Joseph Koney and the Invisible Children of Africa

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by curunir's bane, Mar 7, 2012.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I was quite moved by this video and I thought this would be a great place for the message to spread while at the same time discussions to begin on this topic. If this is not the right place I apologize.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    An interesting use of the media and international community. I just wonder if its going to really hit home making him famous in "the west" when he's in Africa. I think this might have worked with more power if he were hiding in a western nation or operating from one - but out in Africa it might be a very different tale *has no working understanding of Africa to really make heavy claims*.

Heck for a person like this heavy media attention might backfire and he goes underground even more - pushing deeper into the more remote and less educated areas to not only continues his actions but also recruit new supporters/fighters for his cause/efforts. The increased attention might make some western nations put a few more resources toward finding him (though it's been 10 years already) but if that isn't attention that beats his desire to hide it won't do any good at all.

The other thing to consider is that the "African children" line has been done to death. This is going to sound really cold and harsh - but honestly the sight of suffering african children has been used so widely in western media to drum up support for welfare, aid, military relief etc.. that I've a feeling many are becoming more and more desensitised to it. That the time between "that's terrible" and "continues eating their breakfast" gets shorter and shorter each time and that every time its used people grow more complacent with it.

Children will nearly always strike a nerve in people - though I've a feeling we might be doing it to death with Africa.

3. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I understand where you are coming from but the one thing people are not realizing is that information technology has greatly changed over the past ten years. And it will continue to change at an exponential rate. We weren't anywhere close to where we were ten years ago. Ten years ago I was graduating junior high. No one knew about facebook, youtube, or any other social medias in the way we do now. I truly believe that things have changed and will continue to create change.

The major point is, even if YOU personally don't believe that you will be able to do something, post the video anyway because SOMEONE will believe in it.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Yes but that has to translate to actual action in a positive direction for it to be of any use. Furthermore this isn't a quick resolution - the mob of the globe is still pretty short term in its attention (esp since this has to compete against many other campaigns each fighting for our attention - to say nothing of commercial companies seeking to draw our attention with viral advertising - and then all that has to fight against lolcats!)

Translating short term wide spread attention into long term attention and into meaningful action is a very tricky thing indeed and very hard to take on. You've got to put a lot of work and have a heck of a lot of luck (one video CAN do it - but it does not mean it will) to get it to take off - and then it might all be gone by this time next week.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If it's America they're looking to for help... well, we're sick to death of it.
    We're finally out of Iraq, will soon enough be out Afghanistan, can't do much more in Somalia, and will probably take it to the next level in Iran in the coming year... there's only so many shitholes in the world we can*save*.

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    The way I understood the video was that all they need is enough public attention on the subject so that the US Senate and Congress keeps thinking Kony is important, so that those 100 US soldiers stay in Africa and help the local military.

If public interest fades, the soldiers will probably be pulled out again.
    That's the message I got.

Furthermore, I think they went about it quite smart: A limited space of time (only this year, which is great for our modern small attention spans), a plan on what to do, one set date when to do it, 3 buttons to help do it - so really all we need to do is click a few button and keep spreading the news. That's all they need and it's not that hard.

What I don't get (maybe because I have a dangerous lack of knowledge here): Somewhere in my memory is the information, that the US have not "acceppted" the international court in The Hague for what the "rest" of the western world have accepted it. Is that correct or utter nonsense?
    How does it work anyways? Do countries catch the bad guys and ship them into the Hague, or does the court have its own means to bring those bad guys to justice? and if so, why isn't it doing exactly that?

Edit: oh and for all those who like to click buttons: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony-4.html
    I guess the video is the same, but that's where you get the action kit and stuff

7. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I couldn't give a full response last night - I had been drinking.

Yes you do bring up the correct points. And I think Running Wolf kind of tried to answer most of your concerns in his post so I'm not gonna rehash what has already been said.

But you are absolutely correct. No one knows if this will work for certain. But that's also why the guy called this an experiment. He's trying something out that's a little different (and these differences are highlighted in RW's post). Hopefully it will work. No one knows yet. It won't bring and end to every crime like that in the future. But hey it's an experiment we should definitely give it a try.

And hey, everyone who's not in America try and post this video around the net to see if others can get involved. If this stuff works then maybe just maybe we can try using this approach to many problems.

8. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I read elsewhere that the... Invisible Children (that is the name of the... company/charity/fund/thing, yes? I haven't actually finished the video >.> I got to the point that it explained the issue though so uh... yay?) charity isn't as great as it is made out to be. I can't speak of the accuracy of those claims... But I thought I would poke the sleeping... subject. What I read said something about the... blah, I was half asleep when I was reading this. That the bosses of the charity take a bunch of the charity money for a large salary, and only like... 35%(?) goes toward the anti-kony thing... and the people they're arming (the LDSE? I'm totally pulling that acronym out of thin air FYI) aren't all that great either (raping and pillaging, and not the cool piratesque pillaging...)....

Like I said, I can't speak to the accuracy of the claims, or to be frank my memories of the accuracy of the details, but I got the gist of it there, and I thought I would throw that out there ^_^

9. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    @ Saeriel: I got a hint in that direction too. That it's not all that great. Maybe I'll do some research on the issue later on and post what I found.

10. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    The things about Kony is that he has less than 500 soldiers under his command, many of which are not child soldiers. He's not even in Uganda anymore, he's in the Congo, where there are far worse warlords than Kony. The fact that this campaign singled out Kony out of all the possible African war criminals warlords is bewildering to me.

I read an interview with someone living in Ugunda who said that Ugandans didn't talk about Kony at all there, and that some of those who are aware of the global movement are even against it.