted sword... Dammit! That bastard.... He only wished that he had been able to fight the man. The one that had nearly killed Thorn, and not to mention, him. But the man had used arrows, rather than hand-to-hand. Was that for better or for worse? Of course, he imagined himself destroying the man, but would that truly have happened? Not likely. But possible. He had taken out the Rohirrim, not to mention his fight with Vaden...

Vaden. He had nearly forgot about the elf. Foolish really. The elf and the man had fallen in the water, and that's all. He had no idea where either of them were. He hardly cared about the human, but he hoped with all his heart Vaden was alright. He wanted to finsh this quest if it took his life. Well at THIS rate, it might. Artix guffawed to himself. Yeah. It was going to be a long trip. But that appealed to Artix. More than he knew.

Pain still shot through his joints as he looked up to Thorn.

"Thorn...." He coughed up phlem and blood "Thank-you..."

17. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    A dragon kin!?

Ata had thought that all the dragonkin had been long forgotten in these lands, especially since their last venture into these lands was not a pleasant one...but here he stood, bearing the name Dravis and as frightening as any story he was ever told. Ata had messed with worse before him, though, so the effect was slightly less shocking than it would have been weeks ago.

The dragonkin had immediately started off on the wrong foot with him, simply by taking his form within this sanctuary. Ata's rage was completely covered by surprise, however, leaving it boiling slightly beneath the surface. He introduced himself, and made reference to Vaden, where he then turned his attention to Silluin and dismissed him to discuss matters with her privately. He guessed he should be thankful that the ass took his true form, otherwise his manners would have sat worse, and Ata would have done something stupid, more or less leading to his own demise. Remembering his duties, he carried on...

The young woman that Horace had brought in was in seriously bad shape. The wounds that she bore were ranging from mediocre to life-threatening, but he knew who must have made them: Geg. The bastard had sealed one of his stabs with a hot weapon, something that seemed like something he would do...Wiping some blood from her cuts, he sealed her wounds in a flash, and her breathing returned to normal. The effect took hold immediately, and Ata could feel himself becoming incredibly weak as the room began to spin and his vision started to blur. Damn, another minute and this poor woman would have been all but another chip in Geg's pile...that sick, twisted piece-

"Adelas?"

The girl had come to slightly, her voice quivering and weak. She began to look at Ata, at first with a look of sadness, then an overwhelming stare of dread. She began to let out a cry when Ata dropped a tear onto her forehead, sending her into a deep sleep. She called him Adelas....why did that name sound familiar?

The dragonkin had finished with Silluin, and now turned his attention back to Ata. Too weak to shake with fury, but just strong enough to show it, Ata listened as the dragonkin explained the plan, and left him to decide.

Ata stood slowly, making sure to maintain his balance so that he didn't fall flat on his face. If things truly were as bad as everyone was making it seem, then this would not do...Turning to face the intimidating form that towered before him, Ata made to enforce something before he answered.

"My apologies if I seem rude dragonkin, for you are a very respectable person in your own right I am sure, but I would very much appreciate it if you didn't pull anything like you did entering this hospital. There are plenty of orphaned children running about that have lost families and loved ones thanks to unruly tyrants such as your kind and if they see you it could only lead to disaster."

The dragonkin stared at him, his eyes narrowed, piercing into Ata like sharp arrows. Ata did not break his gaze, although he most certainly would have liked to at any time...this creature could more than easily tear him to bits right now, but if he had a dragon side, he had a human side, and he could only hope that this was the kind of dragonkin that used it...

Dravis flared his nostrils and a puff of smoke left them, as he retook his human form. Either Ata was lucky, or this guy wasn't as bad as he thought...his voice felt shaky, but he kept his composure and continued:

"My many thanks Dravis, and once again I apologize for the rudeness. My thoughts are only for the children...."

