Jodorowsky's Dune (Documentary - 2014)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Kelmourne, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    This has to be my favourite documentary of all time and anyone with even a passing interest in sci-fi movies should check it out.

It's about the eccentric Mexican director Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed attempt to make a Dune movie in the seventies. Ultimately the project got scrapped because the studio thought it was going to go over budget, but it would have been incredible.

He had hired Pink Floyd to do the soundtrack for House Atreides and Magma to do the soundtrack for House Harkonnen.

His list of actors included Orson Welles (!), Salvador Dalí (!!!), David Carradine, Mick Jagger, among others. His 12 year old son Brontis was to play Paul Atreides, and he trained 6 days a week for several years in martial arts in order to prepare for the role.

For set and character design he had hired H.R. Giger, Chris Foss, and Jean Giraud (Moebius).

The documentary goes on to give examples of how ideas that were going to be used for this movie got recycled into other popular sci-fi movies.

Also the soundtrack to the documentary is pretty great, I bought it on vinyl.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I've always been rather sad that Dune has never had a movie (or series of movies ) that really did it justice. Whilst some hate it and the writing is very loosly threaded together (mostly because of time constraints in trying to fit the book into one film) I've always been a fan of the older Dune movie. Then again its got models and old style cinematography that I've always associated with fantasy and sci-fi (and honestly done well it still trumps a lot of digital - digital CGI seems to age poorly and always appears kinda fake/too clean/too neat and shiny).

3. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    FYI a Dune remake was very recently confirmed, with Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner) as the director.

4. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I've less trust in Hollywood these days sadly - but I hope it works!

5. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    I'm optimistic because he can learn from the mistakes of the David Lynch movie. Plus, he's probably watched the documentary that this thread is about, which will give him some good tips on how to do it right.

6. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    True, but the problem is will the machine let him. Many a film is hacked to bits on the cutting board once made; and that's without directors changing content to fit the constraints of a film and the desires of their own creation.

Part of the problem is that most books are too long for a single film to really give gravity to every important scene. So sometimes you get a very quick film; the original Dune film was very much like that. It had all the important scenes and tried to be faithful to the original material - but as a result it had to speed up scenes and cut content and not go into bckground as much; as a result is one of those films where if you read the book before watching the film you'd enjoy it; whilst if you didn't you'd likely think of it as rather weak and poor quality.

TV series like the kind HOBO makes are better for books to visual media. A TV series that isn't tide to a weekly formula allows a story time to mature as you've got many many more hours to work with.

7. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    Jodorowkys_Dune.png

There was some great artwork made as part of this movie as well.

8. Cephalophore

Cephalophore New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I saw that documentary a couple of years ago! It was fantastic.

Jodorowsky's adaptation probably wouldn't have been super faithful to the book, but I'm sure it would have been an incredible mind-bending experience either way, years ahead of its time.

It bothers me, however, how Jodorowsky was willing to pay Salvador Dali $100,000 for every minute he was in the film. Seems pretty ridiculous and gratuitous. Dali wasn't even an actor!

9. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    Would have been worth it considering he was only supposed to be in the movie for 3-4 minutes.

10. Cephalophore

Cephalophore New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    What running time was Jodorowsky hoping for? 3-4 minutes would make sense for the Emperor if the movie was a regular length (1.5-2 hours) but wasn't Jodorowsky hoping for something ridiculous, like 10+ hours?

And on the topic of the new adaptation, with Villeneuve - I think he's a great choice. Arrival and Sicario were both very impressive. A few years ago, Paramount wanted to do an adaptation to be directed by Pierre Morel (who directed Taken for Luc Besson). He's not a bad director, but the choice didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Having said that, I'm not certain if anyone can do Dune justice with just one reasonably-long film. It's just begging to be a two-parter.

11. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    "What running time was Jodorowsky hoping for?"

The documentary never specifies, but I assume that it would have been 1.5-3 hours. On paper, they were supposedly within a reasonable budget so I don't think it was going to be 10 hours or more.

"Having said that, I'm not certain if anyone can do Dune justice with just one reasonably-long film. It's just begging to be a two-parter."

The first Dune novel follows a complete plot arc though. I think a 3-3.5 hour movie could do it justice, along with sequels for the other books.