Journey Into the Light

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 26, 2007.

1. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Ray awoke sweaty and skaking. He pulled a dagger and looked around...Just a dream Ray...calm down. Ray looked around for a little longer and finnaly put the dagger up. He attached his arm brace and stood up. He was hungery and becasue it'd been four days since he'd eaten. He looked at his cross bow...he was out of ammo. He had also been mugged yesterday got a broken from it. He was going to starve if he didn't find a city or town.

A few hours of walking and cursing his growling stomach he walked smack into a guard who inturn pulled a sword on him damn...just what I need.

"You blind boy?!"

Ray eyed him for a while and then answered,"No but I'm almost dead. Does that count?"

The guard roled his eyes and pointed at a building behind him. Ray hadn't noticed the small town for he'd been focussed on the sword. The building was a medical building...come to think of it most of the buildings were.

"What exactly is this town?"

"This is a medical outpost. Orc attacks are at high. If your hurt then enter that building and they'll fix you up,"

Ray entered the building and a man took him to mat and then went on to check out his arm.

"What happened to you?"

"Bandit,"

"More info please,"

"Bandit...with a hand axe,"

The doctor sighed and rolled his eyes,"Was he or she tall,tanned,skinny...or what?"

"The guy had an axe...that's all I needed to know. Hey I didn't come here to give a report on 'The Great Bandits of the World' I came for the arm and some food,"

The doctor left and when he returned he had some broth and a few medical,including a wood block.

Ray gulped and asked,"Am I gona need to bite down on that?"

"Yup,"

Ray set down the broth and then bit own the block and tensed up as the doctor started opperating on his arm. An hour and a half of pain later the doctor told him that'd he'd finished. Ray looked at his sticthed up arm and laid down and ate his broth.

After a While he started drifting off and he was seeing a boy...laying in blood and dying. The boy reminded him of Ray...alot. Ray opened his eyes when a scream was herd and a guard ran in.

"The orcs are hear!"

Ray got on his feat and picked up a dagger. He put on his arm brace and went outside. There were about twenty of them and only four lightly armed guards. Ray prepared for a fight and got one. The orcs drew first blood as they slew three guards with ease but there was one,the one that Ray ran into,who was causing trouble. He killed off orcs. First one, then two, then there were three dead orcs. It was amazing that this guy was fighting off all of them. Ray snapped out of his awe and charge in. After about three minutes the orcs were dead.

"Hey boy you ok?"

"Yeah I guess...how about you"

"Mhm,"

He turned and told a man that they needed to evacuate. The man turned and announced the news. The came over and explained that that was the guy who ran the joint. Ray packed his stuff and left with them.

"Where are we going?" Ray asked the guard

"We are going to...Moridor...to surrender and beg for mercy,"

Ray stopped and watched in horror as the rest of them marched off to their death.

"YOU CAN'T!" Ray called but they kept marching.

Ray forgot about the men and women who'd given up. He needed to find the Elf and get his memory back...what was the used it'd been two years sence then and he couldn't bring himself to face someone who thought he was dead...But what if thought you were someone else? Ray smiled and started marching to The City of Orcs. This was the one place where humans and elves could come into contact without being attacked. It was the one place he knew he'd find some answers...and mabey someone.

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Geg lunged once more.

“Die you ****ing bastard!” He growled at the shadowed figure, passing through it without the slightest hint of something solid.

He was back amongst the flames and the darkness, the figure before him silent and watchful, only this time Geg could feel his body, even if every fibre of it consisted of pain he could feel it.

So he threw the pain filled husk at the figure time and time again, trapped alone in a place that was nowhere, Geg was reduced to his rage alone.

After one more stumbling lunch he paused to circle the figure. “Do something!” He shouted. “Either die or fight back!”

Geg circled for another few heartbeats, and just as he shifted his weight for another lunge the cold ominous voice of the figure boomed across the flame filled void.

“Two you have given us.” It was different this time, louder, sharper and more lifeless but showed no dram of emotion, no hint of hate nor joy.

“The sop and his whore” Geg smiled. “They were fun”

“What kind of a creature takes pleasure in the ruin of others? Their pain and their torment?”

“Me”

It paused. “But what are you? Surely such a vile thing cannot be a man”

Geg laughed then, louder than the roaring flames around them. “They call me an animal, a beast” He grinned his feral grin, and flashed eyes filled with hate and malice.

“All men are animals.”

“Then I am more man than any other, I hunger, I lust, I hate and I kill as I breathe, beside me all the sins of humanity pale with fear!” Refused the right to assault this thing with his fists, he used words.

“So be it, Geg the mad, Geg the cruel, first among mankind’s shames, what a wretched thing you are.”

Geg smiled in the darkness.

Lurching from unconsciousness into the light of unfamiliar surroundings, Geg reached for a knife he couldn’t find.

A moment of confusion and anger passed as he began to remember the room he was in, the healer’s place. From the light at the window it seemed to be early morning, and Geg had no clue how long had passed since he went under.

He remembered the man using magic on him, pain through his whole body mixed with the dread he felt when magic was used, only the paralysis of the procedure had stopped him throttling the old man till his head fell off. Geg had fallen into blackness as soon as it was over.

The pain was still there in his every muscle, twice as much so where the wounds had been, but a quick inspection showed they had all healed without mark, and the haphazard stitches from the other night had been removed. He felt weakened, but not drastically so, he could move about without difficulty, but it would be at least another day till he could go back out into the wild.

Fair enough, he had business to do before he left the city, this time he would be prepared for a fight. He silently touched the bag he kept at his neck, the stolen jewels were still there.

Geg got to his feet and donned the clothes he had stolen from the farmers, and strode over to the door. As he left the room he saw the old healer in the next room reading.

“Off so soon?” The fool muttered. Geg thought about killing him, but magic users were tough to fight unless taken by surprise, Geg didn’t feel in the mood for a sudden lunch, and without a weapon it would take much longer. The man didn’t appear to be worth killing, no good valuables or anything he could sell. Besides he needed to keep a low profile until he left the city.

“Hnnh” He grunted in reply and went out the front door without looking back.

Geg strode off into the city with a purpose, having lost everything in the fight and the ensuing confusion he needed to reequip, the market district was a good place to start though it did not bode well, bartering with shopkeepers tested his patience, and Geg possessed a very short temper. He knew it was more than likely he wouldn’t make it through the day without killing someone, he just hoped he could do it in private.

“Travel clothes, rough and durable, belts, some hardened leather armour too. And good boots” Boots were the most important thing in the wilderness.

The tanner pondered, running his fingers through his grey whiskers. “Should be able to get something done by next week, I know a good tailor I work with.”

“I need them today.”

“Can’t be done, I’m backordered already and nothing to hand will fit a man of your....stature.”

In his mind, Geg’s thumbs were pressing against bone at the back of the man’s eye sockets. Instead of acting out the fantasy he reached from his small bag and plucked out a diamond ring. Gold and intricately cut jewels, it was worth a fortune in the right hands. The tanner took it up and held it to the light.

“Come back this afternoon.”

Geg was no fool. “That’s worth five times the job, where’s my ****ing change?”

After a spluttered statement of offence the fat sod finally weighed out a small purse of gold and Geg left with it, seething. With any luck when he returned for the goods he would be ready to leave town, and could tear out the man’s balls and watch him writhe before putting a knife through his ear.

Knife! Of course, he took a short stroll down the street to a large smithy that took up the whole corner building. Geg ignored the sign and went straight in. the heat of the it forge hit him immediately, and he was met with the smells and sounds of metalwork. All through the room were racks and racks of weapons, everything from clubs to claymores covered every wall.

Geg smiled and looked over them all seeing what sweet agony each one would perform. Each shape a different sound, the flat hammer a crunch and a wail, the wet thud of a sharp and heavy morningstar. It was bliss!

“Can I help you?” The words brought him back to the reality.

A thick chested smith had approached him, across the room another worked a piece of metal upon an anvil.

“I need weapons” Geg smiled, his teeth clenched tight.

“Anything in particular?”

“Knives, lots of knives, and a sword.” Geg had thought long and hard about his fight with the party, A spear was good for a bandit, he could unhorse riders from nearby trees and bushes, and he could throw it at range. All his arms before had been about surprise, but he wasn’t likely to catch those fools off guard again and northing beat a sword for fast agile cleaving. And knives were always fun and useful. Geg had other ideas too but nothing he needed from a smithy.

The smith wiped his hands with a cloth. “Well take a look along the racks and pick out whatever suits your needs, if you can’t find something you want we can make to order. Let me know if you need anything.” He quickly dismissed Geg and went back to working. Which was good enough for Geg.

He paced the room looking at each piece in turn, occasionally hefting and testing the weight. The first thing he found to his liking was a set of three knives, each identical, razor sharp blades, leather on wood handles and unornate sheathes, tools not flashing pieces of crap for rich fools with no sense. Fine work too, Geg could see the folds in the steel.

His next choice was a longer knife, almost a short sword, single edged but thick and rigid, enough weight behind it to make a good cleaver, but a gruesome point on it. Geg chopped the air with it and saw bones sliced clean in half. He imagined all the fun and added it to his small collection.

Choosing a sword had been harder, Geg had used the sword a while ago, and occasionally picked one up in a chaotic brawl so he knew what to look for, but it seemed there was every type imaginable across the walls.

Eventually he found one that suited his tastes, A broad but short double edged sword, the length for one hand but a bastard grip. The blade rippled at least fifty times showing its worth, the hilt was dark leather and shaped steel, not too flashy but a little beyond purposeful. He took it from the wall and noted the scabbard already had a belt with it, good to note.