He nodded his head, and Ata continued on:

"If we are to go searching for Vaden, then it would be best to meet up with Horace at the base. If the Grinners are still nearby, and anywhere near as intelligent as I think they are, they'll keep their distance with him around. As for Geg, if he's below, then I leave it to you to keep Silluin protected. In all my honesty, however, I don't believe I can follow you two, which means I leave my trust in your ability to keep her safe. In the meantime, there are a few things I must do with haste if we are to keep this from spiraling out of control. I must warn you, do not misjudge either enemy. If you are one of the northern clan, then you certainly should know your Grinners by now, however this human is a crafty bastard, and if I'm right about it, the Grinners are keeping an eye on him, so stay on guard."

Dravis stared at him again, then chuckled a bit as he spoke:

"I believe I've seen my fair share of battles, Mr. Edenheart, I believe I know how to "stay on my guard". As for the girl, she means something to Vaden, and you can rest easy knowing that she's in capable hands. Before we depart however, you must clarify something with me....this Horace you speak of, it wouldn't happen to be the wild dwarf known as Wildaxe would it?"

Ata was not surprised that someone who was truly seasoned on the field of battle would know the dwarf, he was practically a legend in some places.

"I believe you would be correct on that, he stopped in just before Master and I left a couple of weeks ago...in any case, should you two know each other, find him and stick close! I must be off now, may the grace of the divines be with you both."

He turned now to Silluin, hoping to clarify things with her before he started in on his plan:

"I'm truly sorry that I cannot follow, but I believe that this man can help you better than I could any day. All my prayers go to Vaden's safety, and I hope for your sake, as well as Dravis', that things aren't too late..."

And with that, Ata swept from the room, rushing down the hall to his Master's room. This was a terribly desperate move...but if this wasn't stopped soon, all of Draedyng could be a warzone before daybreak.

18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    He was alone now, a comforting numbness had washed over him as the darkness had washed over his body. He could scarcely tell the difference between his eyes being open and shut, the darkness that was present all around him made both equally black. The weight of his body seemed gone, he wasn't really sure he was even attached to it anymore save for the occasional twitch he was able to force himself to make. So this was what it was like to be dead, just the way he'd remembered it.

He supposed this wasn't so bad, it wasn't likely Geg had survived, hopefully Vaden would be able to convince himself Geg was gone in the eternity to come. However Vaden was soon joined by another spirit. One that had been unable to reach the afterlife as long as Vaden had been alive. It was a spirit of a man whose mission in life had been simple, to end the life of Vaden Keeneyes. He'd failed, but in death his mocking voice was Vaden's constant companion, never letting him forget the blood on his hands.

"That's it? That's all it took to kill the demon? One of the chosen champions of the eagle gods, and you were beaten by someone like that? You're more pathetic now than I would have remembered you Vaden," all at once the soothing numbness that had held Vaden was gone, replaced by all the pain he'd known in his final moments returned ten fold. Richter's face appeared before him, the only sight Vaden was capable of seeing in the choking blackness.

"How ironic is it Keeneyes? You find your soul, only to lose your life? The one person in your worthless life to have ever been worth protecting, and you failed. You know as well as I do that that bastard isn't dead, and now that you're here laying on your back there's nothing to stop him from doing whatever the hell he wants to those friends of yours. Strong as they are there's not a one of them that can overcome him. He possesses something that only you can stop."

As Richter spoke visions swirled about Vaden, his life passed before him, from the slaughter of his family, his pursuit of the orcs, that fated omen, and so so much more. And yet as the past swirled before him he soon found his demons and failures returning. Richter, the lich, those damnable half trolls, Ray, Taira, the Chaipaku, and that damned Stranger all of them were as real as when he'd known them, all tore into him with blades of darkness, forged in the fires of their hatred of him.

But as they beat him, he thought nothing of the pain of this, his own private hell, he thought only of the girl he'd sworn he would protect, and the beast that stalked her. As if summoned through his thoughts that beast appeared, blood and malice dripping from his grinning jaws. The other terrors of his past parted, giving that devil access to him. Vaden stared at Geg, the human drew a blade from the darkness, it was tainted with his evil, the very essence of his black heart.

