If you were Tolkien's editor, what would you suggest he do differently?

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Huskylord, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Huskylord

Huskylord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let's just say you happened to be the publisher for Mr. Tolkien as he is about to submit the LOTR's for publishing (assuming you recieve a copy equal to the current finished novels). What would you suggest he change/shorten/lengthen/redo etc. (I hope this doesn't border on sacralidge (sp?)

Myself, I would suggest he flesh out his battle scenes a bit more. I thought they were often too short. Other times, I wish he used less to descibe certain scenes.

I'm sorry, I'm not providing alot, but I guess I'm more interested in the comments of others.

Cheers :)

2. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean sac religion? Well you'd have to discuss that with the leaders of the First Church of LOTRinism, which I am not a member of so I will discuss this topic.

I would have included a scene somewhere in which Gimli and Legolas talk about the retaking of the Lonely Mountain(Gimli's father was one of those infamous Dwarves, and let's face it Legolas was most likely at the Battle of Five Armies, and if not there definately at the feasts that Thorin crashed) you know to give a little more background info about the two of them.

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Never thought of that. It would be interesting.

I would of perhaps made it longer (the novel, not the plot) through adding to some places where it seemed a bit little for my liking. More appendix would of been nice also.

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yes I would have to agree. Something more about Gimil or Legolas would have been nice. But hey, you can't mess with perfection, right?

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Well, you can. But then its not perfection any more I would suppose :p

I would of made the Path of the Dead a little longer. Very interesting part.

6. Unknown

Unknown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is unacceptable! Who are we to EDIT the creations of the best writer in the world? It's very simple to alter the text by the own taste. But to write the books like his, is impossible for us. We must read and enjoy, not to edit!

7. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would change nothing.

Did they loose the lonely moutain after the battle of the 5 armies? Im still reading the Hobbit and I remember last time that the dwarves did have it.