He took the collection of arms over to the table by the smith, but on his way he saw one final item that caught his heart. An axe. Geg liked axes, the way skulls were cut in half down the middle, or the way a good swing could sent a head or an arm flying for twenty yards. With a single head and a short shaft he could try and wield it with the sword, or he could use it for the first strike or two, and fall back on the sword when it exhausted its worth. Geg grabbed it from the rack and added it to the rest of the pile.

When the smith finally came back to tally up the cost he raised one eyebrow. “These all for you or is there some war on that I don’t know about.”

Geg only grunted in response. Eventually it ended up costing him all the gold he’d got back from the tanner and a few more jewels, He’d have to start killing for goods soon, but at least now he could do it with ease.

Geg belted on the sword and added the long knife and one of the shorter ones to the belt. The rest of the weapons the smith wrapped in a cloth and Geg walked out with it under his arm.

The feel of steel near his skin again was refreshing. Right, he thought, what next?

3. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The sudden happiness that Ata had felt only moments before had disappeared as fast as it came. He was alert again, and although feeling much better than the night before, he was reverting back to his normal self.

The happiness must have come from the sudden lift of all those awful feelings...

They had exited the forest now, and were heading due northwest towards the side road to Valdon Falls. The falls were a historic landmark that stretched the length of six towns, the cliffs taller than any mountain, the rivers harsher than any storm. They had been the cause of Draedyng's safety for more than 850 years, at least until the northern Batoryan tribes had found a direct route to the center. Eroding caverns and tunnels had been dug after centuries of water rushing through them; most of them were still too dangerous to enter, let alone travel.

To those who lived in the town, reaching the top of the falls was a cinch. There was a small island, big enough for only 2 adults at the most, that had a wide cylindrical structure, whose entrance was guarded at all times by the Mask of the Immortal. For nearly as long as the town had been established, this statue has stood guard, never admitting those who were untrustworthy or unknown to it. Ata had remembered a time in his childhood, where he and his master had watched some poor soul try and force his way into the structure. The statue opened its mouth to admit him, but the orc had been crushed before he could even clear the threshold. The statue was wise to its visitor's tricks, and dealt with them all in different ways, depending on what trick they would fall for. No matter how clever the intruder was, or what trick was used, no stranger or enemy ever found passage beyond the guardian. Unless you could fly, this place was unreachable...

The road came into view, the weeds growing thick along the sides and pell mell down the trail itself. The falls were easily in view from where they were, but only because of their monstrous stature. They were a good three hours away by horse, more so if they had been on foot...thank the Xyr for transportation.

A few minutes up the trail, Vaden and Silluin had ridden up beside Atalisk, hoping to question him before they went too much further. Last night had seemed so long ago...all the fighting, all the pain, all the anger, it seemed so foreign to him now. The elf looked over, and spoke to him in a tone that had never been directed toward him until now:

"I'm sorry to impose Ata, but I feel I must ask what was with you last night. There's something else you haven't been telling us, and if it is important like the last secret you kept I would hope you were preparing to inform us sometime before that happens again."

He was waiting for this one. He had been prepared since they broke camp to be asked about what had happened last night, though as prepared as he was, he still could not think up a good answer. He replied post haste:

"If I could, I would have informed you last night before we settled down, though I hate to say I am without knowledge on the subject of blood arcana. I was merely an apprentice to my master, Odynitr Skywall, and was therefore unable to learn the use of blood magic and the like. All I knew, is that my master said the spells created using blood igniters were the strongest spells an Arcanist could produce, though the spells were to never be used lightly. If I was in a life or death situation, I was told that one blood spell would be acceptable, but anymore than that and I would be in grave danger. By using blood, the most taboo of all igniters, we trade our safety for greater power."

"I can't really say what happened last night when I used those powers, but I began to crave the extremities of battle and death. I wanted to kill that man last night, and my body was acting on its own to carry out that urge. The more blood magic I used, the worse it became, but that wasn't all that happened. When I used it to heal the wounds we suffered, I began to feel weak, as if I was losing blood at a rapid pace. It seemed to anger the side of me that urged to kill, as if it was effecting him as much as it was effecting me. In fact, once I thought about it last night, I think it was the healing that gave me the strength to overpower that urge in the end."

Vaden's face showed no emotion, but Ata knew he was heaping on the confusion like dirt on a grave. He knew that none of his companions had ever experienced the company of an Arcanite before, and they were all the more uncomfortable because of it. Ata began to wonder if Silluin had suddenly wished he WAS just an ordinary mage, seeing now what an arcanist was capable of and just how different they truly were...or not, either way, he did not really care. He was just glad to see her and Vaden alive. He continued his explaination:

"When we returned to camp last night, the side of me that was still blood lusting was trying to overpower me again. He wasn't content with how things turned out last night, and wanted to go back and finish what it had started. I refused to allow it, and it argued with me. Strange as it sounds, I had an argument with myself. I don't really recall what happened toward the end, though when I awoke again, I had been stabbed with the Offering. Whatever caused me to do it, the Offering rid me of the blood lust and all my pain from the night before, and stranger yet, I didn't even receive a scratch. I have a feeling that my master gave it to me in hopes that if I should ever find myself in such a situation, that I could use it to cure the sacrifice of the blood igniter."

He sat silent on his horse now, allowing the info to sink in with the others. That had been a load for them to take in all at once, hell it had taken Atalisk a good 18 years of his life to learn most of everything he had just told them, albeit they weren't also trying to make arcana work, they were just trying to understand it a little better.

Before he could return to the conversation, they had reached the base of the falls. The bridge to the island in the center was made completely of stone, with torch pits ever lit on the ends. They would have to continue the rest of the venture on foot, it would be too dangerous to take the horses just yet, and he could send for the sanctuary's caretaker to retrieve them once they were safely situated inside. That was the most important detail: their safety.

"Vaden, if you can, tell the lady we must travel the rest of the venture on foot. When we reach the sanctuary, I'll send for the caretaker to bring them in. As for the rest of you," he began to shout so the others could hear, "we must dismount and continue on foot from here. The path up ahead is the only way into the village that doesn't involve carving our way through the Batoryan armies banded together outside the gates."

They walked to the center of the bridge, but were abruptly stopped by Ata. He turned to the group, with a look of utmost seriousness on his face.

"This gate is guarded by an arcanite creation known as the Mask of the Immortal. He is wise beyond his years, and is not slow to deal with those he feels are a threat to our city. Before we continue onward, I must ask that if any of you are indeed untrustworthy and have joined our little group just so you can access us easier, that you turn back before we reach the entrance."

After a slight pause, they continued to the end of the bridge, where Ata stopped them once more. After spitting on the ground, he pressed his hands to the earth and focused. Up out of the earth popped six silver medallions, all with the same emblem on them.

"These are called Trust Marks, and are to be worn at all times while you are inside the city. My master gave it to me before we left, and I was instructed that if I returned, that I show the Mask my emblem so as to let it know it is me. If you all wear my emblem, it will show the guardian that you are with me, and that you are no stranger. However, as I said before, should you be a traitor, the mark will not save you..."

Looking closer at the emblem, Ata remembered his master's cleverness. The emblem was two A's standing mirrored to each other, and a T like a sword sheathed in their crossbars. Clipping it like a broach to his cloak, Ata was the first to approach the Mask...

"My name is Atalisk Edenheart, apprentice to Master Odynitr Skywall. I bring with me my traveling companions, who seek shelter in the sanctuary. By the Xyr's unfailing heart, hear my words and suffer us passage!"

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  4. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "This one should fit you alright."

Geg caught the mail shirt the armourer threw at him and hefted the weight of the rings in one arm. “Nnngh” he grunted.

Stretching it out he rattled the mail, it was good work, and the rings were tight enough to move quietly but loose enough for flexibility.

Geg frowned at the colour, like steel with a hint of copper in it. “What metal is this?”

The armourer sucked his teeth and smiled. “A speciality of mine, it’s a mix, worked with magic, makes it strong and light, doesn’t rust either, see here?” The man stepped closer and folded one short sleeve to show the inside. “Lined with a couple of layers of silk, keeps it comfy and slows down anything that gets through, arrows and the like. Had a lot of good comments on those pieces, and you know what they say about armour, bad armour doesn’t get reviewed.” The man laughed at his own stupid comment then, but Geg focused on the shirt.

It would do, he didn’t like being weighed down but this would even things, he didn’t remember any of the group using heavy or blunt weapons, which would give him an edge. It would take a strong arm with good aim to stab through quality mail, a slash would just slide over it.

Geg checked his purse, only two small jewels left, likely this man charged more for a speciality. He had gone far too long without killing anyone, so he smiled in his head without letting it show.

“I’ll take it.”

“Excellent!” The fat man exclaimed and fetched his lock box.

Geg placed his cloth bundle on the table and began unwrapping it, meanwhile the armourer began to open the box.

A fold of cloth gave way to the glint of sharp steel. Geg fancied trying out his new axe.

A glance from the man made him frown. “I don’t take trade, its coin or nothing.”

Too late, Geg held the battleaxe with two hands right at the bottom and swung at the man’s face, but the lurch was too much. He felt the strain of his recovering body then and regretted exerting himself.

Instead of taking the man’s head off at the neck the axe-head caught him in the mouth. Whatever of his jaw wasn’t cleaved right off was shattered by the force. Blood and teeth smacked against the nearby wall, and instead of screaming the man gave out a loud wet gurgle and fell to the floor.

Geg lowered himself and looked into the man’s pained eyes with a smile on his face. Oh how he had missed the smell of blood! The tightening of a face in agony, or what was left of it in this case.

Before the man’s gurgling could rouse suspicions, Geg stood over the writhing man and drew the axe up high, bringing it down smack in the middle of his head, splitting it like a Melon.

