Journey Into the Light

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden's eyes scanned across the field as he approached the city. His clothes were ragged from months in the wilderness, his body was pale and sickly, moreso than usual, due to his time away from civilization. A cool wind blew past and brushed gently against his face, Vaden shivered, it had been a long time since he'd worn that scarf around his face, and he still wasn't used to the way the wind felt against his bare flesh. He'd had a lot to think about since he'd killed Ray, and that beast as well, his griffon was dead, he'd need a new mount, more importantly he'd need to find work in the town.

He entered the town and found himself having to push through the crowds of people, it had been a long time indeed since he'd felt this many people. He'd gotten so used to his aura from his curse pushing people away, to do so again was.... strange. It was all strange to Vaden now, he'd been a slave to that lich for over three hundred years, to suddenly be mortal, or as mortal as elves got, again was a bit overwhelming. He stepped into a pub, the only place someone of his appearance wouldn't draw him any more scorn than usual. Plus, a pub was always the place people came to find adventurers, and at his core, that was all that Vaden really could be...

2. TheImmortalMessenger

TheImmortalMessenger Spinner of Lost Tales

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    The pub door creaked open, and a man in blood red robes inches his way inside. Out of breath and clearly distraught, the young man eases himself into a seat towards the back and removes his hood. The men closest to him begin to stare, as they notice his silvery-white hair falling across his shoulders like rivers of moonlight. He fumbles in his robes for something, then peeks up to meet the staring men's gaze. They turn away in a hurry, pretending to go about their lives, nervously talking amongst themselves. Atalisk fumbles through his robes some more, takes grasp of a cold, metallic object resting inside of his robe pocket, and lets out a sigh of relief. Removing his hand once more, he peers up at the room, casually scouting the area for signs of unrest. He had to be here somewhere...but where...?

3. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    A hooded figure sat alone in a shadowed corner of the room. She had been traveling for three fortnights. She had watched every person walk into this pub since dusk. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Was she finally where she was supposed to be? The all-seeing one told her she would come across strangers who struck curiosity in her. Curiosity was an emotion that Silluin never felt after the deaths of her parents. She didn't know what to do. So she waited. She showed no signs of emotion, and kept her face hidden from the others. She new that no one could tell whether she was male or female, Elf, Ranger, or any other race that existed in the vast world. She waited, anxiety creeping up inside of her.

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden sat at the counter, the men who'd been there before gladly parted for him. Vaden was an elf, and in the company of men his kind didn't usually receive such respect, but Vaden's face told a story. He'd been through hell, he looked like hell, and judging by the way he wore the blades at his hips, he'd gladly send them there if they crossed him. The few that recognized him whispered stories as he ordered a mug of water. Vaden hated to admit it, but without that damned lich, he wasn't much of a drinker.

He looked around the pub, very few characters seemed to be of interest, a red mage, the standard cloak in the corner, no one really caught his eye. He supposed he'd have to do this the old fashioned way. He turned and faced the bar tender, "So tell me old timer, tell me, you surely know. Is there anyone of your patrons who would be interested in hiring an old sword?"

The bar tender looked Vaden over him, then smiled and chuckled, "Well, if you were just any old sword I'd say no. But I recognize those eyes of yours. I met your brother long ago, he spoke highly of you despite the sins you bear. He carries quite a reputation around here, and I'm certain anyone who met him would be glad to have your sword in their employ. Just keep in mind, not everyone who will seek your help is on the up and up, and most of those types have characters not even you will be able to handle alone."

Vaden nodded, "Are there any here that you could advise as traveling partners?"

The bar tender shook his head, "Not a one that I recognize. Check the bulletin wall, any job openings for your type will be up there. If there are any others interested in your line of work, I'm sure they'll follow." Vaden nodded his thanks and headed over to the wall where all bulletins were posted, looked like this was going to be a slow start...

5. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Atalisk's eyes shifted quickly about the room, scanning for the man that was once his master. His nerves were shot from the previous excursion he'd escaped only mere moments before, and he felt himself growing tired. He took to ordering a pint of the house special, and wandered off amongst his memories.

He remembered his master speaking of creatures appearing to the north, and needing something from an old friend. They set out, traveling for days on end with little rest and no end in sight. Finally, they reached a cavern set into a mountainside near Caedorn, and proceeded inside. His memory became hazy here, the last few things he could remember was the sound of a voice nearby, a loud bang, and then he was suddenly bound and tied in the alleyway of this town. Using some of his master's own techniques, he escaped captivity and bolted for the nearest business in sight.

