Japanese Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnattblod, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    So, I'm kinda curious, actually my mom is and I couldn't really give a good answer, what is it about Asian culture, mostly Japanese, that interests you, or got you interested? Why has there snacks and literature exploded over here in the West the way it has in the last few decades? Do you think this is going to last? Or will it fizzle out?

Just thought it'd be interesting to talk about it, since a lot of us here have some sort of interest in something from over that way. If you are from Asia, what are your thoughts on how far flung it's gotten?

Please discuss below :)

2. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 3 / -1
    I haven't noticed it here in Sweden! But I do find it a bit strange, just as I find how everyone here likes to make things more "american".

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    I like elements because they are different.

For me one big interest is Anime, especially the older 80-90s stuff when it was more about mechs and spaceships rather than the modern "its another school adventure" type. Animation has always been something I've loved and its a huge shame that the west has basically abandoned it and when they do use it its "for kids" or its reserved for things like South Park - ergo very low quality style and mostly to just let them do graphic stuff for the sake of it.

So things that mix animation and fantasy adventures or space ships or even some of the twisty crazy stories are, to me, great. I'm actually sad that I missed out on a lot of anime growing up as way back then we only had 4 TV channels for years so never had any access to anime. Though I've a feeling at least one Ghibli film appeared but I can never remember which or really even seeing it; I just think that its likely I probably saw one without realising. I actually saw the VHS version of Lensman (which appears to be a harder to track down translation in DVD) and just saw it as another animated film.

4. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    Well, my family's Chinese - I'm the first generation to actually grow up in the US, which makes it feel like I've got a foot in either culture and don't really belong in either one fully. Anime and Manga were more available and easier to find translated than anything Chinese, and were all kid and teen oriented unlike basically anything Chinese, so I used that as a sort of way to come to an understanding of the whole East Asian thing, which is actually pretty consistent regardless whether you're in Japan, Korea or China, the way that most of Western Europe still carries a bit of Rome no matter where you go. As I got deeper into Anime, I found more and more things that I identified with, from customs like taking off shoes at the front door or parents having extremely high educational standards to cultural attitudes about honor, respect and what's "proper" behavior in general. At the same time, it was just different enough that I continued to find it fascinating, without ever really getting old - I could keep on learning more and more about the culture the deeper I got into it, and as I grew up and my perceptions changed, I could see different parts of society. I started out with a fascination for shojo and shonen anime, which progressed to a love for slice-of-life, then to appreciation for rakugo comedy and tsukkomi-boke acts, then to actual aspects of Japanese culture like the linguistic subtleties and turns of phrases and idioms and commonly known short stories, the history of the empire, and most recently, Shinto and Japanese folktales and myths. And now, I'm finally starting to get fascinated, via Japanese culture, with my own Chinese heritage, so it all cycles around, I suppose!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I don't know how much of a Japanese trend is here in Romania. We have our Otaku community, of course, and there are a few cosplayers and the such, but I don't often see other Japanese items around. I don't think it's that much of trend here, though there's been some influence and there certainly are many loving-ainme/manga individuals. There's been this shop that opened recently in Bucharest with special Japanese thematics, but it wasn't impressive, and of course you could buy manga and the such from certain bookshops, but it's not often and you can't find it just anywhere -plus it's bloody expensive!

Having said that, I'll just share my personal experience. There was a lot of anime running on TV years ago, when I was a kid. I remember watching some in German on TV when I was a kid, no idea why it was dubbed in German lol. I watched DBZ, Pokemon, and Digimon as a kid on TV and then there was this special channel for anime, it ran from dunno what hour to dunno what hour in the evening or so. I watched a lot of anime without even knowing what it was, I just assumed it was plain cartoon. I even watched some Romanian Dubbed ones, such as Naruto and Pokemon and Shaman King. I was pretty hyped on it. I remember running back in the house to watch Yu Yu Hakusho when it ran on TV - I adored the opening song and I really wanted to catch it. I didn't have internet at the time, lol. I don't think I've accessed the internet before 2008 tbh. I was raised in the countryside and my folk got me computer quite late, and the internet came even later! :eek: Happy childhood, as you must imagine. Anywho, when I got my hands on the internet I started being even more of an anime enthusiast, I started watching a lot of stuff (and prowling the forums as well LOL! :eek:) and somehow got into this Japanese-anime/manga culture. That is indeed how I made contact with it and I believe that's how most of Romanians got into it -things expanded for some and they started being interested in other areas of Japanese culture.

