Is this fantasy concept boring and overused now?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by 99ma99, Jul 13, 2017.

1. 99ma99

99ma99 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The idea of royal houses/families fighting for power, which includes going to war with each other. I haven't read many fantasy stories, but that's the central theme of A Song of Ice and Fire and most medieval themed stories.
    The thing is that Asoiaf is one of the only fantasy series I've read and I love it so incredibly much, so every time I come up with an idea for my story, and have similar elements to ASOIAF, I'm always scared that I'm subconsciously copying it blindly.
    But there's a story that's popped into my head and it's escalating into something big, but a huge part of it is having to do with royal families fighting for power for the throne of a kingdom and I feel like it's been used too much and not original anymore.

2. zmunkz

zmunkz Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it is a bit of a running joke among fantasy writers that nobody has developed black powder. But that doesn't matter, it is a trope many people don't balk at because there is so much fascination with castles and kings, so as long as you add something interesting to the trope you'll be fine.

If you find it too overdone, there are plenty of great fantasy books that don't use that setting. Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is set in more of a renaissance time period, and is otherwise a full fantasy.

3. Pen

Pen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    black powder has been used in a few fantasy worlds. honestly i don't see any issue using it. as long as it has restrictions.

4. SteamBoy

SteamBoy Crazy tinkerer and alchemist

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes steampunk and fantasy are mixed, so, it also justifies the use of machines, powder, electricity and even advanced machines.
    I think it was called technomagics

5. Pen

Pen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hell arcanepunk is a thing