He loved the act to be sure, but it was daytime in a city, and he had to be careful. Quickly he wiped the axe-head on the man’s back and put it back in the bundle along with his new mail shirt. While he was at it Geg raided the open lock box for gold. He closed the shutters and flipped the open sign to close and promptly left the establishment. Outside no one lingered or watched him for more than a passing moment.

Geg made his way down the street and over to the next without looking back, there he found his next destination, a fletcher.

Like the sword and the armour Geg had thought long and hard about the fight that would ensue with the fools that had crossed him and lived. And while they always lead to the inevitable glorious kill, he knew he needed every advantage. So far he had armour, he had the axe to smash down the first few strikes and the swift sword to finish with, but before the melee even ensued he could take down a few to begin with. Probably the magic users, and for that he needed a bow.

This time Geg left the shopkeeper alive, and parted with a good short horn horsebow and a bristling quiver, shorter range but easier to use and conceal. It went in the pack with the rest and Geg went down to the market to get dried travelling provisions, water and wine in skins for the road.

By the time he was done his bundle was almost big enough to need both arms to carry, especially in his weakened state. Geg pondered resting in the city once more, but after the armourer he couldn’t risk it.

He returned to the tanner and got back his travel clothing, it fitted well. He put on the mail shirt first and the coat over it, breeches and boots went on next and he fixed one of his new knives into the side. The sword-belt went back on over it with the long knife and one small one on his other hip. The last small knife went on at the back, out of sight. Finally he donned the leather bracers and greaves lined with small iron studs. Now he no longer looked the farmer, now he looked like himself, Mad Geg! And men would fear his name again.

He took the dark green cloak the man had given him and wrapped his axe, bow, arrows and provisions in it. Wearing a sword within a city was one thing, but going fully armed was another. Geg also didn’t intend to be caught with an axe in his hands after they’d found the armourer. His wounds were a dead giveaway.

Geg took a meal and a drink in the nearest tavern to fill his needs and then stole the best horse from its stable. He rode out the north gate of the city and back into the wild.

Back where he belonged.

5. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden and the others had been riding for a while now, the scenery was beautiful, but Vaden had other things on his mind. It was starting to bother him more and more that Atalisk had left that bastard alive. People like that one were separated into two types, those that cut their losses, and those that kept coming until they were dead, or you were. Remembering his brawl with the little bastard, it was clear he was probably going to be the second one.

Vaden could probably take the human, but it would be a long painful fight, and he had the feeling neither of them would walk away. He looked around at the others, they'd gained two bodies that the human likely didn't know about unless he had managed to track them, unlikely considering Atalisk's cage. Still, there was more to his concern than that, Atalisk had been acting very strangely last night, Vaden wanted to know what had happened.

He looked over to Silluin, she still wore her exhaustion on her face, but she looked a lot better than she had last night. She returned his glance, after a brief pause Vaden spoke, "Come on, it's time we learned a bit more about Atalisk." Silluin nodded and the two of them rode up next to the arcanist.

"I'm sorry to impose Ata, but I feel I must ask what was with you last night. There's something else you haven't been telling us, and if it is important like the last secret you kept I would hope you were preparing to inform us sometime before that happens again," said Vaden.

Atalisk quickly replied, explaining everything that had happened after he'd passed out yesterday, as well as everything he knew about the blood he'd used in his arcana. So that was what had affected him so. It was a good thing he'd gotten control of it, grappling with ones own demons rarely turned out well. Suddenly Atalisk changed the subject, they were close to their destination now, and they'd need to finish their journey on foot.

Vaden slowly dismounted, then helped Silluin down as well. He did this in a gentlemanly fashion, knowing she wouldn't accept the help if she thought he was doing it as anything other than a courtesy. Silluin was a tad headstrong, not that he could blame her. He had babied her a bit earlier, but she was every bit as tough as anyone else in the party, with any luck that wouldn't be necessary while she was traveling with him.

They made their way across the long bridge and then Atalisk stopped them and explained the nature of the tremendous statue that stood in their way. If anyone was something other than what they claimed to be, they would be destroyed by the behemoth. Vaden looked in awe at the giant statue that stood before them, bigger than anything he'd faced personally. As Atalisk presented them with their trust marks Vaden gladly accepted it. There was a time when Vaden's pride would have seen him deny such a thing, but that was before he learned how easily death could come. Vaden stared up at the statue as Atalisk asked for entry, this was going to prove very interesting...

6. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin was feeling better. Her strength was regaining quicker than she had estimated. Or at least that was what she thought. As soon as she dismounted the horse with Vaden's help, she began feeling light headed. She looked at him and said "I'll be passing out in about 5 seconds." And sure enough, she collapsed right there. Vaden caught her and carried her, receiving many strange looks.

While she was out, she had another vision:

There was a shadow lurking. No... it was not a shadow... it was a Grinner. It seemed to have more Grinner friends following. It looked her in the eyes and then pointed to an animal running toward her. The animal looked at her and winked. A cold chill ran down her body. It was no animal... it was that beast that tried to rape and kill her. It was stronger, prepared, and had revenge in it's eyes. She awoke and shouted

"He's after us!" almost making Vaden drop her. He sat her down and asked her what happened. She explained to all of them that it seemed as though the Grinners had the man on their side now. They were in grave danger. Silluin was shaking.

"I cannot go any further... I am hindering the traveling speed. I must rest another day though. I need food and sleep... I'm not okay. Ata, you're healing was amazing, and I thank you... but something is wrong with me, and I need to rest... You all might have to go without me. I'm making things more dangerous than need be." Silluin looked at Vaden, knowing he'd protest... But she was shaking with exhaustion, and they all knew they would either have to rest another day or leave her behind.

Silluin seemed to have caught on to common speak very quickly. Especially after she died. It was something she would not argue. Death does strange things... and the fact that she completely knew a language she couldn't speak two days prior to her death was no surprise to her.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Silluin awoke in his arms with a shock, "He's after us!" she shouted. Vaden had been so absorbed in looking up at the statue that he'd nearly dropped her. He caught himself and set her down, keeping a hand on her shoulder in case she started to fall. Silluin explained that she'd had a vision of the human from before running with a pack of Grinners. Some would dismiss this as a simple fever dream, but Vaden and Atalisk both knew Silluin was a seer, her visions were truth.

"I cannot go any further... I am hindering the traveling speed. I must rest another day though. I need food and sleep... I'm not okay. Ata, you're healing was amazing, and I thank you... but something is wrong with me, and I need to rest... You all might have to go without me. I'm making things more dangerous than need be," she said. Vaden was amazed at how fast she'd picked up the common tongue, but for the time being that was the least important concern on his mind.

There was no way in hell he was going to leave her behind, that much was certain. But at the same time it wouldn't do them much good to have to carry her all around the streets of the city, or even through the portals that led to it. She needed rest, otherwise, as much as he hated to admit it, she would be something of a burden within the city.

Vaden looked over their surroundings, the bridge would be easily defensible, only one way across, and it was relatively narrow. If the human chose to come across there's be no sneaking up on them. Add to that that there was plenty of terrain that could act as cover to hide them from sight and it wouldn't be much trouble holding the line against the tough bastard. The Grinners would be a problem if they chose to come this way, he'd need some method of holding them off, he looked at the statue guardian, hopefully his aid could be enlisted if they faced any trouble tonight. Still, Vaden was going to want some backup.

Atalisk was out of the question, he'd need to make arrangements for them within the city. Vaden looked to Artix, the big swordsman would be undoubtedly the first one there he'd want to have his back, but a lack of ranged weapon meant he wouldn't do much good at any range Vaden couldn't cover himself. It was between Thorn and Aerwindur. The Rohan rider had several weapons, namely a bow, that could help out, and unlike Thorn he was uninjured. However Vaden had a feling if anything happened, Thorn's magical prowess would come in a lot more handy than an arrow or two at a time considering their foes.

"Atalisk, you take Artix and Aerwindur into the city, get things set up, lodgings, locations of equipment, access to the book you'll be needing all of that. Thorn and myself will stay with Silluin here for the night. Tomorrow you come back and get us. If Silluin still isn't feeling fully up to traveling I can carry her to wherever we'll be staying a lot easier if we aren't still trying to find it," Vaden said, much to the surprise of everyone. It seemed like a bit of a half baked plan, but only Atalisk openly protested.

"That's crazy, we're at the edge of the city, we can't break off from each other now!" said the arcanist.

Vaden knew he was right, luckily he had another idea, "Then get together a group of friends from the city. People you know you can trust. Once you have a place lined up for us to stay bring them out and they can help me carry her in." Vaden said this firmly, he wasn't going to force Silluin to move again until until they had a definite place for her to rest. Not to mention he could still use some rest himself. Atalisk saw there was no use trying to reason with Vaden, the stubborn bastard wasn't going to budge.

"Fine, if your heart is set on resting..." Atalisk sighed, "I'll see you in a few hours."

Vaden nodded, luckily Thorn decided to stay with them. He didn't give a reason why, but Vaden had a feeling the quiet elf mage was worried about Silluin as well. Whatever the reason Vaden would be glad to have the backup, hopefully he wouldn't need it. He sat down next to Silluin, she thanked him quietly, Vaden only smirked slightly. Soon enough Atalisk and the others were inside, leaving the three of them sitting around waiting. Vaden wondered why he'd decided to allow this, but looking at Silluin who stared at the ground he figured he'd made the right decision. Or at least, he hoped he had.

8. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The statue stood cold and still, an awe-inspiring structure if there ever was one. The ivory column stood around twenty feet, ending in a flat, leveled top. Around the pillar, decorated rivers of gold and silver twisted and crossed, radiant and beautiful as they rose all the way up from the base. The mask was carved of a similar stone, though it was much more impressive. The eyes were clear, colorless orbs that reflected a darkness that only the night itself could bring. They were without a doubt the most intimidating part of the entire mask, not just because of their emptiness, but because of what they were used for. You could always tell when the mask was listening to you, because the orbs would fill with water from the streams around the island. The eyes were active when the water entered them, and from there on, your mind, your heart, your very soul was his to read. There was no secret you could hide from him once you'd come this far, and if there was something you'd rather kept secret, it was a mistake to approach him. His power far exceeded knowledge, which for them was just as well...

Not long after Ata had his say, the orbs began to fill up and shine with a weak glow. Upon finding its voice, which thundered off the falls and echoed clear as a bell, the mask spoke to him:

"Recognized as - Citizen. Citizen: Edenheart, Atalisk. Occupation: Apprentice Arcanite."

"You alone were approved by citizen Odynitr Skywall exactly 25 days ago. I shall now evaluate your companions for entry. Should they fail, I will be forced to close my gates to you."

Xyr save anyone that failed his test...Ata would have them in pieces.

The statue's eyes began pulsating, meaning that he had begun his process of searching them. He held his breath as the scanning came to a close.

After what felt like hours, the mouth of the mask slid open, revealing a long dark tunnel that showed no end in sight. They had all passed the mask's test. Ata allowed himself to breathe again.

Before he could move, however, he heard a shout from behind:

"He's after us!"

Turning on the spot, he saw that it was Silluin who had spoken. She had come to, and not a moment too soon...

She had a vision about the grinner, and the bastard from the night before. No surprise to Ata, the grinner allowed him to live, only because he promised to make Ata suffer. The track had allowed him to see through the creeps eyes from time to time...and what he saw made him regret his decision. He saw the grinner, then some farmer, then a bloody mess, then he was in a town...Ata knew he'd seen the farmer a bloody mess, so there was no question about that, nor the encounter with the grinner, but the town was something he wasn't sure about. If his assumption was correct, the man had left southwest from their current location, which meant he had gone in the opposite direction of them, probably to find a healer. Would anyone truly heal that monster? Only time would tell...

Ata's focus snapped back as Vaden told him the plan from here. He didn't like anything about it, if those things were definitely after them, these three didn't stand a chance on their own. After recieving another plan, however, Ata knew he could not win. He didn't like it, but things weren't going to go his way even if he tried to force it. He'd have to get help...

Ata and the others dashed inside the tunnel, where the light quickly disappeared. Spitting on his fingers, Ata made a makeshift torch using his arcana through his fingers. He knew they could not continue with him from here just yet, he would be fine on his own in the city, the others were needed elsewhere. He stopped dead in his tracks, and turned to the others:

"I want you two to stay in this tunnel and wait for my friend. If he's still here, I'll send him your way. His name is Horace Grimlocke, he's strange at times but his sense of justice is unmatched. If-"

"Wait, Vaden told us to come with you! We can't just ab-" Artix was cut off

"There is no time to argue this! I know this city better than most of its inhabitants! I'll check in with the sanctuary, and once I get clearance, Horace will be coming to bring the girl up. If he's not there, I'll come back myself and take care of it. Right now, though, you two are needed with the others, and if that bastard we fought last night returns you can get the jump on him, he doesn't know you're with us! Now go!"

The two had a look of frustration on their faces, but they complied and took off to wait toward the end of the tunnel. It was better if he was alone, less chance the Leviathan would wake up...

He wound his way around a few corners, trudging through the liquids coursing through the pipelines. Keeping a mental picture in his head of the city, Ata realized he was only two more turns away from the sanctuary. Before he knew it, the ladder he was looking for was in plain sight. He shot up the first few rungs and opened the trap door above, thrusting himself into the sanctuary's lower works. The air was a deal better here, despite being in a musky basement, as Ata took a lung-full. He zipped up the stairs, bursting through two rooms, and finally reaching the dining area, where everyone was currently tucking into dinner.

Everyone looked up in surprise at the man who had just interrupted their quiet dinner. The man at the end of the table, known as Father Candorel, rose from his seat to inspect the intruder. The man stood shorter than most people, completely bald and shaven, his pudgy face scrunched up with focus. Recognizing who it was, he smiled widely and rushed to meet him:

"Ata, my dear boy! We've been expecting your return for days now! How was Caedorn, did Master Ody-" he began, as Ata cut acrossed him with sudden force

"My apologies father, but I cannot explain things just yet. Is Horace still here?"

"Why, yes indeed. The brute is enjoying his meal in his room as always, but thats beside the point. Is something wrong Ata? Where's Master Skywall?"

Ata fought back the memory of his master as he struggled to find a solution around his predicament.

"Something is indeed wrong, Father Candorel. I have a wounded lady at the base of the cliffs ("Dear heavens!") and we're being pursued by something I can't quite explain. I came alone to request that they be brought here to stay. Would it be alright?"

"My boy, you know as well as I do the answer to that question! By all means, bring them up, bring them up! You three men, put your forks down and help the boy!" Father Candorel said in a hurry as he rushed off to alert the nurses.

After shouting a word of thanks to the generous man and the others that were off to find the group, Ata took off like lightning again amongst the anxious faces of the children at the table. Rushing straight to Horace's room, he kicked down the door and ducked just in time to dodge a knife that had been sent flying his direction amidst a loud bellow:

"THE DEVIL WITH YE MONSTER! AND DURING ME SUPPER!!"

"Horace, its me! Ata!" he said, regaining his feet in time to stop his friend from tearing him apart.

The dwarf looked at the boy with a look of distrust, then quick as lighting, he had him up in a bear hug.

"Oy lad! Gave me quite a scare, thar! What the 'ell are ya doin' bustin' down doors and the like at this time o' nigh? Made me spill meh drink, yeh did!" The dwarf exclaimed with a hearty laugh.

"I wish I could explain, but I'll have to do that after we're finished. Listen, could you do me a quick favor?" Ata said, breaking himself free of the dwarf's backbreaking hug.

"Nuthin' illegal, I hope?" the dwarf said with a playful grunt, staring at him accusingly.

"No! Horace, I need you to head down into the pipelines beneath this sanctuary and head to the entrance at the falls. There's an elf lady there with two of my other companions. Something is wrong with her, and she needs to be brought into the sanctuary immediately. The two in the entrance pipe are also companions of mine, so don't hurt them either."

"Sumthin' wrong with the elf lass? Wouldn' happ'n ter be whatever's already wrong with 'er kind, would it?" Grimlocke said with a snort

"Hey, none of that! She's done nothing wrong by you, so keep it civil, and I mean it! Besides, if you're lucky enough, the bastards that have been following us the past two days will have shown up, you can have some fun with them!"

"Oy come now, Ata, yeh know I wuz kiddin' 'bout that stuff! Now if she happened to be an orc..."

"Oh and don't knock orcs in front of her either Wildaxe, if you piss her off I won't be held accountable for what she does to you!" He said with a shout as Grimlocke lugged his big battle axe onto his shoulders with one hand, while prying the knife from the wall opposite the door with his other one.

"Yeh yeh, I'll be a "genterman", or wha'ever tha 'ell it's called. Keep me mouth shut, promise!" the dwarf called, as he rushed off to the basement to enter the pipelines.

Ata hoped he and the other men could help her up here...those Grinners would not keep their distance long, especially if Ata returned to the sanctuary. They'd need hostages to draw him out, and what better way then the girl he swore to protect...

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Adelas plucked at his lute before the fire, in the darkening evening it seemed the world shrank leaving only their small circle of light.

Jalynn smiled, she loved being on the road, adventuring, the freedom and excitement was something you couldn’t find anywhere else. And to sleep beneath he stars! Oh how much she loved it.

No time did she love more than beside the camp in the night with Adelas and Kelm, Adelas playing sweet songs that echoed in the firelight, Kelm roasting whatever game he had scrounged over the fire.

“Should be about ready.” Kelm uttered, just then a rustle came from the forest, they all went for their weapons, veterans of night raids by orcs.

For one shuddering moment they all stood still, statues bathed in firelight, eventually the rustling gave way to a horse and rider who slowly ambled into their view.

Jalynn sheathed her sword, but Kelm kept his bow ready.

“Hail traveller!” Adelas began. “What brings you to our fire this night?”

“The smell of good food.” The rider said dryly, he was a small man sat n his saddle, but well armed, there was something about his tone, he spoke with tension. Jalynn dismissed it, she had fought a lot of battles, a lot of old soldiers ended up the same, quiet and hesitant. They had seen too much.

“I have wine to offer in exchange for some of that deer!” He said dismounting, offering a skin to them.

Adelas smiled “We’re not ones to deny a fellow traveller the warmth of our fire, come! You can share our camp tonight.” He took back up the lute and started to play, Kelm was less eager but still put his bow away.

“Tell us stranger, what brings you to these woods.”

The newcomer sat silent for a moment before speaking. “Going north, looking for work and the like.”

“Hmm” Adelas hummed. “We’re going cave crawling westward come daybreak, one of the more infested ones, there’s supposed to be good loot, and we could use a fourth.” He looked askance at the others, Kelm gave an accepting grunt, Jalynn took a while to consider it. They’d just met the man, but from the weapons he had he was surely a good fighter, and they could use one if the stories of the caves were true.

She nodded.

The stranger took a gulp of wine and passed it over to Adelas, who drank happily. Kelm had begun cutting slices of meat off the deer leg.

“Names Geg” The newcomer said solemnly, afterwards they drank and talked for a good few hours before going to their blankets, Geg was quiet for much of the time.

Jalynn didn’t think much of it at the time, they had more time to get to know the new traveller in the morning.

A horse whinnied, bringing Jalynn back to the world of the waking, the sky was the dark blue that came before dawn, she smelled something burning, surely Kelm had taken the meat off the fire?

