Jim Butcher's Dresden Series

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Black Tattoo, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone ever checked these books out? I inadvertently got my husband hooked on these books but never read them myself until recently (I'm presently reading the second book "Fool Moon") and am REALLY enjoying it. The first got me hooked right away. Which is odd, because it's all written in first-person perspective and I usually don't go for that style. However, Mr. Butcher pulls it off really well.

You can check out Jim Butcher's site here >> http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thea

Thea Dream Chaser/Bookworm

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm a big fan of the Dresden Files - it's one of my favourites.:) The characters are great, and the storylines keep me interested from beginning to end - even if Jim Butcher does put Harry through a lot of trouble in the books!

So far, Turn Coat is the only book I haven't read: I've read everything up to and including Changes, and have just preordered Ghost Story today.:)

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I love the series, and have read most of the books. :) haven't got around to Changes, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I've just finished "Fool Moon" and I have to say WOW! I really loved it. I don't usually go for werewolf themes, but this was actually better than the first. I'm just starting "Grave Peril" and so far it's keeping me captivated. I think I have a ways to go. My husband's read every one of the Dresden books except "Ghost Story" which I don't think he even knows about yet. Hence my pre-ordering it as a surprise for him. ;)

All in all though, I have to say I'm surprised by the series thus far in that it's something I normally would never read and yet I seem quite captivated :devilbat:

5. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i think it's harry's overall deadpan and snarky attitude with all the craziness around him that endears him to us, no? ;)

6. Thea

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Definitely - I love Harry's snarky attitude, and he gets some of the best lines I've read in modern fantasy.:) Some of the exchanges between Harry and Bob are brilliant.:)

I love how there are so many books in the series so far, and quite a few more planned, it seems, with hopefully more short stories. I'd love to see more from the POVs of other characters, too, like Backup and Aftermath.

7. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I agree.

I think Harry and Bob's exchanges are what I love best about the series. Oh so deadpan. :p

8. Thea

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Finished Ghost Story, and now I'm regretting the fact that there's another year to go until the next book. We got the answers to a few questions, and got a few new mysteries in return, too, and whilst it seemed a bit slower, I enjoyed the change of pace. Not quite as good as Changes, but still a really good book.:)

9. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    That's encouraging news. Although I have quite a ways to go before I get to "Ghost Story", I'm glad to hear it didn't bomb. :)