Indy Nashville Writer

Discussion in 'Greetings!' started by DMeredith, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I look forward to it. I really dig Japanese mythology and story telling. They have a subtle approach to it all that very much appeals to me. Oh, and we already have a talented bunch of writers here on TFF, so it's great that you can join in. As I previously stated, I've been enjoying S.J.'s work immensely. I've yet to give her some feedback on it but that's because I'm such a freaking slow reader. LOL

You're welcome!

Miyazaki is my favourite film maker. I have loved every single one of his films so far except for The Wind Rises (I've yet to see this). He also wrote and drew a manga for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind which is simply stunning to look at. It's my favourite comic book series of all time. If you haven't seen it then I thoroughly recommend that you track a copy down. Oh, and if you haven't heard of Mamoru Hosoda, then I highly recommend that you track down some of his films too. He's directed the likes of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Summer Wars, and Wolf Children (which I've yet to see). I think he's shaping up to be an exceptional talent too.

2. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like Nausica. Of course I don't see how I couldn't. It was really Studio Ghibli's first - Not liking it would be like not liking the original Snow White! The only Ghibli movies that I thought were a little weak were Tales from Earthsea (It REALLY deviated from the original story so much that I barely recognized it) and Ponyo (I just thought he was trying too hard to make another My Neighbor Totoro. Hal's Moving Castle is GREAT though. I'll have to check out Mamoru Hosoda, though. I think I've heard the name, but don't know his stuff too well.

3. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Nausicaa of the valley of the Wind is up there with my favourites. Didn't really enjoy Howl's moving castle though. Thought it was too disney-like.

4. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's Disney-style really. Calcifer didn't sing or anything after all. It was supposed to be more than a little tongue in cheek (if you read the novel it is based on it has a real Neil Gayman-esque sarcastically irreverent tone - that's lost a little, ironically, in the English dub from Japanese). I think it more closely resembles Porko Roso than, say for example, Aladdin. I will admit though that I like it better in Japanese, and that a lot of the humour that's there in Japanese doesn't translate well into English - even though as dubs go, I think this one is pretty good. I will admit though that it has been a while since Miyazaki has done anything that was really serious. I wish he would. He does it well.

5. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Hello! *waves* Welcome to TFF! :devilbat: ALWAYS glad to meet a fellow author! :)