An iron hand wrapped round her throat and she was dragged up to her feet and thrown against the nearest tree. Between the struggles from breath and fighting at the hand she saw Geg’s face before her, smiling with a wide grin. Her heart fell with anguish.

He punched her in the belly taking the wind out of her and she slumped down to the ground. With a bloody knife he began to cut at her clothes but Jalynn didn’t notice, her eyes were fixed on the rest of the camp, Adelas was on the floor, eyes pale in death’s sleep, blood puddle where his throat had been cut so deep the wound was like some terrible maw. She could only assume the burning black thing in the fire was Kelm, an axe buried in his back.

Oh gods!

The madman held up her face and traced his knife along her cheek, Jalynn could hardily feel it, everything happened so quick, surely it was a nightmare, oh sweet gods it couldn’t be true!

Just then another figure entered her peripheral view, she couldn’t make it out but it was pale, and smiling, the madman stopped his actions and looked to it.

“What do you want.” He said, a tone full of wickedness and fire that had not been there the night before.

“Were you not after the arcanite?”

“Yes” He grunted, “I’m looking for their trail.”

“You can find it to the north if you follow the path there, it will lead you to a waterfall.”

The man grunted and the figure beyond her sight seemed to turn to her and her dead companions. All she could make out were the teeth. A tongue flashed over them.

The madman laughed. “Eat your fill, this one is mine however.”

A fist hit her in the head and the world dulled to only dim feeling, she felt more cuts, cold air against her skin and then the man defiling her, her distant mouth screamed and her eyes streamed with tears. She felt teeth digging into her back.

10. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden felt a chill run up his spine, seeing that there was no one and nothing nearby that would do them harm, he dismissed it. Nothing he could do. He looked at Silluin, she'd fallen asleep again shortly after Atalisk, Artix, and Aerwindur had disappeared into the statue. Vaden had placed his cloak over her, and seeing how her body seemed to melt into the shadows cast by the sun he smirked. At least it worked, he had a feeling it would be vital when the bastard caught up with them again.

It was strange being this worried about one man, even though he was in the company of those things. Vaden remembered the fight, he'd been reckless, hasty, and worst yet he'd fought that bastard on his terms. Next time Vaden was going to have to be smarter. Find a way to offset the human, cloud his vision. He reveled in pain, of himself and others, there would be no temptation to torture the bastard, Vaden would go for the kill. Atalisk was the only one who'd had any other exposure to the man, he'd need to ask the arcanist if he'd noticed anything that had set the human off.

For the first time thinking of that bastard Vaden smirked, the human was damn tough, but if Vaden could make him angry, he'd make a hell of a lot of mistakes. Vaden knew he'd be more agile, but that wasn't going to be enough, this fight was going to require every trick he'd learned on the steppes. Vaden continued to think things over, with any luck he wouldn't need to fight the bastard alone, but either way, he'd have a few tricks in store.

He didn't get much more time to think it over, soon they were joined by three fairly well dressed men who all came out of the statue carrying a cot, probably for the girl. Vaden stood, the men all quickly explained themselves, the elf noticed Artix and Aerwindur were with them, Ata must not have needed the backup. Vaden woke Silluin, "Well, we're moving again, I think you aught to be a bit awake when we meet whoever's putting us up."

She looked at him groggily, but nodded her understanding as he picked her up again. Vaden recalled that she was still going to need new clothes, so he left her bundled in his cloak along with Atalisk's robes. He set her down carefully on the cot that was hoisted up by two of the men, before they'd gotten far out of the statue like a bat out of hell was the stocky form of a well armed and wild eyed dwarf.

Vaden moved to the front of the group when he saw that none of the men wanted to move in his presence, they were all more than a bit nervous. Vaden stared down the dwarf curiously, but at ease. "Master dwarf you seem to make these humans quiver. Pardon me for not doing the same, but I believe it would be a hollow gesture for me to do so if I know nothing about you. My name is Vaden Keeneyes, tell me, what am I to call you?"

Vaden said his name without thinking of how dangerous that could be. He had made a bit of trouble in a large powerful city a few years back. But he shrugged it off, no one reacted. He guessed the Stranger had been right, he had been forgotten, this was one of the rare times that wouldn't disappoint him. The dwarf looked him over, then snorted, "Well mister Vaden Keeneyes, I'm Horace Grimlocke, and I was sent by Atalisk. He said there'd be some fighting though, did I miss the action?"

Vaden smirked, "I'm afraid master dwarf that there has been no fighting. Perhaps our enemies sensed you coming and fled in terror?" The dwarf chuckled, Vaden wasn't like most elves. He didn't have a problem talking up to members of races his people had harbored ill will toward for so long. Then again he supposed he couldn't call them his people. Aside from the very early years of his life he'd never lived among elves in anything more than a traveling company. That didn't matter, whatever the reason for his politeness the dwarf seemed to appreciate the remark and led them back into the city.

Vaden made sure to walk along side the cot, not letting Silluin out of his sight. The men carrying the cot were probably forming all sorts of assumptions for the reason behind this, but it made little difference to Vaden. They could think what they wanted, they were helping him out, and for that he was grateful. The elf kind of wished he could walk at the front of the party with the dwarf though. He seemed to be telling all manner of stories, Vaden liked dwarf stories, they always tended to be about something wild and amusing. But looking at Silluin he knew for the time being his place was at her side.

Finally they entered the large dining chamber where they were all offered hot meals, something Vaden and the others weren't about to turn down. The elf took his with some delay however, Silluin had passed out again and was taken to her room, a place Vaden insisted on checking himself, and making sure he knew the path to. Once that was out of the way he joined the others in the dining hall. Atalisk would be joining them soon enough, and then they could start to get things sorted out.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  11. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Nice, Artix thought a nice hot meal. Artix and the others entered the dinning hall and were all served their food. Artix happily dug into the food, while Vaden followed their hosts to the room that Silluin would be kept in. She had passed out again, and needed to rest.

After checking on Silluin, Vaden joined them in the dining hall where they disscussed what had happened while seperated. Artix learned more about this man called Geg.

Wow, even worse than I imagined. This guy was gruesome. Artix shook his head and tried to focus on eating. What would happen if they met this man again? Artix wondered to himself if he was stronger than the man. The only way to really know was to meet the man in battle. He had confidence in himself, but this guy seemed more powerful than any opponent he had ever faced before. Inhuman almost. But, again, there was only one way to find out...

Atalisk would be showing up pretty soon. Then their group would all be together again. It seemed like whenever they finally regrouped, something else came up, so that they became seperated. It was sort of agrivating, but Artix couldn't really complain. It was better than doing nothing all day but getting drunk. Real fights were better than bar fights. Or at least he thought so.

12. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Thorn sat down next to Vaden and the sleeping Silluin, surveying he surroundings, looking for anything that might cause his companions harm. These people were the closest things to friends he had had in awhile, and he'd be damned if anything happened to them. Something still made him uneasy, though.Damn statue.he thought. He didnt like the idea of someone or something knowing everything about him, but that wasn't going to change the ominous sentry standing guard to the city. He began to pace.

"That does it." he muttered. "Im sick of this damn back." He concentrated on the slash for a bit, and he felt the cold healing powers at work. Soon all that was left of the wound was a scar. A noise from behind made him jump. He turned to see three men bearing a stretcher, followed by Artix and Aerwindur. Atalisk, however, was nowhere to be seen. Bringing up the rear was a dwarf, armed to the teeth. As Silluin was being loaded onto the stretcher, Thorn listened to the dwarf, (Horace), and Vaden speak. When they were finished, Thorn approached.

"Greetings dwarf, my name is Thorn Nightstalker."
    "Ello there! Wot another elf? Seems like we're bein overrun! Horace replied gaily.

Thorn liked him already. On the way through the tunnel he listened to the dwarf's stories. When they arrived in the dining hall, Thorn was dumbfounded. It was beautiful. Leaning over to Artix, Thorn muttered." Hm, places like this make me uncomfortable as hell."

Glancing around, Thorn still didnt see Ata. He was beginning to get worried, but all the anxiety disappeared when he began to eat, It was delicious. He stuffed his face for the first time in many days.

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    “Please” Was all she said, over and over, the screams and the tears had passed during their travel, now all Geg heard from her was the crushing torment, the broken soul. Each word made him smile as he lead the horses onwards.

It had been a good job, normally he would have followed that group and robbed them after they’d looted the caves, but he had a purpose now, he could resume murdering adventurers after it was done.

The fight in the early morning had been short and sweet, the one on watch fell silently into the fire, his heart cleaved in two by the axe, the other bled while he woke to the smell of his burning friend. And the woman, there was a sweet peace indeed, which was one reason why he kept her alive.

The profits too had been good, he’d taken their horses, increasing his speed with the spare mounts. He’d gotten more gold, spare arrows from one, rope, a wooden shield, he’d even taken a couple of their weapons just in case, strapping all the spare goods to the spare mounts.

But he still ached with fury that the bitch and her whelps still breathed, oh how it burned!

The anger got to him, and he drew in the mount he’d strapped the woman to, with a closed fist he winded her with his anger and rode on.

When he sighted the waterfall the grinner had mentioned he stopped to gag the woman, if the thing was right they sheltered in some impenetrable hideout behind the curtain, but they’d have to return across the bridge.

The hours that passed before he reached the waterfall were filled with yearning and aching, all for the crushing ruin he would bestow upon his enemies, their crimson blood trailing through the air, the pungent aroma of their own filth spilled in fear.

It would be soon, Geg could feel it in his loins!

Silently he tied his horses to the trees about half a league from the riverbank where the bridge landed, with his new sword in hand he stalked the rest of the way silently through the trees towards the edge and there he saw something that made him smile.

