Interregnum: The Enemy Within - a Fantasy Role-playing Game

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Utterly Unhinged, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Utterly Unhinged

Utterly Unhinged He knows you know.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Interregnum: The Enemy Within​

976 Common Era: King Aethelred is dying. After sixty years of ruling the Kingdom of Tyran with an iron fist, the vultures have begun to circle. With no legitimate heir to take the King's place, the nobles have started vying with each other to place their own preferred candidate on the throne. In the countryside, the peasants at last spy a chance to throw off the shackles of the old order and create the Kingdom anew.

Yet they are not the only ones seeking change. Outside the kingdom's borders, the nation of Karnak readies its war machine. The two nations have cultivated a festering hatred for each other which stretches over centuries, and now the Golden Emperor of that desert land sees an opportunity to rid himself of this thorn in his side once and for all.

To the north, the Dwarven Kingdoms high in the Northron Mountains watch events with avaricious eyes while they ponder how best to turn this situation to their advantage.

In the forests of the west, the Elves look on in dismay. They know what the consequences of war would be, and have no desire to become embroiled in human affairs. The Queen of the Elven Kingdoms struggles with a dilemma, however: should she and her people sit on the sidelines and risk letting the upcoming storm consume the continent, or should the Elves intervene in the world of Men and risk imperilling their own existence?

Into this world of treachery and uncertainty the players are thrown. A world on the brink of war, a world where friend and enemy are often indistinguishable, a world where death may strike at any moment...

This is the premise for Interregnum: The Enemy Within. Players, should they decide to take part, may choose to play peasants or nobles or anything in between. The only restrictions on characters are:
    a) they should be drawn from the above races and nations alone.
    b) character classes should be in keeping with the time period i.e. early medieval. Anachronism should be avoided at all costs (in other words, no muskets, crossbows or kung-fu moves).

And that's about it. If anyone's interested, sign up here. If not, I'll cry myself to sleep.:p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. The Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine Grumpy Old Git

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    God's cods, you work fast. I thought it would be a couple of days before you came up with something.:p Anyway, it sounds good to me, so if it gets up and running I'll have a go.:)

3. Utterly Unhinged

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's what my wife says...:(:D

4. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Nice sales pitch. Very well written. If you get the go ahead and enough people, I may well be interested.

5. Utterly Unhinged

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Rob! Chaos has given me permission to start the rpg in the WDD section, so if enough people join the game we can get posting straight away.:)

6. Utterly Unhinged

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Some idle thoughts on character creation for those who may not have played an rpg before:

Regarding Alignment
    Your character's Alignment refers to his general outlook on life and provides a basis from which you determine how your character acts when dealing with other individuals. There are three general categories of alignment. The first depends on how a character treats friends and close associates (is he Sociable or Antisocial?). The second is how a character views the organization and laws of civilization (is he Lawful or Unlawful?). The last is how a character views the world and how he reacts to pleas of mercy (is he Good or Evil?). In any or all of these categories a character may simply not care. In such a case, he is Neutral in that classification. Detailed descriptions of the alignment classifications are as follows:

Sociable
    A Sociable character befriends others through his trustworthy nature. He helps any other character in desperate need if possible. Sociable characters also expect others to aid them in their times of need.

Antisocial
    An Antisocial character uses characters to suit his own needs. He quickly picks fights with those standing in his way. Of course, he may act highly sociable as long as it serves his purposes.

Lawful
    A Lawful character obeys the rules and restrictions put upon him by governments. Others rightly trust him in legally binding agreements. Some Lawful characters may try to change laws they disagree with to further their own causes. Of course, if one enters a country with vastly different moral outlooks than those of his homeland, he may rebel.

Unlawful
    An Unlawful character disregards the laws put forth by governments. He has no reservations about robbing a bank or store. These characters see no reason to follow any legal restrictions and do solely as they please.

Good
    A Good character has mercy on those who ask and deserve it. He serves justice and demonstrates kindness to all he meets. Good characters defend villages from evil and save fair maidens from ravening ogres. Conversely, a good aligned character more easily gets help when needed. Defending a town from an angry dragon endears a character to those townsfolk saved.

Evil
    An Evil character delights in the misery of others. He strives for personal power and allows no sense of mercy or justice to interfere with gaining it. Glory and wealth are the major aims of an evil character but his methods may seem perfectly innocent on the surface.

A character's alignment therefore, could read as follows: Sociable/Lawful/Good or Antisocial/Lawful/Evil, or any permutation in between.

Literacy
    Although most people read and write in today's society,only lucky individuals could do so in early medieval times. Therefore, written messages may seem like scribbling to many characters even though the players are themselves quite literate. Of course, some classes teach their members this art. Wizards and magi must understand their spell books and many priests study holy works and hymns. Nevertheless, literacy is not guaranteed for many others.

The character profile will therefore look like this:
    Name:
    Alignment:
    Literacy:
    Physical appearance:
    History:
    Equipment:

Some examples of character classes to choose from (but feel free to create your own):

Assassin
    Comfortable around and with the use of weapons, stealthy, knows how to fight, possesses some survival skills, and may have some experience with poisons. Literacy: Medium.

Farmer
    Understands crops and planting, the tools associated with farms and farming, has some livestock experience, is familiar with village or small town life, and has some experience with bazaars and haggling. Literacy: Low.

