Is there any place to learn actual sword fighting?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Shackles, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Shackles

Shackles New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So i live down in California in the SF bay area and I've taken fencing a little bit but what i really want is to learn actual sword fighting.

I have searched everywhere for lessons but i havn't found anything, we don't even have a sword shop in the immediate area. I know that there has to be some place to learn, any ideas?

2. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Google SCA and your area, you should find something :) There are groups all across the States, so finding one shouldn't be a problem.

the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) will teach you proper technique etc, but the swords you will use are wooden - which allow you to go full force and full speed and yet not actually kill your opponent :)

If you are interested in the SCA pm me and let me know, I can probably hook you up if you're having troubles.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well, nothing short of a western martial arts group will teach you REAL swordfighting techniques.....but SCA or metal weapons groups will let you pick your flavour of compromise :) Shop around for different groups, when you see how wildly different they can be, one will take your fancy.

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    There are a wide variety or groups actively attempting to reconstruct European Medieval and/or Renaissance martial arts (including sword fighting) from surviving fencing manuals dating from the late 13th Century to the 17th.

Check outhttp://www.thearma.org/ and http://www.hemac.org/. That should be enough to get you started. There are many other groups varying in tone and intent, in scholarship and methodology. This is a very new subject of study, and we are only starting to understand how our ancestors fought.

5. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Pffft don't start that again :p

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Actually, nothing short of time travel to study under Fiore would teach REAL swordfighting techniques. Try not to come back with the plague.

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Back Stick-girl, back I say! I've got a pruning saw and a can opener and I'm not afraid to use them! :D

8. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I've got your back Mub, I've get my circular saw, and jigsaw :D

9. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Pffft, I'll take you all down with my "fake" stick skills. Just you wait!

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Senekha, you know you could pick up real stick skills playing hockey.

11. ErichBeller

ErichBeller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Compare:

vs.

12. Grimsby

Grimsby New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try this:

http://academyofarms.com/info/location.html

If you're looking for some books on the subject try looking for books on German or Italian Longsword, Sword and Shield Scottish Swordsmanship or George Silver.

There are several retailers out there but being new I am cautioned about posting links.

Take a look around and see what type of swordsmanship you're interested in: longsword (typically a hand and a 1/2 type) single handed (plus or minus buckler/parrying dagger, baskethilt or other.

All have similar footwork but the blade action is different based on the type of and length of sword.

You may also want to view a copy of the new film "Reclaiming the Blade" which discusses the reaquired knowledge of Europeon swordsmanship.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Even the second more historical video is still a compromise because nobody actually gets killed, and they both pass up opportunities for winning blows due to the high risk of serious injury or death due to using steel weapons.

SCA fighting is usually blunt force trauma not blade/edge work as such.

Metal weapons groups like mine are more about fun, speed and control than power or authentic fighting techniques.

So as I've always said, choose your favourite level of compromise, coz unless someone with a sword actually tries to kill you, and you are armed and armoured and have license to kill that crazy mofo, you will never get to put your lethal knowledge to use.

14. ErichBeller

ErichBeller New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah, but you could just as easily make that argument about any martial arts training. There's nothing stopping you from learning historical technique with the appropriate weapons/body parts even if you never get the chance to actually be in a real swordfight. And, to be honest, that's the first time that I've ever heard a steel weapons fighter say it's more about fun than authentic technique.

It's not uncommon for a historical fencing group to use a number of different kinds of weapons, including wooden/padded practice gear to allow full-contact sparring as well as training without armor. I know mine did (I haven't been with them for a few years due to circumstances). The steel weapons were for developing control while the sparring was for reflexes and timing. Test-cutting with steel weapons is a good way to hone technique, also.

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm refering to my re-enacting group, not ARMA-style groups.

I do like shinai, they have a good heft to them so they feel right in the hands, you can whack full force but their flexibility means they don't break bones. With fencing masks and some basic body armour you can do face/neck thrusts, full force blows and grappling without many of the risks of steel weapons.

Sigh....if only I had more time and money.....on the other hand, my swords don't cuddle me as much as my daughter does so it's not all bad :)

16. GuardianArt

GuardianArt New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
Search tags for this page
bay area sword fighting
real sword fighting classes san francisco
sword fighting bay area

sword fighting classes bay area

sword technique classes bay area