Their horses.

Clearly they’d left them there while they crossed the bridge, and whether it was an hour or a day they’d surely return for them.

Geg spied across the stone bridge, he couldn’t see anything moving on the far side, all to his advantage.

This was it, this is where they’d die, this would be holy ground!

He strode out from under the cover of the tree-line towards the grouped horses, there were six, Geg noted, making him glad he’d stocked up on arms. Over he went sword in hand, slowly as not to scare them, a few whinnied and stepped back almost expecting him.

Geg plunged the tip of his sword through the throat of the nearest one, a red torrent gushed out, its warmth splashing across his chest. The beast thrashed, and groaned before falling. Geg making sure he was out of its way.

At the smell of blood and death the horses began to spook, a few rushed off into the wild, Geg managed to down one more before the rest escaped.

Now they played in his terms.

He rushed back to where he’d tied up his mounts, he moved the rest of his gear over to the one that held the woman and brought it closer to the waters edge. He tied it to a tree about fifty yards from the bridge, if worst came to worst it was his way out. Geg didn’t intend to flee, but against six he’d have to push every advantage, especially if he failed to down enough before they escaped the bottleneck of the bridge.

Then, meticulously he scouted the ground around the mouth of the bridge, noting each and every tree, bush, scouting every dip in the turf and noting the cliff face. This was his battleground.

At several different points, hidden and covered from view of anyone on the bridge he stabbed a bundle of arrows into the ground, and sometimes one of the spare swords he had taken from the camp, fallback positions.

Then finally he brought out his greatest weapon.

He was glad of the gag as he dragged the woman through the woods, she groaned at every stick that dug into her, here eyes closing tight each time. She still felt pain, not fully broken and that was perfect.

Eventually he got to the bridge, and with the rope he’d stolen he lashed her arms to the torches at either side of the bridge, the rest of her body dangled as the ropes held her arms taut, it would be painful the longer she was left there.

Geg casually walked over to the torch, and held one of his knives in the flame for a while, until is glowed blood red. When the bitch caught sight of it her muffled screams were desperate but it wouldn’t help, nothing could save her now.

The blade went in, burning as it cut, there was little blood but the smell of burning fat and the sound of muffled screams was enough for Geg. In the knife went, deep into her legs, leaving horrible blackened gashes.

Then he took another knife, this time cold and put a cut in her back, just in the right place, opening her kidney. With the hot knife he cauterised that wound too. She’d bleed inside slowly, he doubted she’d live longer than a day but the wounds in her leg meant up until the very end she’d be in pain.

He took out her gag and let her scream to high heaven, the smell of burnt flesh and horse’s blood was thick in the air, Geg vanished back into the tree line, hid himself with a good view of the bridge and took up his bow.

This was where they died!

14. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Ata was sitting on the bed now, staring at the food his friend had left behind. The articles would be cold before Horace would return...Ata felt slightly guilty about this. Dipping his fingers in a goblet of water, he grabbed the corner of the plate, focused his arcana, and the food began to steam with heat once more. There, one less thing to feel guilty for.

He began to think about what he saw earlier, the man leaving the town, then his connection completely severed. The track gave earlier than he hoped, but at least he knew that the bastard was indeed healed. They were in the sanctuary now, and their trail was colder than snow, they had nothing to fear for the moment. Still, there was a feeling of dread in his heart...was it the man? Was it Silluin? Was it the Grinners? It could be any of them really...

He wondered if the others were at supper by now. He heard Grimlocke and the crew's voices not too long ago, and they sounded fine, so he decided not to go check on them. Surely after all this time without a decent meal, the others would be eating Ata out of house and home, but he didn't care. They were all doing ok, and that was what mattered.

Feeling safe for the first time in what felt like an eternity, Ata laid down on the bed and ran his fingers over the handle of the Offering. What did Odynitr want him to do with this thing? More importantly, why would the Grinners want it? It seemed to be meant for Arcanites, so what good would the item do a bunch of murderous shambles? There was no sharp edge to the blade, completely rounded and flat all around. They couldn't kill with it...

Before he could ponder it further, the door burst open as his dwarf friend came barging into the room, booming with laughter:

"-Aye! And it only took three swings! Heh heh heh...", as the door closed behind him.

"Nappin' in my room, are ye?"

Ata sat up, staring back at the half-drunk dwarf with a look of curiosity:

"Yeah, wasn't expecting you to come back alive. Figured I'd steal it all for myself!", he said with a grin.

"Oy, those bunch o' softies? Yeh didn't tell me yeh wuz travlin' with a group of elves! Even more surprisin', they aren' half bad to boot. Startin' ter wonder if I didn' faller sleep while I wuz drinkin'." he chuckled, grabbing his plate up and moving back towards the door.

"Come on 'n join us 'n tha hall, lad. Jus' got done tellin' em about tha time Skywall 'n I were-

Now he knew where that feeling of dread had come from; it was from thinking about his master. He'd come home without him, soon enough he knew he'd have to tell everyone, he just didn't know how he would do it. Even worse, how would everyone react to it? He had been like a father to everyone here, especially to Ata. He knew it was only a matter of time before it finally sunk in, and he didn't like knowing what it would be like. Surely the others would be just as heartbroken...

-'ey! Are yeh listenin' ter me, lad?"

Ata snapped out of his thoughts quickly at the sound of Grimlocke's question. He knew the dwarf would take it especially hard; the two of them had a long history together. Between Grimlocke and Odynitr over the many years, they'd nearly wiped the area clean of Grinners, demons, invading orcs, etc. They were both technically legends around these parts, treated like heroes everywhere they went. The dwarf would never accept that the great arcanite, who'd overcome some of the worst situations this world could throw at him, was now dead, playing the role of snack for the horde of hungry Grinners that were surely scaling every mountain, combing every forest, fishing every ocean for Ata and the Offering. He'd save it until he asked him...no sense upsetting him so soon after he'd returned.

"Yes, sorry Wildaxe, still thinking about the trip here...we had one hell of a psycho attack us. It's a long story..."

"Well, perhaps you could tell us this story over a nice plate o' dinner. Everyone's waitin' fer yeh in tha dinin' hall-"

The dwarf sat silent for a moment...clearly thinking about something hard...

Placing his plate back on the the bed, he shouldered his axe and moved toward the door, only stopping when Ata asked where he was going:

"I'ma gointer go an' get them horses o' yers. Go ahead ter tah mess hall, I'll catch up with yer lat'r!"

With that, the door closed, as Ata began to rise from the bed and make his way toward the Dining Hall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a cold chill running up his spine now. The dwarf couldn't explain it, but he had a bad feeling about the horses. He had ties with animals that no one could truly explain, and although he only caught a glimpse of them while he was down earlier, he knew that one of them was the horse of the elf lady.

He'd reached the entrance in no time flat; he knew these pipelines better than anyone in the whole city. As the gate opened, the dwarf heard a noise coming from out in the nearby woods. Strange, he thought, the rapids are loud enough to deafen someone if they stood around long enough, so what could that noise possibly be? He exited the statue and stopped in his tracks as he caught sight of the thing that was making the noise. A woman was held tight by ropes that were tied to both sides of the bridge, her posture suggesting that she was in extreme pain. Grimlocke took his axe in both hands, and prepared himself for the worst. He'd seen things like this: small children, innocent creatures, the like tied and left for dead. There was something wrong here though...that girl was not here the last time they had been here, and she did not look to be one of their group. At that instant, Grim knew exactly what he was looking at:

Bait.

He took a quick whiff of the air, hoping to catch the scent of some unknown person. He smelled blood...animal blood...burning flesh...

He gripped his axe tightly, scanning the area with his powerful eyes. There was no sight of anyone, save the girl, though he spotted something on the far bank of the rapids that he could only assume was the animal that had been attacked. Knowing he would be best to stay put near the entrance, Grimlocke let out a yell that would remind the others of the statue:

"YER CRAFTY ALRIGH', BUT YER !@#$IN' SLOPPY WHOEVER YEH ARE!!"

He stood still in the dark night, the only sound now was the girl's continued screams and the fading echo of the dwarf's voice. Surely that bastard wouldn't be THAT sloppy to reveal himself, but in case he was, Grim was prepared for an ambush. Whoever was out there wasn't an amateur, but he highly doubted that they were expecting him!

"Le's see wha' yer made of..."

15. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Thorn was just beginning to get comfortable when he heard a yell. Motioning for everyone to be silent, he began to listen intently. Thorn had extremly good hearing, even for an elf, and he soon heard the voice of the dwarf. "YER CRAFTY ALRIGH', BUT YER !@#$IN' SLOPPY WHOEVER YEH ARE!!"

"Uh-oh." Thorn turned to his companions. "I think we might have company at the gates." Everyone looked at him curiously for a moment, untill Thorn gave an exasperated sigh. "That crazy bastard who stuck a knife in my back?" Artix, Vaden, and Aerwindur immediatly rose from the seats, but Thorn motioned them down. Demanding silence once more, Thorn sunk into a sleep-like trance. He felt himself rising out of his body, and, sure enough, when he looked down, he saw everyone looking at his body with a curious expression.

He turned his spirit form towards the door and floated out. He made his way down to the bridge, and was greeted by a gruesome site. There was a woman, hands bound, between two torches. She was bleeding profusely from her leg and back. Thorn looked around, but all he saw was the dwarf standing near the bridge, brandishing his axe. The elf mage floated around the area, but saw no one. The group's horses were gone however, and there was a fairly fresh bloodstain where they had been left. Thorn had to assume the worst.

