Johnny Depp is such a Pussy!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Sparrow, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Mr. and Mrs. Depp were caught smuggling contraband into Australia, what you may ask were they smuggling?.. two stupid dogs!

And as punishment they had to record a public service apology video. How humiliating.
    If I had been caught for such a pissant crime, after I stopped laughing myself silly, I would've told the Aussie authorities I have their apology alright, hanging. I'm an American, you can't put me in jail!

Try watching this video of Captain Jack "pussy" Sparrow without throwing up...

2. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    They do NOT look happy doing this! Johnny Depp, in particular. I think he's reaaaally pissed off. :) They could only keep their dogs if they did this or smth?

3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Well, just because you're American doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. And if you travel somewhere else you can't bring your own law with you (duh), so they should have adhered to Australian law (and probably read up about it before travelling there).
    I think the apology video is quite ridiculous, though. Let them pay a fine just like everyone else does and be done with it.

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The only possible purpose or value the video has, is to humiliate them. It's really bizarre.
    I mean c'mon, the rest of us already know not to sneak puppy dogs on board a passenger jet, so there's no value in broadcasting the video as a way to deter folks from doing something so outrageously stupid.

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Exporting dogs to Australia or New Zealand is a REALLY big deal. The requirements for getting them into those countries are pretty stringent, expensive and time consuming. They aren't a place you can just take your dog to for a vacation.
    I'm wondering if they made them make the video as a deterrent to anyone else thinking to bypass the restrictions. After all, if they'd humiliate a celebrity couple for thinking they're above the law, they wouldn't hesitate to throw the book at anyone.

6. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Why is it such a big deal, btw?
    I don't understand..

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    It's not that big a deal.
    The law is in place to stop exotic and non-native plants and animals from entering the country.
    What the Depps did is just what we'd expect two self absorbed fucks to do, to thumb their noses at regulations meant for us regular folk. Service animals, like a Seeing Eye Dog are allowed in the cabin of a passenger jet. I know because I've been on a flight wherein a blind woman had her dog with her. The dog was much better behaved than the average child. In fact, I tried to give the dog a scrap of food from my in flight meal, and the pooch wouldn't budge.:)

8. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    (a) if the offender is an individual--imprisonment for 10 years or a fine of 2,000 penalty units (a penalty unit is a fine of $180, so $360000 maximum fine) , or both; and
    (b) if the offender is a body corporate--a fine of 10,000 penalty units.

you are quite right on assistance animals:

In recognition of the critical, ongoing and dependent nature of the relationship between eligible dog and handler, the department will:

• provide a veterinarian to meet clients and eligible dogs in person at the airport
    • oversee your dog’s 10 day post-entry quarantine period at your home
    • waive standard departmental fees
    Arrest of an American Citizen Abroad (from US Embassy)
    The Commonwealth of Australia is a constitutional monarchy with a competent legal system and stable political structure which functions at both Federal and State/Territory level. Each State and Territory therefore has its own laws and administrative procedures for addressing criminal activity.

Anyone who commits a crime in Australia, including a U.S. citizen, is subject to prosecution under the Australian legal system. A U.S. passport does not entitle its bearer to any special privileges, and there should be no expectation of preferential treatment.

The following information provides an insight into the criminal legal system for arrestees.

The Consulate's Role
    If a U.S. citizen is arrested, the U.S. Consular Officials should be notified immediately. This may be done by the police at the time of arrest, or at a later stage should the arrestee request it.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulate will do what it can to protect U.S. citizens and their interests, and ensure they are not discriminated against under local law.

Please note that Consular Officers cannot release prisoners, provide funds for bail, provide legal advice or pay legal fees for you. For assistance with legal advice, a list of lawyers is available.

Information regarding a U.S. citizen’s welfare or whereabouts may only be released with their consent under the Privacy Act of 1974. The Embassy/Consulate will only notify family and friends of an arrest after receiving permission from the arrested person.

you're 100% right. this was designed to embarrass Johnny Depp. it was apparently deemed there was no point in fining him, as even the max fine is chump change for him, and the entire world would have condemned our wildlife dept for imprisoning him, so they embarrassed the shit out of him. if he were to reoffend he would indeed face prison time.

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I think also there's an element of using celebrities and the media attention they get to boost the signal of this law. Ergo fining them isn't a punishment so make use of their marketing potential - for free - to advertise.

I suspect as a result VAST numbers of people totally unaware of this law are now aware of it .

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

By "VAST numbers of people", do you actually mean you and almost everyone else weren't aware that you can't hide an animal on your person or in your luggage and bring it aboard a passenger jet? Even a retarded child would sense that it's not acceptable behavior to bring puppy dogs with you on a jet plane.

11. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I think OR meant that people aren't aware of these insanely strict regulations in Australia, right? I'm looking at all of the steps you have to undertake,.. So first you have to go your vet to get him tested and get a permit, then to a government office in your home country to get a permit, then you have to book 'pet accommodation' so when you arrive in Australia, your pet first goes in quarantine (so sad!), then you have to go to a vet again, twice, an Australian one now, and then, you need to go to your home country again to finalize the whole process by getting some papers signed. That's insane!!