He looked up, only now realizing that there was now a frosty cold beverage sitting within his reach, and took a couple of swigs for his nerves. The liquid felt refreshingly warm against the back of his throat, all the way down into his stomach. His mind still alert, Atalisk put his hand back into his robes, and began to relax a bit. No use being tense...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Artix sat on one of the bar's oaken chairs and let out a deep sigh. He had been wandering the streets all day, but no one had seemed to care. As a sellsword he was used to this, but it had been over three tenday since he had had a good job. It was doubtful anyone would want him for quite a while. Unless war broke out. Artix chuckled. It wasn't very healthy to hope for war. Breathing deeply, Artix got up once again and walked over to the bar. On the way there he saw a man pass him, on his way to the bullitien board. Quite a normal occurence, but his eyes looked firmiliar. But no, it couldn't be. He had thought.... Nevermind that. I must be seeing things.. he thought to himself. I just need a beer. Thats all.

7. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin listened intently. One thing she inherited from her Elven mother was her hearing. She was listening to everything that the curious Elf at the bar was saying to the bartender. She needed a traveling companion. She decided that he was the one the all-seeing one spoke of.

"He will be in the same need that you are."
    "But I have many needs master."
    "I can tell you no more child. Trust your instincts. You will know."
    "HOW?"
    "What is the one thing that you have not felt since the deaths of your parents."
    Before Silluin could reply to him, he had vanished.

There were others too, that she was supposed to meet... but she was sure that he was the first one he spoke of. She could barely sit still. She waited. Silluin was very wise but she was unsure how to act. Her Hobbit father would have fallen over himself trying to get at the Elf. She didn't want to make a scene. So she waited, still. She leaned forward, hoping to get a better look at the Elf. He looked directly at her. She almost gasped, but held it back.

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden looked over the bulletin board, eventually finding one that caught his interest. He pulled it off the wall and tucked it into his shirt. He felt a few pairs of eyes upon him, but he didn't acknowledge them, yet. There was a low creaking that came from the corner, movement. He paid attention through his peripheral vision, the cloak from the corner. He couldn't make out any of the wearer's features from this angle, he turned to face them. They pulled back slightly, but held any gasp at the sight of his strange eyes, Vaden suppressed a smirk and looked back at the board.

His eyes were his most defining characteristic. The white area of the typical person's eyes where green in his. The pupils, typically black, were red. And the area that was usually blue or brown was white. The orcs had given him the name Keeneyes because orcs with such colorations in their eyes tended to have sharp vision, it was true of he and his brother as well. Yet even with his eyes, he couldn't make out any of cloak's features. He didn't worry, they would come to him if they were interested.

He walked back to the bar, then spoke in orc talk, knowing only the bar tender and a few goblins in the room could understand him. "Tell me, who all has sent their eyes my way?" he asked.

The bar tender smirked and responded in the same language, "The cloaked one in the corner you saw, a few of the ogre kin sent eyes your way too. Other than them the one at the end of the bar looked surprised to see you, although he shook it off."

9. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin could handle it no longer. She slowly stood up. Then she recalled something familiar about the Elf. This time she accidentally did gasp aloud. Her realization was too perfect. She had a dream with him in it. She had a dream that she knew him. She had seen him the night that her parents were killed. That is almost impossible, she told herself.

Silluin concentrated hard on his features. Yes, it was him. It was not his strange eyes that had determined it, but it was his hands. Silluin never forgot a pair of hands when she saw them. She believed they told many things about a person. She walked over to him. She had no idea if he was good or bad, or if anything at all. She just knew she was supposed to meet him. She had been searching for a long time for someone that was nonexistent to her.

He glanced at her as she walked up to him. She didn't know what to say, if anything. So she spoke a simple greeting in the language of their ancestors.

"Mae Govannen"

10. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Something was going on, Atalisk could feel it. There was a man chatting to the bartender in what he could only assume was orcish, a figure in the corner, cloaked but ever watchful, and a few goblins that all gave him a feeling of displeasure. Keeping his gloved hand on his Offering, Ata rose from his table, and cautiously approached the one who's aura troubled him least, the figure in the corner.

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    "Mae Govannen" said the cloaked figure as she moved beside Vaden.

