John Howe and Allan Lee = Ringwraths???

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dwarf tosser, Apr 20, 2004.

1. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Allan Lee is indeed the King on the very right of this picture. He's easily recognisable, and it was confirmed in the cast commentary on the FOTR DVD.

However, I don't think the guy on the left is John Howe. It looks kind of like him, but a bit too old. And I don't remember hearing any mention of John Howe getting any screentime. But I haven't gone through all the FOTR & TTT extended DVDs with all the different commentaries on yet. That's a lot of hours!!!

3. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    it is indeed Alan Lee, but the question I wonder about is: what were all theese 9 kings kings over?

We hane Gondor, Anarion, and Arnor (3 kingdoms?), Angmar....? that's 6 right? but what about the last 3???

4. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've watched the commentaries and I don't recall three ever being mention of John Howe being on film.

Aenonar, How about Umbar, Harad and an Easterling king? I am not sure just a stab in the dark. Also I think it is said that they weren't all kings per se, but lords and wise men who were deceived.

5. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just realized while I reread my post I used the phrase "stab in the dark," (meaning a guess) and the chapter in FOTR where Frodo gets on weather top is titled A Knife in the Dark. Ha! a intirely unintentional pun.

6. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they are haradrim & co... they don't have the skin color for it ;)
    well, wise men sounds great (and the other thing...) :) (had forgot that part)

7. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There are quite a few kingdoms around Middle-Earth, though I can't really name any of them right on top of my head...

Hm... for example, Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, it's one of the kingdoms that's related to the Numenoreans.

Throughout the books, quite a few kinddoms were mentioned, some still had allegiance towards Gondor and the heir of Elendil, while some sided with Sauron. Never really put any effort in reading their names and remembering them, 'coz just knowing they're there is quite enough to read through the story... maybe I should in hindsight

8. Elf_Lover

Elf_Lover New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL good one, Calarustithil! If you hadn't pointed that out there is no way I would have noticed, no matter how clever it was!