"Your entire life you've always wondered why the gods saved you that day in the blasted lands..." said the ghost that was once Richter. Geg, or this thing that looked like Geg, drew closer, with each step his body twisted, warping to reveal the monster that he truly was.

"...You left your home, your brother, everything you knew, in search of that purpose..." Geg's terrible tongue slide across his teeth in anticipation of Vaden's flash.

"...After hitting bottom you thought you'd never find it, you opened yourself to darkness..." Geg was now close enough for Vaden to feel the heat of his breath as it poured from his nostrils.

"...But eventually not even darkness would be your companion. You were alone, lost, and had abandoned finding your purpose..." Geg stopped suddenly as the other ghosts of Vaden's past merged with him, creating something that couldn't be called human, something more terrible than any demon, a true vision of Geg's soul.

"...Then, as swiftly as you'd given up hope, she appeared. Her existence gave you hope, you'd found your purpose, you would give up your life to defend hers. Now we're here, the zero hour, there's no time to waste, what will you do Vaden? Will you stay here and let him finally place you into the true afterlife, or will you continue to live long enough to make your wretched existence worth it in the first place?"

Geg smiled as he began to raise his cursed blade.

"I will..." said Vaden. Geg's grin grew wider as his arm continued up.

"I will..." Geg's sword reached it's highest point, suddenly it began it's descent...

"I WILL SURVIVE!!!!!!!" Vaden shouted, his cry blasting Geg apart as his fighting spirit returned.

He was alone with Richter again, his old nemesis spoke, "You don't have long Vaden, your body is at it's limit. If you hurry you can make it in time. You can make it all worth it, and then finally the two of us will be able to rest in peace, wherever we end up in the afterlife. But first, you have to wake up...."

Vaden's eyes snapped open as his body returned to life. He tested his limbs, he was mangled, one arm was completely useless to him now but he could still fight well enough to drag that bastard to the abyss before his body finally gave out. He fought his way to his feet, finding two animals waiting for him. One was Burz' horse, the one Silluin had given him. The other however, was much more interesting.

It sat perched on a low branch, but it kept it's wings spread. As his eyes locked with it's the eagle let out a loud cry. It's echo was louder than it had been those years ago, appropriate, since the things that would claim him now were far more dangerous. Then suddenly the creature flew away, the gods protection had lasted only until he could stand on his own again. He didn't care, he didn't need their protection anymore, soon enough he'd be joining them for good.

He climbed atop the horse, before he could command it it took him swiftly back toward the gate. The creature would die with him, two owners dead in such a short time, if nothing else sorrow would claim it's life. As his hand struggled to find something to fight with, his body apparently having been robbed, he found something. It was a cord woven of rough hairs, just like those of the Uruk Hai. It seemed Burz' spirit would help to give him the strength to defend Silluin. As Vaden adjusted this cord that would be his weapon, he knew he'd be needing all the help he could get....

Dravis nodded as he helped Silluin to her feet. So he was finally going to meet the storied Wildaxe eh? That was good, he'd wanted to meet that dwarf for some time, he'd only wished it could be under happier circumstances. Atalisk had seemed a bit overly polite, apologizing to the draconum for what he himself had done so foolishly? Dravis supposed that was just the way of arcanites, never wanting to offend.

He soon forgot this as he and Silluin made their way to the gate. The outside was a dark and foreboding place. The moon was high in the air, making the fog that covered the ground appear as white as the clouds in day. He readied the mace, the smell of malice was thicker in the air than the fog could ever be. "Stay close m'lady, there's danger in the air," he said in a low rumbling tone as they carefully crossed the bridge.

As they reached the other side somehow it seemed the fog thickened, Dravis sniffed deeply, there was magic in the air... Before he could attempt to find it's source he found himself under attack. Dravis was flung to the ground by a powerful force. He quickly regained his feet and moved just in time to block a strong armed blow from a mighty axe. He clashed with his foe several times, but the fog made it so he couldn't see his enemy, only barely being able to tell where his weapon would come from next. Could this be what had killed Vaden?