Vaden cursed himself in his own mind for never learning any real elvish. He recognized this as a simple greeting though. He turned and looked at her, there was something, oddly familiar about her. He couldn't put his finger on it though. "Greetings madam, what business do you have that would bring one such as yourself before a wretch such as I?" he asked.

It was true Vaden had been away for a long time. And while he wasn't interested in this one the way he had been the many nameless wenches in the past, he still knew how to speak to a woman. He toyed with the thought of peering into her mind, but that could turn out dangerous if she was on her guard, which by what little he could read of her muscles, she was. As such Vaden wouldn't bother to try to gather any insight into her yet. She wasn't threatening, and if she wanted to be he'd snap her in two. So he;d wait to see what she had to say.

12. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin didn't know what to say. She couldn't think of a language to speak in since he didn't respond to her Elvish. She ran all the languages she new in her mind. She knew very little Orcish, but it was the Uruk Hai that she learnt to speak it from, so she doubted that he could know that sector of Orcish.

Silluin could tell that he was wary of her presence. She could also tell that he wanted her to state her purposes very clearly. That in which she could not do. She remembered back to what the all-seeing one said:

"Your hands are aids to your soul- they feel what it is unable to. Your soul can feel every emotion in existence, but it can never feel skin or cloth or hair. But hands are sad for they will never feel emotion."

It didn't make sense to her when he had said it, but now she understood. Silluin placed her hand on the Elf's arm and said a sentence in the harsh language of the Uruk Hai, praying that this Elf new what she said.

"I know you from a dream."

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The cloaked woman placed a hand on his arm, the way she moved proved she was no threat, but what she said caught him off guard. "I know you from a dream," she said. Her language was rough, but he understood it. She spoke in the language of the Uruk Hai, hard even by orcish standards, but for the most part it would due, although he would need to teach her common if she was going to be around him for very long.

As for the content of what she said, that was a great deal more interesting. To humans dreams hadn't meant anything unless they were grim in ages. As for the elves, he hadn't walked among them often, but from what he knew of them dreams meant about the same there as they did to the humans. However to the orcs dreams were serious business. Skilled dream readers could tell a lot from what occurred in dreams. He responded slowly in regular orcish, "Tell me, what occurred in this dream?"

14. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin was not taken aback that he knew Uruk Hai. She could immediately from his hands that he had been around Orcs of many races. She knew her grammar was probably broken, but she continued with what she knew anyway.

"First let me tell you that I am a Seer. I have been trained by an all-seeing one. My dreams are prophetic and real. They are more than just my hearts desires, or my subconscious thoughts"

She paused. The Elf took this in. He spoke no disagreement, so she continued.

"When I was younger, my parents were slaughtered in front my eyes. I could do nothing about it. The... Orcs..."

She stopped for a moment, unsure if she should continue. Regaining confidence, she drudged on.

"They tied me to a tree and raped my mother in front of my father and I. Then they took his most prized gardening tools and beat him to death with them. They lit our bough on fire. They told me that I should live in a hole because I was more Hobbit than I'd ever be Elf. There were Dark Elves and Evil Dwarves there too."

Silluin had tears in her eyes. She had never spoke of this to anyone. And to tell someone she didn't know, in a language she was hardly fluent in...

"My family was a part of the resistance against the first uprising of Sauron. Families like ours were the first to be tormented. We were half breeds. Sauron didn't care either way, but Dwarves hated us. The Orcs just wanted someone to kill. I later made friends with an Uruk Hai who was on the run from the evil doers. He was there that night."

Tears were streaming down her face.

"I had a dream, and you were in it. I relived everything that happened. But instead of the Uruk Hai standing alone not partaking in the debauchery... It was you. I know not what to make of this dream. I only know that I was told to seek you."

Silluin turned her face away from the strangers gaze.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  15. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Atalisk approaches the cloaked figure, and stops just outside of stabbing distance. He recognized that it would do him no good if they had throwing weapons, but he was ready to act if that was the case. Speaking in the chopped version of elvan his master had taught him, Atalisk spoke to the figure

"I'm sorry to impose, but I heard you speaking elvan. If I may ask, have you seen an old man no taller than a hobbit, but no weaker than a dwarf? He bears a scar in the shape of an eye close to his left ear."

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vaden placed a hand on the young woman's shoulder as she began to weep, then guided her onto a stool. She kept quiet enough that she didn't bring any attention to herself, and only Vaden, and the bar tender could hear her speak, but none the less, she'd presented him with a lot to think about. He wasn't certain what to make of that dream, he was no shaman, but there was definitely something there. He patted her on the shoulder.