12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    That seems rather reasonable, or at least an expected amount of red tape to go through.
    The other option is to not take pets on vacations, which I imagine 99.9% of us already don't do when traveling abroad. If someone is immigrating to another country, then you have to weigh the emotional attachment to the pet in question against the costs of bringing it along. Personally, I give the pet to a loving new home and never think about it again.:)

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    We are one of the few totally self contained and isolated countries/continents on the planet. As such, diseases hat are commonplace in other parts of the world simply don't exist here, and we'd like to keep it that way. Many countries are lax with biosecurity but we are not, as many incoming tourists have found out to their financial and penal cost.
    We can't even take fruit grown in Australia from one side of the country to the other side of the country. You have to bin it at the state borders. Yes seriously.

10 years in jail would give you lots of time to reconsider that stance.

But yes, fining a multi millionaire is a waste of time, but publicity for the cause is always helpful.

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Australia is neither self contained or isolated. And exactly what "commonplace" diseases are you guys somehow immune from? There are by far more diseases spread by humans that enter your country every minute of every day than are by plants and animals.
    And if your country imprisons puppy dog smugglers for ten years, well you know, that's pretty ridiculous.

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    it's not that anything is immune, on the contrary, everything here is in balance, and the introduction of a new pest or zoonotic disease may disrupt that balance.

1788 rabbits were brought over on the first fleet and had a significant effect, leading to a constant battle to eradicate them. diseases such as myxomatosis and rabbit haemorrhagic disease were introduced to the population, and while temporarily effective, the rabbits continue to have an immense effect on the eco-system

in 1833 foxes were brought in from England (for hunting) and immediately escaped. their population exploded to a level which had a massive effect on the population of local species including dingo's and goanna's . bounties were placed on fox furs and it remains legal to hunt them in all states (the hunting in tasmania was so successful that they are no longer present there)
    recently there has been speculation that the reintroduction of dingo's into areas dominated by foxes may curb the population

in 1935 Cane toads were brought in to control bugs in the cane fields... cane toads decided there were much better things to eat here than bugs... the impact on the local population of goanna's, snakes, and ground-nesting rainbow bee-eaters, (who's eggs are considered a delicacy.) was immediate and destructive.
    Here in QLD, cane toads are such a large problem that whenever we got drunk we'd go cane toad bashing. (scythes, swords, golf clubs etc. collect a $5 bounty per cane toad) the proceeds more than covered the costs of the get together.

it's legal to bring them in, but it's not worth the hassle, costs, and time it takes just for a holiday.

16. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    We don't have rabies. At all. We'd like to keep it that way.

Youtube appears to have lots of episodes of "Border Security Australia's Front Line" you can watch if you're interested. The crap people try to smuggle in amazes us as Aussies. When I travel overseas, I'm amazed at just walking out of foreign airports without the biosecurity checks that we have here, but then I guess that ship has sailed for them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Milo A. S.

Milo A. S. Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not about the crime, or the time.
    The Depp couple have fans in Australia that probably found that offensive that their beloved actors broke the law.
    It is much easier to say I'm sorry and keep the fans happy than say 'F' you all! and lose the fans. As isolated Australia is, the market there worth millions of dollars and shouldn't be disrespected.

18. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I mean it is a big deal for the dog owner. Mububban and Jim are right. They don't have rabies in Australia and the ecosystem over there has been damaged in the past from foreign animal introductions into it. To prevent that and the introduction of foreign diseases, there are strict regulations and procedures that have to be followed to admit a dog into the country. That means a whole host of examinations, blood tests, vaccines and treatments that the dog has to have at the vet before export to Australia (all paid for by the dog owner). Some of those are timed as well. For example, the vaccines and tests must be done within a certain time period of the export date: too far ahead of time and they expire, too close to the date and they won't allow the animal in. Then there is the quarantine period the pet has to have when they get there (paid for by the dog owner). Even the airline may have its own requirements to transport the dog that are separate from the destination's requirements. Exporting a dog to Australia isn't as simple as buying a crate and loading the dog on a plane (transportation is also paid for by the dog owner). It's an expensive, time-consuming process that takes months to plan and execute. I know someone who moved to Australia and spent thousands of dollars in order to get his two dogs into the country. Maybe it wouldn't be a such a chore for some people, but to me, all that time, effort, and expense would be a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I just don't get this thing where folks get so attached to their pets?.. thousands of dollars and endless hoops to jump through just for a dog? My cat recently caught a nasty intestinal virus that spread to her organs. Upon seeing the projected bill to have her stay at the vet for a few days and the treatment costs... I said, "nope". Give her the magic shot that puts her to sleep forever. Though I have this horrible suspicion that soon there will be another bedraggled cat popping up from under my house.

20. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Not everybody gets the attachment some people feel for their pets, but I guess if they've never experienced that attachment, nobody could really expect them to either.

My own cat has had 2 surgeries already to remove foam causing an intestinal obstruction. (The twit likes to eat it.) :p I swore she only would ever get one second chance (ie: we fixed her the first time and that was supposed to be it). Still, when she was in trouble again (for the same stupid reason...grrrr!), there was just no way I could agree to euthanize her. She's a sweet little thing and I love her quirky personality. I'll miss her terribly when she ever goes. She had an excellent chance at a full recovery so it was totally worth it to me to save her. She did great and I have no regrets about it.

I'm not judgmental if someone decides to put their suffering pet to sleep for financial reasons. We can all only do the best we can with what we have. At least a pet isn't suffering anymore after death. To me, it's their quality of life that matters, not how long it is.

If you need a cat, one will find you. (I'm convinced that cats have an eerie sense about these things!) I've never actually gone looking for any of my cats, somehow or other, when I'm in need of one, they just show up somewhere in my life and move in. :D

Search tags for this page

johnny depp is a pussy