Dravis' mind couldn't focus, between the attack, the fog, and having lost track of Silluin there was a lot to consider, unfortunately for now all he could worry about was staying alive, one seconds hesitation would spell his death from this attacker...

Silluin heard the sounds of Dravis' battle only briefly before becoming completely separated from the dragon kin. She wandered through the fog, hoping to find Dravis, or perhaps Vaden... He was lost, he needed her help, she wouldn't lose him, but in this dreamy fog it seemed impossible that she'd be able to find anything. Then strangely the fog parted, and she was met by a cloaked figure.

But there was something about him that calmed her, that cloak, it was, could it be? "Vaden?" she said in disbelief as he stumbled toward her. The cloak was definitely Vaden's, she'd worn it as much as he had by this point. And those blades at his hips were certainly the same that Vaden carried. She began to walk toward him, but just as she got too close she realized something was wrong. His hands, they didn't move the way Vaden's did. Then as if to confirm her fears Geg pulled back his hood.

"Well hello there darling... did you miss me?!" Silluin felt herself begin to faint. She was still exhausted from everything, and for her fears to fully manifest themselves in this nightmare, it was too much. But as Geg reached for her something distracted him. He turned to face it, and like a stone thrown from a catapult it threw him hard against the ground. As she watched the shape that had tackled Geg took form. Vaden was alive, he'd come back to make good on his promise, he was going to protect her, no matter what he was going to protect her....

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The long road shrouded in chaos, from bitter day to cool evening he walked, there and yet somewhere else. Dying inside his own body.

Geg choked off a laugh. Of all the wounds he had taken, it was the cold of the river and the loss of blood that sucked the strength from his bones.

He had taken the edge of a sword to the side of his head, only narrowly avoided death by raising his own blade in the nick of time. With half his ear gone and the red torrent down his cheek he had pummelled the foolish foe to ruin.

He smiled, remembering the pop and the ripping as he tore the arm from the lifeless corpse in a fit of rage. Such power there was in anger, and it was Geg’s.

People, in their whimpering called him a monster, less than human, but he was so much more. He took what made mankind strong, lust, hate, greed, rage, and abandoned all the other weaknesses and distractions. Mad Geg was the epitome of the human condition, the sprawling flesh and lurching emotion, in its purest form.

Yes, wounds could not staunch the fire in his heart, and even death would have to battle that mad rage before it claimed him.

As he shambled through the twilight, the shadows danced from the branches of trees, movement skipped where there was no life, and the fog that fell around him took life;
    Shapes like screaming faces, their long soundless wails echoing against the darkness.

His cold fingers flexed, new fire reaching them at last, his thoughts raced on; bloodied faces, screaming women and dead faces. Blueing lips curled up in a twisted smile. He could feel death coming, but before it was out he would wreak havoc on this world as he had done all his life, he would gouge a wound so deep into the heart of the world it would remember until the very end.

And he would start with that elven whore,

It was then he noticed his surroundings, he was close now, in the forests near the falls, he could hear them distantly through the mist.

Geg pulled Vaden’s hood over to shadow his face, and hunched low as if wounded to disguise his height. Hopefully he would get in close before they realised their mistake.

As he walked on the trees departed like ghosts through the fog and he was alone at the edge of the bridge, above the moon bathed the world in ethereal light, making the world seem but a memory hidden beneath the fog.

Ahead of him there was a figure, and he stumbled forward, his eyes struggling to focus eventually seeing who it was through the fog.

Under the shadow of his hood, his teeth felt the night air as he grinned his bestial grin. He heard he call out the elf’s name and he relished every second, waiting for the climax when she realised her fate.

As they came together he brought down his hood and watched her heart sink in her eyes.

"Well hello there darling... did you miss me?!"