He flew back into the dining hall soul and vessel rejoining with a jolt. A few people began to shake him, but all he needed was a moment's rest. When he was recovered, he spoke:

"Our horses are dead, and a woman is tied on the bridge, bleeding everywhere. Horace is down there. I'm afraid its Grinners or Geg, but hopefully the latter. We may be in for a fight"

16. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Artix was already done with his meal, when from outside a call was heard. "YER CRAFTY ALRIGH', BUT YER !@#$IN' SLOPPY WHOEVER YEH ARE!!"

"What the hell was that?" Artix yelled out.

"Uh-oh." Thorn said, turning to him and the others. "I think we might have company at the gates."

Artix nodded. Yep. "That crazy bastard who stuck a knife in my back?" and yep again.

Artix, the Rohirrim, and Vaden all rose in unsision, ready to brandish their weapons. But Thorn motioned them down. They remained standing, but understood that the elf had something up his sleeve. Thorn seemed to fall asleep slowly. "Huh?" Artix asked, never having seen such a spell before.

"He took his spirit out of his body. Now his body is only an empty shell. His spirit is flying through the air as we speak." Vaden explained.

That made sense. I guess.

Suddenly, Thorn's spirit was back in his body. His body jolted up and started to twitch silently. Artix shook him, and Thorn came back to his bodies senses.

Suddenly, Thorn's spirit was back in his body. His body jolted up and started to twitch silently. Artix shook him, and Thorn came back to his bodies senses.

So... I finally get to meet the notorious bastard. Artix thought to himself.

Artix stood up and brandished his sword. "Well men. It looks like its time for a fight." Artix smiled. He might enjoy this....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden sighed as he got to his feet, "I beg the pardon of our noble hosts, but it seems that an unwelcome guest has been dragged to your doorstep through our folly. Please excuse myself and my comrades as we take steps to rectify our mistake." With that he led the others back through the way that they'd come. Vaden didn't like rushing into another fight with this human while they were so ill prepared, but he couldn't let the dwarf fight that tough bastard alone. The human would have planned to fight an army, it wasn't likely the dwarf could take him alone.

"Thorn, I want you to stay here. If you want to be a help in the upcoming battle give me a shot of healing for the holes in my belly and leg and then cast some light protective spells on myself Artix and Aerwindur. We're going to need it," Thorn looked like he was about to protest, but the look in Vaden's eyes told him that doing so would yield no results. He did as told, the spell armor wouldn't last for too long, but it would help in the early runnings of the battle.

As Vaden led Artix, and Aerwindur he took comfort in only one thing, Silluin would be away from this battle. As a result he didn't have to worry about her any more than he would have if the human hadn't caught up to them yet. "Do you have any sort of plan?" asked Artix as they quickly made their way back to the outside.

Vaden felt the slight bumps in his pockets, he'd wanted more time to gear up, but he guessed they would have to do. "Not at all," said Vaden. "Just watch for traps and arrows and be ready for the worst. If it is that human from before he may be a small man, but he fights like the devil. Horace may be a veteran and a battle hungry dwarf, but he doesn't know what to expect. As such, he's going to need help."

As they exited through the way they'd come Vaden drew his swords. He could hear the screams of anguish from across the bridge, the woman who was tied there. Vaden sighed, he couldn't just leave her like that, but that human wouldn't have tied her there unless he had a way to attack them if they tried to help her. Vaden looked at his comrades, unlike him each of them wore a decent amount of armor.

"I'm going to go across, and I won't be stopping, hopefully I'll be able to flush the bastard out and we won't need to worry about him picking anyone off. Once I'm across Artix, you come. If he's done anything to reveal his position then cut the girl down all the way, if not, just cut a few of her bonds, but don't waste any time. When Artix is across, Aerwindur you come, cut the girl loose the rest of the way and bring her back here if we've found the human, if we haven't pass her by, noble rescue attempts won't do much good if you both end up dying. Understood?" Vaden said. Both of them nodded, Vaden returned the nod and began his dash.

Vaden was fast, damn fast, and he could keep up a good paced run for a long while. However speed wasn't what he was worried about. Horace hadn't found the human yet, wherever the bastard was he was still hidden, that wasn't a good thing. Vaden only hoped the human recognized him, and couldn't keep his feelings of vengeance in check. If he couldn't do that the human would reveal himself by attacking. Odds were Vaden could avoid it, and even if he couldn't avoid it all the way it would probably reveal the human to the dwarf, which would be consolation enough for Vaden.

Vaden passed the crying woman without breaking his gaze ahead. It would be hard for most to ignore her cries of pain, but Vaden had seen much worse things in the past. He'd been a raider, and that period had hardened him enough that the cries of a stranger couldn't distract him during a time like this. As he continued things looked less and less good. He'd never actually wished someone would shoot at him before, but as he reached the other side of the bridge he found himself overwhelmed with dread as the human hadn't fired a single shot.

Clever bastard was going to wait until he got a better shot. Unfortunately for him, Vaden wasn't going to give him one. As he reached the woods he seemed to disappear into the brush. He'd taken his cloak back from Silluin just as they set up her room, he was going to need it for this fight. The properties of the cloak would make him much harder to see, and hear, in the woods. While the human would still have a chance of finding him, the fact that the son of a bitch didn't know what to look for to identify the cloak of shadows gave Vaden something of an edge. Not to mention the human would need to focus on everyone else that was trying to hunt him. Either way, this was going to be damn rough.

18. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The halls seemed eerily silent for some reason. Ata had wandered them many a time back in his childhood, sometimes out of boredom, others out of being actually lost. The sanctuary was around the size of a palace, with close to 40 bedrooms, 10 wash rooms, 4 libraries, a training hall, a main hall, a basement, a chapel area, the kitchen area, the dining hall, a room that Ata owned to himself, Odynitr's chambers, the nurse's quarters, and the hospital wing. Getting lost here was nothing short of a common habit, and even for those who had lived here it was hard to keep track of where you were. The only windows in the structure were in the dining hall, which was situated in the edge of the cliffs overlooking the secret entrance. Ata wondered how everyone was doing with their meals...

He stopped in front of a large, metal door that was the most vivid shade of crimson, and bore the healer's mark in gold. He opened the door and stepped inside, quiet as he could manage. Silluin was in here, receiving medical attention from the staff on hand, and was apparently still resting. The nurses turned to look, and noticing Ata was there, returned to their work. He approached them, hoping to understand what was going on with her:

"I'm sorry to intrude, but I was wondering if any of you knew what was going on with her?"

The head nurse turned to him, and smiled at him like an old friend.

"She's a little banged up, but aside from that we only have our suspicions. Master Odynitr had us check this one time with an old apprentice of his, and sure enough she's got the same symptoms. We think she was healed by an Arcanite who was tainted at the time of the casting. Her wounds healed, but she's come down with a rough fever because of it, and she'll need a couple days of bed rest before she's back up and moving again. Luckily, whoever was casting couldn't have been too terribly tainted, otherwise she might have been in worse shape..."

Ata felt the guilt rise back up in him suddenly. He'd been tainted? Did that mean his blood was harmful to heal with now? He thought back to last night, and remembered that he felt very ill, but he had hoped that was just the voice in his head that had done that to him. He had healed himself during all that...maybe his tainted blood had gotten him too...

Then the idea came into his head.

He reached inside his robes, and removed the stone knife, the Offering. He remembered that he'd stabbed himself with it, and when he awoke, he was good as new!

The nurses jumped at the sight of the item, and immediately moved back towards the wall:

"Ata! That's Master Odynitr's knife! Be careful with that thing, you could really hurt someone!"

Hurt someone? No way, this thing was about as dangerous as a blade of grass. Then again, he didn't know how he'd stabbed himself with it that night, all he knew is that he was listening to the voice, then he awoke with it buried deep within his chest.

Sheathing the knife again, he apologized and asked if he could sit with her for awhile. After the nurses calmed down, they left to check on some of the other patients, with a look of confusion on their pale faces. What was so terrifying about this knife that made those nurses panic like that?

He looked over at the elf lady, studying her with his eyes. Her breathing was calm, as if she was in any normal sleep, though her face was pale as snow. She was suffering because of his mistake...must be a trend of his...

The girl whispered in her sleep; something in Sindarin that Ata didn't fully understand. Ata knew she wouldn't be down for more than a few hours after her reawakening, she was much tougher than she let on. He couldn't believe how calm she stayed when that bastard had come for them on horseback, and Ata stayed behind to hold him off. He knew if anyone had the determination to take down a grinner, she did. With that kind of fortitude, they'd be hard put to scare her off, though that wouldn't stop them from playing mind tricks with her...

They were certainly in for a rough time...Ata had never faced a grinner before now, but he'd always known what they were capable of. Odynitr use to tell him stories about those that he had destroyed, how they would grin the entire time they fought, how they would assault your mind with things that were not happening, how they would take your most devestating memory and use it against you...

A tear rested on his eyelid now. He wiped it away and rose from his seat. She would rather have Vaden here than him...he'd let him sit by her and keep watch.

Upon reaching the door way, a nurse asked him where he was off to:

"I'm going to see Iris. If the others are wondering, tell them I'm off for a stroll and I'll be back shortly..."

He did not look at the woman, nor did he hide his face as she looked on, a look of sadness spreading across her own face.

As the door shut behind him, the nurse did not notice her patient rising from her bed, nor did she notice the woman sneaking out the door...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He'd reached the lowest floor of the sanctuary now. After several flights of stairs, he was now directly in the center of the cliffs. The hallway was lined with torches that, once passed, would light with a white flame. The whole sanctuary was one big mass of magic and arcana, bound together and forged in the stone itself. The floor was pure white marble that almost seemed to sparkle in the flames. The red rug that ran through the center seemed to span on forever, until you reached the stone door directly at the end.