Fisherman
    Has knowledge of fishing and fishing boats (specify fresh or salt water, as well as inland, coastal, or deep sea regions), can use ropes and has experience with knots, has some general repair skills, and some experience with bazaars and haggling. Literacy: Low.

Jack of All Trades
    Has general repair and light construction skills, and some experience with bartering and trading. Literacy: Low.

Mage
    Is familiar with the concepts of magic, has some knowledge of basic to intermediate spell casting. Literacy: High.

Mercenary/Soldier
    Familiar with some category or type of weapon, possesses fighting skills, has knowledge of basic or intermediate first aid, experienced in bartering and haggling, and possesses stealth or hiding skills as well as basic survival skills. Literacy: Low.

Merchant
    Is familiar with markets, market values, trading customs and trade routes of one or more specific geographical areas, is experienced in advanced bartering, trading, and haggling, possesses some sort of weapon or basic fighting skill. Literacy: Medium.

Musician/Artist/Dancer
    Is familiar with the processes of the artist’s medium (dance steps, movements, etc. for a dancer/paint types, techniques for a painter, etc.), is familiar with notable personages within the character's field of study as well as the history of that field of study, possesses basic bartering, trading, or haggling skills, and very basic survival skills. Literacy: High.

Noble
    Is familiar with the laws, customs, and traditions of a specific land or geographical region, speaks several languages, has experience discerning and judging the quality of goods, has good knowledge of heraldry, is experienced in the art of diplomacy, and possesses some tactical or strategic skills. Literacy: High.

Prisoner/Slave
    Has skills related to prison-survival, possesses knowledge of the laws and customs of a particular land or territory, has the ability to speak several languages, the ability to pick locks or pockets, and the ability to escape from bonds. Literacy: Low.

Sailor/Pirate
    Familiar with the tools and techniques of life aboard ship, has experience working with rope and knots, with general repair techniques, possesses the ability to speak several languages, has some brawling skills, knowledge of the laws and customs of several lands, and the knowledge required to navigate a ship by starlight or other means. Literacy: Medium.

Scholar
    Possesses skills of reading and writing in more than one language, has experience within a specific field of study (flora, fauna, history, archaeology, etc.), the ability to barter or trade, basic survival skills, and knowledge of the laws and customs of one or more lands. Literacy: High.

Scout/Ranger
    Experienced in tracking and finding trails, familiar with outdoor survival techniques (possibly advanced survival techniques), has skills in caring for one or more types of mount, possesses knowledge of the laws and customs of more than one land, and the ability to converse in and read more than one language. Literacy: High.

Thief
    Familiar with sleight of hand and lock picking, has stealth and hiding skills, knowledge of the laws and customs of a particular city or territory, and experience bartering and haggling. Literacy: Medium.

Tradesperson
    Familiar with the tools and techniques associated with a specific trade, familiar with the market pricing associated with that trade, has considerable bartering and trading skills. Literacy: Medium.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff, UU. Helpful to anyone unfamiliar with the rpgs. And at least you've put some thought into what you're doing, unlike some spamsuckers.:D

8. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'm still working on my next post for WDD, but when that's done I'll be happy to take part in this.

9. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am in the same boat as TFS here I believe. However, I will start putting some ideas down on paper for this. Not sure about how my posting speed will go, as this will make 3 rpg's on this site. Not to mention real life issues.

10. Utterly Unhinged

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Not to worry. There's hasn't exactly been an enthuiastic rush from people to sign up. Maybe it's worth putting the idea on ice for a while until other rpgs have come to an end, then everyone'll have more time to devote to it. There's no point everybody spreading themselves thin.:)

11. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ok. My brain has been conjuring up idea's half the morning, so I will save what I have for later. Still is a well thought out idea, and your opening premise you wrote is very professional. Hope it happens one day.

12. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    That's a shame. I think it has the potential to be a proper, grown-up rpg. Hopefully enough intelligent people will sign up for it in the coming weeks to make it viable.

13. KazeWarrior

KazeWarrior Whoa what

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting idea. I'd like to join, since a certain other *cough cough* RPG has went off and died miserably.
    Ehs, that probably means I need to start thinking up another character... oh bother. :|

14. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Unhinged appears to be on holiday, and the rest of us are involved in other rpgs. It'll probably be quite a while before this rpg gets up and running...

15. Nomina Sunt Odiosa

Nomina Sunt Odiosa The Red under your bed...

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Pity about that. I quite fancy getting my teeth into a good old-fashioned fantasy type thing. Oh well, if UU returns it might still get resurrected.

16. The Chaos Engine

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    If WDD ever comes to a natural conclusion we could always think about starting up a fantasy rpg. That'll be way in the future, though, unless everyone suddenly drops out of WDD. In which case I'll have to hunt each one of you down and stab you with a sharp stick.

17. Nomina Sunt Odiosa

Nomina Sunt Odiosa The Red under your bed...

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'll stab you right back. In the eye. Forcefully. Multiple times.

18. Celticberserker

Celticberserker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most definitely interested.

19. Utterly Unhinged

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully, if a few more people express an interest in joining, it will finally get up and running.:)

20. Loxley

Loxley Pervert adventurer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I could stand joining this RP if it got up and running. :D