If even words had been sweeter Geg did not know them the anticipation was like a narcotic. Every second was filled with the toughts of his desires. He heard her squeals, shrieks and whimpers, tasted her tears and the hot gush of blood against his maw as he bit into her, gored her with his teeth, defiled in every day.

Moments seemed like lifetimes in his mind, he would pile his retribution onto her and laugh at the thought of her rotting guardian, a feast for maggots and carrion birds.

He hands reached out to grab her, she stood affixed and frozen like a porcelain statue.

A sound?

Too late, muffled by the fog and his waning senses, Geg only had time to grab a balde before weight smacked into him.

Lust for blood and carnal desired at once gave way to mammoth rage. Fire like the sun, like the bowels of hell felled him as the thing took him to the ground. At once he shouldered it and rolled grabbing for one of the blades he had dropped.

He turned to see his attacker, none other than the dead elf, eyes focused with determination.

“This time I’ll make sure you stay dead.” Geg grunted, no power this fool had could match Geg’s rage. But he resisted nonetheless, rushed Geg as Geg rushed his own foes, battled him to the ground, before Geg could raise his weapon or take stance.

Something more than will was in Vaden’s eyes, but anger kept Geg focused only on his demise.

A cold hand grabbed for Gegs face, almost limp, fumbling. Geg struck back with his free hand, punching for the source. He felt his hand smack against bone, again and again eventually there was a crack.

As he did this his teeth gnashed, eventually catching a finger and he bit down, tasted blood and felt bone snap and felt the loose fleth in his mouth.

Geg laughed and spat the digit into the face before him, but something was wrong. The elf was transfixed, he didn’t notice the pain or the blood, Geg’s laughs did not reach his ears. It was as if he really were dead.

Geg grunted, if he had to tear the fool apart he would, he would get a scream sooner or later, if he had to leave the fool alive to watch him **** the girl through her eye-sockets.

In the confusion the elf had got something round his neck, and tightened it at last, a rope or string, the bastard.

Sucking for air he could not reach, Geg scratched at his neck, tearing skin and flesh. He felt his heart pounding blood into the dead end.

With the one sword left in his grasp Geg met the elf’s stare and plunged his own blade into the fool’s ribs.

There was a flinch in his gaze but no more, not a mote less pressure holding the thong round his neck, not a tear nor a whimper.

Geg wrenched the blade back out halfway, twisted and plunged again. He felt blood spill over his knuckles but the elf would not relent.

He grunted soundlessly, without the air to make noise. Felt his eyes bulge, his teeth clench so tight they might break. This could not be happening, his rage was more than any man, nothing could resist the pain he wrought on others. Nothing!

Again he stabbed into the elf’s chest cavity, sliding the blade in and out like he was ****ing. The fools guts had to be minced, why wasn’t he dead?

Geg plunged once more, his hands suddenly weak, his vision a blur. The fire in his lungs giving way to numbness.

The fire in his heart waxed, and with the rage that was left to him he moved his teeth and lips soundlessly.

Hell…….Waits……

And in that second, all motion ceased, and Geg’s eyes lost focus.

Death.

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden's body was eerily calm as he brought Geg to the ground. They quickly broke, Geg got a hold of one of the blades he'd carried there, Vaden didn't care. As he brought the bastard to the ground he took more damage, the blade tore through his body, Vaden didn't care, even a finger was bit off, Vaden didn't care. He pushed his rage aside, he pushed revenge aside, all thought was pushed aside. All that mattered to him at this moment was getting that cord around the bastard's neck, fulfilling his promise to Silluin, proving to himself that he was worth a damn.

Geg's rage was a sight indeed. He'd spent days bleeding, and yet somehow he was still as strong as ever. But it didn't matter, it was Vaden's destiny to die here, but he wouldn't die before he was sure Geg was gone first. The pain in his body was unreal, so terrible that his body stopped feeling it. For hours it seemed they struggled, but Vaden wouldn't let go. Everything in his body told him to give up, but somehow he continued. Finally, after Geg had assured Vaden would follow him to the abyss soon Geg's arm stopped working the weapon. Geg's heart stopped, his eyes glazed, Mad Geg was dead.