The door was a dark gray with the image of a magnificent flower carved directly into it. The petals were the only colored part of it, a light silver to stand out amongst the rest of the design. Ata wiped a tear from his eye, and dripped it directly into the center of the petals. The door began to evaporate, disappearing into an opening which had been created in its absence. Ata stepped inside...

This room, unlike any of the other rooms in the sanctuary, was special. The floor was white, soft, and packy; much like snow, but it didn't feel cold when you touched it. The ceiling had the effect of the night sky, stars dotting it in every which direction, shining brightly amongst the endless darkness. There were no walls, the room seemed to stretch on for an eternity in all directions. The land seemed to be floating on the nothingness, in a big circle that seemed to be dotted with stones, connected to the doorway only by a small landmass wide enough for one person to cross at a time.

Ata was making his way toward the center of the landmass, his gaze focused on the structure that resided there. He stopped just short of it, and took a knee, where he bowed his head in prayer.

Silluin entered not long after that. She was amazed to see a place like this in a human domicile, the effects were awe-inspiring. She had not been stalking him, if anything he knew that she had followed him, but whether he did not care, or wanted her to follow, she could not tell. She approached the center softly, still feeling a little weak, but at the same time mustering up the strength to keep moving. She stopped dead in her tracks when Ata lifted his head, and turned back to her, apparently smiling. He spoke to her like a man that had not a care in the world, but his eyes showed a sorrow that hid deep in his mind:

"I'm glad to see you're fit enough to stand again. I've been meaning to introduce you and Vaden, but I was hoping to save it for another day..."

He turned back to the statue, and continued speaking, his voice cracking slightly:

"Silluin, say hello to Iris. Iris, this is Silluin."

Silluin's eyes were guided to the statue that towered in front of her. It was an astonishing piece of art, standing at twice her size and shining brightly amongst the graying tombstones and white ground. The statue was of an angel, bound in dark chains and spreading its six magnificent wings. The face was staring down at the bundle that lay silently in its arms, still and lifeless. The bundle was a young woman, a human by the looks of it, with long brown hair flowing over the arm and along her neck. She wore a white robe that gave a metallic shimmer in the light. Her face was very pretty, the lips a shade of red stood out against her pale skin. Her arm dangled over the side, limp and frail, her hand open as if expecting something. There was something about this that didn't seem right...

Silluin's eyes grew wide as she stared on.

This girl wasn't part of the statue, she was real.

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Silent, steady and hidden. Arrow knocked but undrawn. Waiting.

Geg sat covered by branches and thick green leaves, a hole in the canopy let him survey the bridge but kept his hidden to anyone distant, one more shadow under the canopy. Death was sweet when it came to those not expecting it, sweeter still if Geg could see the shock and horror in their eyes.

Soon enough the figure was joined by three more from some hole among the rocks, Geg knew now they had the numbers they’d make a rush, soon there would be blood.

The first one across must have been that elf, Geg hadn’t seen someone else so fast amongst their group. He kept his bow down, no use wasting arrows, better to play their confidence against them, already one was drawn out, he waited for the next one.

And sure enough, as if they were expecting ranged fire when crossing the bridge they were going one at a time, separate and isolated. Geg grinned, but now with an animal carnal fury, there was no satisfaction, he bared his teeth because he hungered, he wanted the taste of blood on his tongue!

The short bow made almost no creak as he drew back the string to his ear and loosed. Not even waiting to see if he’d hit his mark Geg grabbed another shaft and loosed, then another then another.

A few clattered across the stone bridge but even in the distance he saw the rush of blood and the figure fall, arrows had sprouted from the upper body and legs, enough to stop him.

There was a good chance he hadn’t been spotted, with the elf among the trees spotting the arrows fly would be harder, more so would be from the distance of the far end of the bridge, but Geg couldn’t risk it, not with these odds.

One foot went to the trunk of the tree and he slid down, landing on packed earth with a thud. Quickly he dropped the arrows and bow, taking up the round wooden shield and axe he had stashed in the shrubs. Then he surged forward with determination to the bridge, not looking back to check the elf.

Air rushed past him as he leapt over the ropes binding his woman to the bridge and landed steadily on the stonework. Ahead of him was the downed fighter, blooding and clutching at his wounds, Geg grinned. He was glad for getting broadheads, more painful and difficult to pull out without help. Beyond there was a swordfighter rushing him, by the looks of him a rider from the wide legged stance, easier meat on the ground especially when they were used to a beast beneath them.

Geg looked behind for the elf, no sight yet but he’d cotton on soon enough, best not risk taking the two on at once so he rushed to meet the swordsman head on.

Shield hefted and covering his upper body, axe raised high in the other hand Geg pushed forward with all haste, the swordsman did the same, fool.
    With a hidden grin and more speed Geg pushed on, riders tended to be of the same mind, they rode down their foe, they pushed on, they charged, off the horse they were usually too dense to deviate from their tactics. As they came together the swordsman lashed out with the blade, taking his shield down to strike. Geg ducked his head and kept his own shield covering his upper body but didn’t miss a step, he threw all his weight behind the shield and into the man’s body as his sword had whipped forward.

There was a crash, one edge of his shield splintered and fell away, Geg heard the grunt from the man, not content to give him a break, as soon as their bodies parted he swung his axe against the swordsman.

The fool had thought to block. Heavy axe met light sword, and the blade was knocked from his hand, reeling away across the stone. Left without his weapon the man was all the more foolish not to run.

Geg shrugged off the weight of his shield and took both hands to his axehaft, he swung over and over wildly at the fighter, who raised his shield to block. Splinters flew everywhere and the shield came apart. Geg aimed for the middle trying to take out the bastards arm.

Finally he pushed the fool to the edge of the bridge, giving no rest, fuelled by rage and bloodlust he gave no rest or quarter, hacking like a madman.

Eventually when the shield was almost nothing and the fighter pushed back, the axe skidded over the top of the weak defence. The fighter tried to lean back more against the rail but failed. The heavy axe thudded horizontally into the meat of the man’s shoulder, biting deeply, Geg could feel the shudder of steel against bone and laughed. The impact jarred him and the fighter fell over the rail into the water behind armour taking him down out of sight.

Geg looked back to the woman, over her shoulder he saw the elf running quick shouting something. He turned the other way and saw a stocky dwarf running head on. They hoped to trap him.

Geg laughed and launched towards the far end of the bridge but stopped shortly over the grunting form of the felled warrior, the fool had snapped the arrow in his leg and was doing the same with the other.

When Geg approached he tried to draw a knife but Geg jumped and planted a boot on his wrist, the snap made him smiled.

He unsheathed his sword and put it to the man’s neck, then looked up and down as the two approaching. The axe he held in his left arm poised to swing down to the fool's groin

“Same position again, only this time no mages” He shouted to the elf. “Just some runt of a dwarf and a sorry excuse for a captive.”

Geg put one boot onto the snapped arrow shaft, pushing it further into the man’s flesh. The squeal of pain was exquisite.

20. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    With Vaden in the front, and Aerwindur at his back, Artix carefully started to cross the cobbled bridge. Holding his breath with each step, Artix watched as Vaden made his way across the bridge, and finally, shot into the bushes, with all of his elven speed.

Artix let out his breath and tried to calm himself as he made his way for the middle of the bridge. Soon, Aerwindur would make his way across. He had finally calmed his nerves when suddenly, pain sprouted from his shoulder, sending him towards the side of the bridge. He had no time to react, or even think before, one, two, he gave up counting. Arrow's plunged into his abdomen and chest and he dove into the hard cobblestones, and his head was filled with a black haze, he could hardly see as a figure of a man slide through the brush, and onto the bridge; circular shield plastered in one of his bear-like hands. Artix couldn't even see the axe in his other hand.

Aerwindur rushed to meet the monster of a foe, as a thought rushed through Artix's head, like a ocean tide polverizing the rocks. This had to be the man that had attacked Thorn. It HAD to be.

Artix watched as the Rohan Man and the monster of a man hefted at each other, sheilds in front of them. He wanted to get up and help, but he couldn't even move. Not now. The pain was still much to great. He felt like a worthless cripple, sitting on the sidelines. He couldn't stand it. More pain rushed through his head, and he almost slipped into unconciousness. He couldn't. He needed to fight the pain. He NEEDED too. Artix bit into his tounge hard an felt warm bitter blood run down his chin. He couldn't even feel his tounge. What the hell did it matter?

Artix looked back at the fight. He was just in time to see Aerwindur's sword thrown from his hands. The steel ran across the stone in a bitter harmony. Aerwindur should never have tried to block the axe with his sword. A rider's mentality. Riders knew less of hand to hand combat than a normal man. He was no doubt good enough to match most fighters, but such a small mistake can get you killed. It was not his fault though. Artix still held respected the man though, more that anyone could realize.

Artix expected him to run, but like a true Rohirrm, he didn't back down. He only grit his teeth and went back at the monster. Artix smiled slightly.

Soon Aerwindur's shield was in shambles, and the enemy had backed him up to the back of the bridge. Part of Aerwindur's shoulder flew off from the man's axe chop, and the force, and pain threw him over the edge. With the heavy armor, Aerwindur was more that likely to drown. Damn.

Now the man approched him. He had been in the process of breaking the ends off the arrows, but it was no use. They were to broad of tip to do that. It only dug them deeper into his bleeding flesh. Artix tried to draw his knife, but the man jumped onto his wrist, snapping it, probally breaking it, at the very least.

He felt hard cold steel slip onto his neck.

“Same position again, only this time no mages. Just some runt of a dwarf and a sorry excuse for a captive.” the man barked.

Artix felt the boot of the man dig the arrow deeper into his flesh. Artix moaned from the pain.

Artix saw himself ripping the man's head from his shoulders. Merely a dream though.

Artix coughed up blood.

Search tags for this page

content