Indy Nashville Writer

Discussion in 'Greetings!' started by DMeredith, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thought I'd come on here and try to get involved with a community - meet people with similar interests, shamelessly pander in the hopes of hawking my newest novel on Amazon to more people, etc. :) Seriously though, I am an Indy Writer in Nashville and just published a new novel on Amazon. At the moment I'm taking a few free moments (meeting got canceled) to contemplate my wasted life, unrequitted dreams/hopes/longings, potential book promotion ideas that I have not already thought of, the Universe and the answer to everything.

In the process I've also come to the conclusion that I like writing books a whole lot better than promoting them, but I guess it's just part of the deal when you try to go the independant route. I AM my marketing department. :p

2. Narayan

Narayan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! :) (It is Meredith right?) I don't think I've had a chance to chat with a published author before. Congrats on that. It's funny I remember writing a poetic little short story about Snow White once. Seems like a lifetime ago but I might still have it in a notebook somewhere.

3. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Close enough :) . It's based on a short story I wrote a while back that won Moderator's Choice a few years ago on Elfwood. So far it has been pretty well received. There haven't been a ton of reviews yet, but the ones I've got back have all been good. It's still at 5 stars on Amazon! :D It's called "The Reflections of Queen Snow White"

It's honestly a little bit of a publishing/marketing test run before I decide what to do with my Japan-based series - I've been working on those books since late 2004. The first trilogy is finally done, but I've put so much time into it, I want to really make sure that I take it in the right direction.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to TFF! I think you'll fit in just fine here! :)

5. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I hope so! Do you write? Or are you more of the reader/gamer type?

6. Narayan

Narayan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Snow White lay on a bed of flowers deep inside the forest. Sunlight streamed through the branching eves of large oaks spotting her white skin with golden color. She wore a silk dress patterned in shimmering scales. Honey-bee's hovered above her hair, scented with jasmine oils, black as night; adorned with diamond-studded hairpins that glittered like stars around her face, pale as moonlight.

Her hands were clasped on her chest, rising so softly with each breath that it not disturb the butterflies that landed upon her fingers to rest. Her lips were pink like rose petals, softly shaped into a smile revealing a sweetness that could only be found inside the mind of a lady so pure with joy, that all the worries of her heart had been settled.

Her form was so beautiful, so flawless and so still that if could only be compared to a precious jewel. And yet she gave off such heat and warmth of spirit... if she were confused for a vision of pure fantasy that illusion would disappear as soon as you come near it.

Her heart was still beating and she was not moving, but suddenly her eyes fluttered open. A kiss given out of pure love had broken the spell. "My prince!" She said. "At last you have come to free me of this curse!"

"Nay fair lady." The prince replied. "I am not real you must still be dreaming. For while you are sleeping I cannot waken you with a kiss. Go back to sleep and soon you will realize the truth of this."

And so she remains in a perfect trance. Her heart continues beating and still she dreams of romance.

Ohhh a japan based series? what era? I love medieval Japan I've always been a fan of it :)

7. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Welcome to the Abyss mwahaha...

8. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Actually, I write and draw a webcomic that you can find over here.

I don't read as much as I used to, which is something that needs to change. I tend to do a LOT of work on my comic, so I don't even game that much any more either. I've never been good at juggling a number of interests very effectively. Ah well... :D

9. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I know just what you mean. I have a novel up on Amazon right now, but I only actually started that one in January of this year. My major project is actually a series I started in Dec. of 2004. I finished the first draft of what would eventually become the first three volumes in Oct. of 2006 and have been editing and revising ever since (It's a fantasy series based on Japanese legend and mythology). That tends to suck up all of my time. I'm way behind on my reading too. I'll try to check out your comic though.

10. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Checked out your site a little bit. It's some interesting stuff. It strikes me as a little melancholy and synical, but darkly humorous and more than just a little sensitive. Especially the ghost stuff feels really interesting. The very rounded, cartoon variety art matched with a more macabre, serious theme is a neat combination. It reminds me a little of Bone in that way, or maybe even Tezuka Osamu (especially like in Metropolis)

11. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I think I'm going to love you, my friend. You just mentioned two of my favourite things when it comes to comics. Bone is an extraordinary and entertaining work. I own the complete one volume edition, and it's amazing stuff. And Tezuka Osamu is one of my all time favourite comic artists. Seriously. He's up there with Charles M. Schulz and Tove Jansson for me. I'm reading through a recently released collection of his called Atom Cat, and it's just terrific. His Adolf series was fantastic too.

