Impressions of Book 6!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jessehk, Jul 16, 2005.

1. koalaboy

koalaboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i tihkn on whole the book was class but she was made to rush the end by her publishers so they cud get it out on the right date but im sure she will make uyp for it on the 7th it shud b gr8 !

2. Tarantio

Tarantio Naruto Fan!

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I finished it in 5 hours on the day it came out....I know it was a long time ago but still. And maybe the ghosts can chew gum, just not digest them? Probably not though...

3. WarriorDrgnMage

WarriorDrgnMage Kuro Ryuu

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I liked it. I also like the fifth book. It seems that I like the books that alot of people hate anyways....

I like the way that JK didn't leave characters like Tonks, Luna and Renus by the wayside when she was done with what they need to accomplish in the fifth book alot of authors tend to do that. I also like that Harry was willing to accept help from people besides Ron and Hermione. And the horcruxes is just brilliant I think

4. Via_Amarth

Via_Amarth Wicked Me

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    that's exactly how I felt yesterday after finishing it! Exactly!

And about the moaning myrtle thing, couldn't it be that beacuse(I don't know if I'm right by this) she's some sort of air that it presses away the water and that it splashes to leave room for the air? well I dunno...just a theory...

5. SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon Of the Fae

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Frankly, I enjoyed the fifth book more. I thought the pacing in six was sort of unbalanced. Because of this, the ending didn't make as much of an impact on me as it probably should have. But I definitely did enjoy the book as a whole, and the series is still one of my favorites. Can't wait 'till book seven.

6. Duvodas

Duvodas New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    J. K. Rowling + Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince= Biggiest disappoinment in 2006!

7. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed the book immensely. Actually I enjoyed all the books. of course my favs are GoF and up.
    My question is how is Harry going to defeat Voldemorte if he cannot get a spell passed Snape?
    Something is going to have to happen in the seventh book that makes Harry's skill's greatly improve.
    Maybe the whole mission to find Voldemorte will "unleash" something in him.

8. Carline of Crydee

Carline of Crydee Beyond eternity

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I liked book six, but three's still my favourite. Book six was better than book five, but certainly not the best. I wonder how thick book seven is going to be, cause he has to find all those horcruxes and destroy them... seems like a lot of pages to me. :)

9. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I rememeber reading an interveiw saying its still not going to be as thick as book 5

10. Carline of Crydee

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Oh, that's good, cause book five was really thick and it started to get a little boring at a certain amount of pages..

11. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    You think so? I loved the length of book 5, and was disappointed by the length of the sixth.

I agree with what you were saying in your penultimate post, Alchemist. How is Harry going to beat Voldemort? I mean, he hits Bellatrix with the Cruciatus curse at the end of Book 5, and it doesn't have the proper effect because he didn't mean/enjoy doing it, and then in book 6 he couldn't hit Snape if his life had depended on it. Good job it didn't really, and that Snape wasn't counter-attacking (which is perhaps a bit suspiscious...)
    This of course leaves him in pretty poor standing with what he's going to have to do in this last book. I mean, he's the best in his class at DAtDA, but Voldemort is now the most powerful wizard alive. When you think about it realistically, Harry wouldn't stand a chance against some of Voldemort's better Death Eaters, let alone Voldemort himself. I'm honestly struggling to come up with a suitable scenario that would enable Harry to kill Voldemort, and it not be totally unrealistic or lame...I suppose Priori Incantatem may play a role again, but only if Harry's quick enough. I don't know, but whatever happens, I'm confident it'll have a satisfying end, even if I can't quite think what it will be like. I do have some theories, or ideas I think would be good endings I suppose, but we'll have to wait and see!

12. Carline of Crydee

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's not like I hate thick books, it's just that it was going on a little too long about that dream Harry was having. I really liked the ending, though.

About Harry going to kill Voldemort: I think Rowling will come up with something you really won't expect. Something you probably knew, but just didn't expect to happen. (Or maybe they go on in a very long fight and kill eachother and then both be dead, but if we're talking about being realistic...)
    That Priori Incantatem sounds like the most logical one, though.

13. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looks like J.K.R. read too much HP fanfiction while writing the book. Seriously! This volume intrigued me to its last page and I still couldn't decide whether I loved it or whether I was disappointed by it.

Severus Snape. Maybe the most important subject. Call me in denial, but I am still quite sure he's not in Voldemort's service. I'm sure the only reason why he killed Dumbledore was because of the Unbreakable Vow, which, of course, does not lift his guilt. However, I have no doubt that Dumbledore wouldn't have been fooled that easily, only by a so-said well-played role. No, that doesn't convince me. I think he had another reason - much stronger - to rely on someone as "suspicious" as Snape. And I think that reason is the locket Horcrux. Yes, I have a feeling that R.A.B. is, somehow, Snape. Even if that's wrong, though, I still think Snape is not on Voldy's side.

My love for fluffyness was completely satisfied by the romance, until the moment in which Harry tells Ginny it's over just because of his superhero sense. J.K. would deserve me to write her hate mail every day only for that reason.

I was also unsatisfied by the premature (I say) death of Dumbledore and by Harry's desire of not returning to Hogwarts in his seventh year. I think the Hogwarts atmosphere was a major bonus to the books and if in the seventh volume we'll only have little of Hogwarts, then that will be dreadful.

Oh, and Slughorn was absolutely annoying with his eternal "Harry, m'boy!" everywhere...

14. Wing Rider

Wing Rider Psychotic Cybernetica

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This book is a great disappointment. Voldemort does not make an appearance as he had in every other book, and I was under the impression at first that Slughorn was supposed to be a new kind of Umbridge. Where do you get a name like "Slughorn"?
    I also agree with Kalyiel - J.K. Rowling went to a whole lot of trouble to implant in our brains that Snape is NOT in service to Voldemort, and now the story turns just like that? The addition of Felix Felicis was a nice touch, however.
    Another thing: I noticed in the fourth book that when Harry mentions to Dumbledore how Voldemort was able to touch his skin safely, he thinks he glimpses a look of triumph flash through Dumbledore's eyes, but then thinks he's imagined it. I was hoping to discover the real reason, but now it seems I won't, unless Dumbledore comes back to life somehow after being incinerated, or his identical twin...I don't know.

15. Kahlan Amnell

Kahlan Amnell Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I enjoyed the 6th book although a lot of people complained about it. Book 5 was an excellent addition to the series and yes Slughorn should have been canned - he was annoying! Harry let's get you into some trouble around the bend. haha. I have no idea how that guy ever got a job.

16. breds

breds New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    On initial read i just didnt care for the dark turns....let me reread, maybe it will grow on me the 2nd time around.

17. flanne

flanne Ranger Girl

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    6th book wasn't so bad, filled me with hate though, at the end.....

*still seethes*

18. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, it's difficult not to hate once you've read that book. I read the book in it's entirety the day it came out, and wasn't all that impressed with it initially. I've read it a couple of times since, most recently just last week in fact, and it certainly grows on you. Order of the Phoenix is still the best book I think, but this one definitely paves the way for an interesting finale.

19. Ilaelin

Ilaelin The Mother of Dragons

Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
    Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0
    I liket Book 6 but I'm with breds on this one some of the dark turns threw me for a loop. All in all though I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one!

20. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that why we read the books though? I hate reading a book where I know what is going to happen... there is just no fun! I was shocked just as much as the next person, but I had to keep on reading and obviously after finishing the 6th, start to crave for the 7th.