Iraqi Sovereignty

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by byzantine warrior, Jun 28, 2004.

1. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Do you guys think the Handover of power will work or not? lets see some opinions!!

2. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Re: Iraqi sovreighnty

I bet it won't really matter but we will have to wait and see.

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

I think that once they have an election or two and taste real freedom, they will take off the kid gloves dealing with those thugs. Something we are reluctant to do. As for the handover itself... they seem pretty competent... As long as the Kurds dont try to secede and the Shi'is dont try to rule with an iron fist they should have a good chance. Id like to see the UN help out since Syria and Iran are trying to influence things.

4. Ejp414

Ejp414 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It will eventually work, I'd think, but it definately won't be easy... it definately won't be a quick "in and out" process either.

Even when things get "better", it still won't be as nice as many are expecting it to be, I'm sure.

5. Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Lady Swartt Sixclaw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

probably not, but we'll see.

6. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0

Well, we can't expect immediate results. These things take time. But it'll work out.

7. Loki the Demon

Loki the Demon "Belgium, Man!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Check out this interpretation of Iraqi sovereignty. Hur Hur hur.

Attached Files:

8. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

:D :D interesting interpretation! I cant wait for saddam to go on trial!!! the Iraqis look pretty PO'd

9. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

It seems like the Iraqis are aware of the farce that is the trial of milosovich. They are setting up rules for the number of witnesses and time allotment. A good idea since milosovich's trial might hit 4 years.

Anybody know when the iraqi election is scheduled?

10. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

sometime in january I think if Bush allows it :rolleyes:

11. Nohmanpimp04

Nohmanpimp04 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey i think that democracy works but it going to take time like everything else would. When the exacute Saddam like u know they are thats a given he is not going to live after the trial no matter what. But jordan has offered help as form of military assistance.

12. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

"When the exacute Saddam like u know they are thats a given he is not going to live after the trial no matter what"

Dont be so sure, Milosovic killed tens of thousands but it looks like he might get a lenient sentence. If the UN gets involved in the trial ... watch it become a joke.

It will still be a great experience... just wait for it: Time Life Presents : The Trial of the Century : Iraq vs Saddam Hussein : 20 DVD set, The best witnesses, Evidence exhibits, Exclusive photographs, and the complete testimony of Saddam himself. Only 25 bimonthly payments of 9.95 each.
    Buy now and get FREE "Farenheit 911" and the documentary "WMD and Iraq : Fact or Fiction?"

13. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

:D here are a few words from my arab friend" Trial? You mean The Circus? Where saddams lawyers will defend his crimes. Allah have mercy on those who defend this villian" I think saddam will not escape justice

14. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

found this in National review

We are now 16 months into the Iraq war. At a similar stage in earlier American wars, how were our forces faring?

Well, at about this point in the French and Indian Wars, George Washington had been defeated and forced to surrender at Fort Necessity (he was released after being disarmed), and then disastrously beaten in a fight where his unit of 1,400 men took 900 casualties and ended up running away. (Washington himself was not injured but had two horses shot from under him, and took four bullets through his coat.)

Washington's next experience of war, in the American Revolution, began with equal tribulation. Sixteen months into his command, the American army was suffering through a series of traumatic defeats. They'd lost every single battle since the Declaration of Independence, and had depleted 90 percent of their military strength in heavy fighting. Most of the remaining soldiers declared they were going to go home when their enlistments expired, and in many parts of the new nation citizens were pledging fresh oaths of allegiance to the tyrant King George.

Sixteen months into the Civil War, a permanent breakaway of the southern states looked like imminent reality. The Union army that marched on Richmond had been beaten with tens of thousands of casualties. Robert E. Lee had launched an invasion of the north, and Washington, D.C. was on the brink of being overrun.

Sixteen months into U.S. involvement in World War II, the Japanese had taken control of all of the Pacific and Southeast Asia. Our British allies had suffered the most catastrophic defeat in their history when they lost 130,000 fighting men in Singapore. The Japanese had just as thumpingly ejected the U.S. from the Philippines, and were actually in their tenth month of occupying American soil in Alaska. It would take 1,000 American dead (far more than our total losses in Iraq to date) merely to eject the enemy from this Aleutian Island foothold over the course of a few days in the seventeenth month of the war.

At month 16 of the war in Europe, meanwhile, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Yugoslavia, and other countries had all been lost. German submarines were in the process of wiping out Atlantic shipping. And death camps like Treblinka had been opened and were in the process of killing millions. By the end of that year, 40 percent of the world's Jews, for instance, would be dead.

We have had some tough moments in Iraq this year. But we must remember that every war has tough stages and low points that victorious nations must grind through. The difference between civilizations that triumph and civilizations that surrender is often simply a matter of keeping your determination and fighting spirit intact through the down days. I've spent months embedded with combat troops in Iraq over the last year, so I realize there is nothing easy about any of this. But there some challenges in life that simply cannot be evaded.

It took years for the U.S. to launch humane democracy in Germany and Japan after World War II. In just 16 months in Iraq we have made great progress--as I report at length in a new book built on detailed firsthand observation of the counterinsurgency and reconstruction. The Shiite middle that is going to dominate Iraq has stuck with us through many travails. An encouraging interim government is beginning to take responsibility for the country's fate, with wide support from everyday Iraqis. An economic bloom is unfolding. There is a surge of new information, freedom, and opportunity never before seen in Iraq. These plants will bear previously unseen fruit in the parched sands of greater Arabia, and ultimately make America safer.

Has the price been too high? The casualty rate in Iraq, Max Boot has noted, has been 1.5 percent of all troops serving in the theater. That compares to 6.2 percent in Vietnam, and 6.5 percent in World War II. The terrorists, though, believe modern Westerners have lost the fortitude needed to sustain a nasty fight. "One thing is for sure: the extremists have faith in our weakness," noted Tony Blair recently. "And the weaker we are, the more they will come after us."

15. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

See all hope is not lost. Modern westeners may be a little "soft" but noware near wimpy! The extremists are running out of excuses. there finally realising that theyre time is running out. BTW did you know that The extremists do not conider greeks westeners??? I wonder why??

16. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

Since Rome was the foundation of the western culture and it included parts as far east as turkey, all those should be considered western in my mind. Since greece taught them how, there shouldnt even be question about greeks being western.

17. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Exactly! that is why I wonder I guess they mean we are not in western Europe. (Back on topic) I dont know If any of you remember but the first Bush called saddam "The new Hitler" thats all he is! I bet he will win the trial the ^%^&!@#!!!! And now Innocent people are being killed in a (Iraqi controlled) country will it ever stop?

18. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

The american lawyer for Saddam (apparently he has a lot of them) is using western defense tactics:

http://www.asahi.com/english/world/TKY200407060109.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/iraq/20040709-0635-saddamslawyer.html

I especially love this quote:

19. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

How can anyone defend that man!!! And what kind of stupid lame quote is that! If the army is the most powerful how can you not feel potected by them! Cowards how about he becomes a soldier no soldier should be called a coward unless he deserts or runs in a engagement. what a fooL!!!!!

20. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#@*&%^$#*&@#$&^%$#&*^%$#@#%!!!!!!!!!

Ok now that I got that out of my system, What kind of a #*&%^$@ %*@#^$# is this idiot? Oops sorry about that!

What kind of person would not only be willing to defend Saddam but make such comments about his own country? Apparently Shakespeare was right about lawyers!