I'm reading through S.J. Faerlind's books at the moment. She frequents this forum, and she's fantastic to chat with. With your writing adventures you both may have a fair bit to talk about! And I love the idea of your story having an asian flavour to it. It sounds like you might be fond of Japanese culture, eh? Would I be correct in this assumption?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just a bit, yeah. :) I lived in Japan (Tohoku Area, Nothern Japan - mostly in Shinjo City, Yamagata Prefecture) for nearly a decade all together between 1999 and 2010. Two of my three kids were born there (my oldest is native speaker fluent) and though I'm not doing it right now, I'm certified to teach Japanese as a Foreign Language in public school.

Shinjo is famous for traditional story telling and actually has a big festival every August (27-29 I think) where every neighborhood gets together to build these huge lighted parade floats that depict scenes from folktales, mythology, local legends, and just a little history. Then they drag them all through the city while drinking copious amounts of alcohol for three days. I really got into it while I was there and studied the local dialect too. The more I did both I kept thinking - why don't we have fantasy novels including this stuff? I mean, there's tons of it in anime and manga, so I don't know why we haven't seen more crossover in fantasy lit. My current novel on Amazon (The Reflections of Queen Snow White) is more traditional - just kind of an effort to test the publishinng waters myself - but I'm hoping to release my major project in some way, form, or fashion within a year.

13. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh and about S J Faerlind... Thanks for the heads up. I'll definnitely try to talk to her. What's her handle on here? Maybe I've seen her around.

14. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I got into a lot of old Tezuka Osamu stuff while I was in Japan. My daughter was reading a series from her school library (and I've forgotten the title now) about an orphan boy, scraping by to survive in post WWII Japan and I borrowed it from her austensibly to practice my Japanese reading - "Funnies" it is not and it really kind of opened me up to the idea that "cartoons" don't have to be for kids. Animation does NOT equal Disney and it can be a really powerful medium for telling adult stories too. I tend to read kinda kid level stuff (Soul Eater, Fairy Tale, Inuyasha, Doraemen, etc.) but that has more to do with my Japanese language reading level than anything else. I was introduced to Bone by a friend still living in the US, and really liked it, although I only read the first few issues (they were kinda hard to come by in rural Japan :) ) but I've always meant to finish it. In film anime, I also have a deep and abiding love for all things Miyazaki (Hayao not Goro - Uhhhh.... was Ged [Tales From Earthsea] a disaster!) and artistically still think Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (aka. Spirited Away) is the best, most beautifully drawn animated movie ever made. Although Tokyo Godfathers comes a very, very close second, but that's more because of its excellent, emotional story.

15. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Hellloooooooo! Welcome to TFF :)

You should come join us scribe-types down in the scribe's house (scroll waayyyy down). We're even in the middle of this year's short story contest if you want to check it out and join us next year for some more good fun.
    Japanese mythology is cool! I had to do a Japanese mythology based short story once for a contest on Wattpad.com . It was based on the legend of the sun-goddess Amaterasu. I don't think it was one of my best short stories but I had a ton of fun with it anyway. :)

16. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  17. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Let's try that again...
    Yeah, I think I'll do that! Thanks :) I might want to pick your brain for marketing tips. I'm kinda limping my way through the marketing mire right now, but my results have only been so-so. I look forward to talking with you more!

18. DMeredith

DMeredith New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm not seeing "The Scribe's House" is it under groups?

19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Nope... the forum is divided into major sections. The one you want is the "Fantasy Forum Houses" Section. The Scribe's House is in the middle of that section. The short story contest is in the "Original Works" subsection. Stuff posted in the scribes house goes "away" quickly (ie: you have to tell the forum that you want to see older threads to see anything posted over 30 days ago) but there are controls at the bottom of the screen for selecting how far back you want to look. Have fun!

20. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Also: check your "Notifications" button (scroll to the top of any page and look in the top right corner area). I sent you a private message.