"Vaden!" that voice seemed so far away, but as his body began to topple, he felt Silluin catch him. Suddenly he was there again, right next to her. She had called him back from the abyss, but it wouldn't last. Another figure stood there nearby, the black specter of death itself. It stood patiently, Vaden smiled, or he thought he did, he really couldn't tell, but he knew he had just enough to say his final farewell, to the only person in ages who meant anything to him.

He felt a warmness enter his wounded abdomen, he slapped her hand away, "There'll be none of that. This has been a long time coming, I've been running from death for too long. It's time I finally joined my ancestors in the next life." She looked at him shocked, her eyes showing more sadness than he'd seen in her since they'd first met. But she kept her promise, she didn't cry.

Vaden put his arm around her neck, holding her close enough that she could hear his weakened voice, "I've got a lot to say, and not long to say it, so I want you to listen close. I've been wandering this world for more generations of men than I can count. I've met and fought people from all corners of the earth, but in all that time I've only ever let a few people close. What's it been, a week? And you already mean more to me than my own blood. I taught you a language, what you've given me is so much greater. For that I could never thank you enough, even if I had more time.

"I wish we'd had longer, so that you could learn my history, and I could learn yours. But it seems I'll have to wait before I get that chance. You however, can learn of me, everything I am, for there are still several people walking this earth that can tell you of me. There's one in particular I want you to meet. I trust in the gods to guide the two of you together, as they brought you to me. You'll know him when you see him. When you do, tell him that I have finally fallen. He'll know, but your words will confirm it beyond any doubt."

"Who?" she stopped him. He'd wanted to keep going, but he supposed he owed her at least the knowledge of who he wanted her to find.

"His name is Dack, and we share the same eyes..." he looked to the specter as he said this. It began to draw nearer, he had only a moment now. "There's so much I still want to say, but time is short. You'll never know how deep my gratitude is to you, Silluin. I could never repay you for what you've done for me. I don't know if I'll ever reach heaven, but I now believe I may be able to reach a place other than hell. If it is so, then I shall do my best to watch over you from the next life..."

The specter drew closer still, time was up. "Promise me this, whatever happens, live a happy life, and never feel sorrow when you think of me.... my berothak..." he said with his final breath. As the sight vanished from his eyes he saw her nod, she said something, but what it was he would never know. He stood now, looking at Silluin as she held up his lifeless body. As the specter guided him away the fog vanished. The dwarf, Horace, appeared, next to him was an armored human. The sight of him brought a smile to his lips. Take care of her Dravis... I'm counting on you to bring Dack to her....

As Dravis and Horace appeared, each wounded slightly from their battle Silluin couldn't take her eyes from the friend she now held in her arms. It had been a stroke of luck that the two mighty warriors had been able to realize they weren't enemies before it was too late, but that meant little now, they saw the lifeless body of Vaden. Dravis rested a hand on Silluin's shoulder, trying as best he could to comfort her, "Do not mourn for him m'lady. For him this was the only way he could ever be happy, now he can finally put his devils behind him."

But as she turned to him and the draconum took the dead elf into his arms Silluin's words surprised him. "Dravis.... what does berothak mean?" she asked. The draconum cocked an eyebrow, he spoke many languages, among them most of the tongues of the orcs, certainly the majority of the ones spoken by the Keeneyes brothers. But that word, it was of a type that they'd never let Dravis learn. It was the code language of the brotherhood of the hawk. And there was only one person alive that could still speak it.

"I cannot say, for that is a word that few, even among the orcs can understand. I can think of only one person capable of telling you what it means, and the news of this one will be quite important to him. When this is all finished, perhaps I could help you find him?" Dravis said. Silluin nodded slightly, it looked like she was definitely going to have to find this Dack person. But that would have to wait. There was a lot they still had to do before they could even consider finding Dack Keeneyes, wherever he was.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
Search tags for this page

content