Is the Ring self aware?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by MeltingRoses, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm writing an essay on the Ring and that it truly is a real character in the story and its relationships with the other characters. Does anyone have any thoughts a bout how to prove that the Ring is attempting to take its own steps!?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +644 / 3 / -1
    The ring itself is empowered with much of Sauron's own strength and mentality - so much so that when broken from him it leaves him shattered and broken. However I would argue that whilst the ring might contain his powers it has less self awareness and I would liken it more to a purely instinctive object than one with its own mind and will.

It shows self preservation and exerts its influence in a manner that allows it to hide its presence during the long time that it is waiting for its "masters" return. However it makes no move to impose its own will, as such, upon those it ensnares. It corrupts them there is no doubt about that, but its more like removing the barriers and promoting that persons own inner feelings - their own inner darkness if you will - rather than Saurons own personal kind of darkness.
    Thus you get creatures like Golum who hide and wait in the darkness, but unlike the Dark lords ghost that survives, the ring and Golum make no move to actively fortify or build any power base - things that Sauron or an essence of him would be moved to do.

Once however Sauron starts to call out to the ring the ring itself responds and tries to pull the user of the ring back toward its master - not quite a display of inner inteligence in my book but again more of an instinctive desire to return this part of a shattered creature to the whole. Again it is Sauron who is far more individual in restoring his power. Further the rings corruption without a driving will behind it can backfire - just as we see with Golum the ring wants to return to its master, but Golum does not let it do so - showing that its Golum's own inner darkness that is "unleashed" rather than the rings own over him. In the books we hear more of this as we hear of Golums time with the elves and how they try to "cure" him of the rings influence.

So an object with a power to itself yes and some concept of self preservation, but I don't think its possessed of its own mind - the only will it can impose is that of its master and even then it appears to only be able to impose more control the closer it becomes to the source of its master.

3. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I definetly agree to what you're saying Overread, but wouldn't you say the Ring attempts to corrupt people in power more than the ordinary evil object? It seems to me that the Ring purposefully tries to get into hands that will do more damage with it. Yes it was stuck with Gollum, but it did end up escaping him when it realized that Gollum wasn't going to leave the mountains. From then on it seemed to want to be found by more powerful people and only those with strong wills of their own were able to disobey its wishes.

4. Vishwanath

Vishwanath New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What happened to the ring after it left Smeagol Tolkien has tried to put across as things that were meant to happen or the will of eru and not the ring,but ring did manage to escape Isiuldur and even Sauron when he power was overthrown it ensured it's survival and hence Sauron's..

5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The Ring was in a way aware, as it was imbued by the power of Sauron. It was not aware like a conscience however; that was being controlled by Sauron himself.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    You should not think of the Ring as self-aware.
    I think it's more appropriate to regard it as a cursed object, or an artifact that is malevolent by nature.

7. DavidJae

DavidJae New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Ring has no concept of 'I', so it isn't truly self-aware. Animals can make decisions, but those come from instinct. Harry Potter is a good example of this, where magically-embued objects give the appearance of life and thought. Any intelligence the Ring seems to posses comes from the small portion of Sauron's will, but it's like a computer following it's programming.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +644 / 3 / -1
    Actually that's a pretty old theory and is mostly disproved to various extents. In fact the concept of choice itself is one that can be debated as to if humans even have choice at all or just the illusion of choice itself (further more whilst we build and artificial world around us we still have a lot of instinctive parts to us as well).