As far as I am concerned, I am a big fan of certain 'archaic' Japanese concepts (such as samurai, LOL) and I like to read history fiction about the Japanese. I like many things in their culture and I perhaps view it with a certain touch of Fantasy, an imaginative land that has its faults and that it just appears to actually be real! LOL! Very irresponsible of me. I used to listen to a lot of Japanese rock back in the day, though not so much these days. I enjoy watching old Japanese movies (I have a few general favourites that are Japanese, Ozu being one of the masterminds!) and I love the language. And what I love best is probably anime and manga! I grew up with anime in a way, and I continued the 'legacy' through my own means and willpower, it's just a part of me now. I used to attend anime/otaku conventions back in the day and admire beautiful cosplayers.:D

I guess what I'm saying is that... in my case, I'm simply an otaku. I like Japanese stuff a lot! I'm a bit on the exaggerated enthusiast side. :eek:I go as far as possible with it. I like having anime bookmarks for instance. And stuff like that. :D But I wouldn't say that Romanian society is necessarily very Japanese drawn, nor especially Japanese drawn. Just the usual, the same way other cultures might have infiltrated inside our own.

edit: pic's from 2013. I'm the short one! :eek:And yes I'm a girl :eek:.

Attached Files:

6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    You're not as far as you think :D there's many, many layers to otaku :p do you have anime posters and figurines and body pillows and plushies and key chains? :D

7. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I’m a bit out of the poster period because my man won’t compromise to hanging them on the walls :eek: but other than that... :D I’m just missing figurines. Wish I had figurines though. Bloody expensive. I’d rather buy manga:(

8. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    A good figurine is way too pricey for me. I was looking into that Holo one that came out a year or two ago, but I forget how much it cost

9. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    if they're high-quality, too much. but then, if you're THAT into it, then I guess value is subjective - someone is willing to pay that much for a figurine, so.

10. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    For Holo, I'd want a high quality one. For other characters, it wouldn't really matter

11. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    What's interesting is that Japanese culture and Western Culture are part of a feedback loop where they both influence each other. Power Rangers came from Japanese Super Sentai shows, which were originally Spiderman ripoffs (ever notice how Power Ranger's costumes are vaguely similar to Spiderman's?). Pro Wrestling started in America but the Japanese got really into it and made their own style of it, and now many American wrestlers move to Japan for the sake of wrestling there. Gojira (Godzilla) was influenced by King Kong and other classic American monster movies, but eventually American monster movies began to mimic the style of Godzilla.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Which is no surprise when you consider how generation skip happens. King Kong the original inspired many similar films ;but there's now whole generations who grew up without that type of film, which leaves an open gap to re-introduce it to a fresh audience

I'm still waiting for the revival of space/mecha/war/serious anime !!

13. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    I would definitely like to see more "serious anime" as opposed to the shallow Otaku-bait SUPER KAWAII SCHOOLGIRL dramas and the like.

14. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,149 / 5 / -0
    I love Japanese culture. I wish I could speak Japanese and learn more of the mythology in that culture

15. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    no time like the present to learn! :D it's pretty easy learning the alphabet and basic phrases, and if you want to learn mythology, there's actually a surprisingly large amount of accurate shinto-based anime around!

16. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,149 / 5 / -0
    I’ve watched Rurouni Kenshin. Is that accurate? Lol

17. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    ooo, must need to know about these anime. and whether they're on Crunchyroll or not.

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    As an introduction, Spirited Away does a good job, introducing the viewer as well as the main character (well, re-introducing, in the case of Chihiro, at least) to the Shinto world of kami and youkai and obake. As always, I highly recommend the subbed version. Mononoke hime is also an excellent introduction, and more serious in nature. Kamichu!, although cutesy, is also pretty good, and available on Crunchyroll.

After that, there's Hozuki no Reitetsu, Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha, Natsume Yuujin-cho, Gingitsune, Noragami and Kyoukai no Kanata are excellent Shinto-based anime, all of which are available on Crunchyroll :)

Here is a list of other Shinto anime you might look into sometime! :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +430 / 2 / -1
    These are the best anime movies.

20. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    awesome. I will definitely look into them a bit thank you :)