He heard another voice in the back of the tavern, they too seemed lost. He would deal with that one in a moment, for now he had a weeping woman on his hands. He leaned close and whispered, "Your story... interests me deeply. Join me in my questing, and we shall see if we can't figure out it's meaning.... together?" She looked up and smiled weakly, her eyes wet with tears. Vaden smiled and patted her on the shoulder. It had been a long time indeed since he'd needed to comfort a woman, who deserved it. At least it had been a long time since he'd been successful. Hopefully it would last with this one...

17. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Silluin was unsure of what had just happened. She was not the type of character to lose control of her emotions. It was so painful for her to speak of her parents though. No one knew about the Uruk Hai either. No one knew that she could speak Uruk. Silluin had no friends. She was a loner. She always had been. Up until her parents' deaths it was not her choice. After that she never stayed in one place longer than a fortnight.

The Elf stranger spoke to her softly, and at the word "together" she couldn't help but smile, even though it was against her will to do so. Apart from her parents, she had never been comforted by another being until now. She closed her eyes and a minute later reopened them. Her face and mind were cleared up.

Silluin removed her hood and told the Stranger that she agreed to accompany him on his travels.

"I was told to find you, and I have. Or maybe you found me. If we travel together we are sure to figure out this dream." She was embarrassed at her poor Uruk skill.

Silluin was ready to leave. She was unwary of this place. She spoke to herself in Elvish "im estel im turoestel le... mellon". Then she put her hood back up.

18. TheImmortalMessenger

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Atalisk felt even more nervous, as his words went unheard. His covered hand was wrapped around the Offering so tightly, he swore he could hear the bones breaking. He waited until the conversation died down a bit, then he resumed his approach. Focusing his thoughts on the task at hand, he built up the last of his courage, and spoke to the figure again, hoping that his elvan was understandable.

"I am sorry to interrupt you, but I was wondering if you could help me with something?"

19. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Artix had been glancing over at them every few seconds. The man's eyes seemed so farmiliar, and now that woman was talking to him. The next time he glanced he saw also, a cloaked figure that walked over. Interesting. He might be able to join them if he played his cards right.

"Bartender, a beer please."

As he brought it over, Artix asked him another question. "You see that man, over there, with the woman and cloaked man talking to him?"

"Yes, i was talking to him no to long ago."

"Is he meeting those people here?"

"As far as i no, he was looking for people to join his party. I reckon he's probally asked those people to join him."

Artix left his beer behind and went to go talk to the man with the farmiliar eyes.

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    "I was told to find you, and I have. Or maybe you found me. If we travel together we are sure to figure out this dream," said the woman.

Vaden smiled at her, and recalled her story. Really, she wasn't unlike him. Orcs had butchered her parents, and it had taken another orc to help teach her the ways of the world. While Vaden would have liked if that orc had taught her to speak common, she would be able to communicate with him well enough in the tongue of the Uruk Hai. Before Vaden could say anything else another happened upon them.

"I am sorry to interrupt you, but I was wondering if you could help me with something?" Vaden quickly studied this figure, the red mage from before. Vaden didn't know much elvish, only being able to make out a few words of that sentance. But he could tell enough that the human was looking for help. He kept his hand hidden, likely keeping a blade in hand, that was a bad habit to have, especially when you could typically kill with a word. Vaden didn't call his bluff yet, the girl was getting ancy, she wanted to go, and Vaden had a feeling that anyone wanting to join them would follow.

"Certainly mage, you'll find that there aren't much better places to find what you're looking for than in a pub. Although, keep that up and you may find people will be less obliging," Vaden said in common, gesturing toward the hand the mage kept hidden. "At the very least, I can teach you to be less obvious about it. Anyway, speak as you walk mage, myself and the lady have business elsewhere, and you're free to come along if such is your wish."

He guided the two out, just now noticing the bull of a man that had been glancing over at them for some time. Vaden had only met a few men of that stature, all of them were warriors of the highest caliber. The elf hoped he followed, and that he spoke common. He clearly wore his battle history, and it would be nice for Vaden to know at least one person who came with him knew how to fight. As the walked he whispered to the young half elf in orcish, "By the way, my name is Vaden. If I might ask, what am I to call you?"

Search tags for this page

content