If you Loved SOT you like ... ?

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by SeryaMyee, Mar 6, 2008.

1. SeryaMyee

SeryaMyee Cara's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I offer up this topic, lets see where it goes ::

I have read the series start to finish, one right after the next, and I felt lost when it was over. I had really been enjoying the books for months and months then when it was over I didn’t know what to do with myself. I tried reading 'Time of Twins - Dragonlance', but it just didn’t catch me. So now I'm reading Obsidian Trilogy and I'm enjoying it, but its just not the same.
    I wish I could find more books like SoT. I loved the romance, the characters, and the magickal adventure. I just got back into reading for fun a few years ago and I don’t really know what’s out there. I enjoyed the Potter books, Eragon as well, and loved SoT of course.
    Any Suggestions?

2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Very good question Serya. Well for starters...I read other types of material besides fantasy. I absolutely love John Jakes North and South Trilogy. This set of novels is set during the Civil War. It gives a lot of great U.S. History and the characters are amazing. If you enjoy history then this is an excellent series! The reading order is as follows: Volume I - North and South, Volume II - Love and War, and Volume III - Heaven and Hell.

Another set which is related to fantasy is Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. This series is full of magic, betrayals, mystery, and love. It is about a young girl who is part of a prophecy that was passed down well over 1000 years ago. She is the key to everything. At the tender age of nine she is called forth to learn magic. It is a very good series. Here is the reading order: Daughter of Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, and Dreams Made Flesh.

Besides that I love Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody Trilogy. This series is Awesome as well! Finally the main hero of the story is a woman! Yes!!!!! That is one thing I look for when picking up a new fantasy set, because let's face it, most heroes are men. Rhapsody is a woman, a Singer of some talent, who is swept up into events of world-shattering import. On the run from an old romantic interest who won't take no for an answer, Rhapsody literally bumps into a couple of shady characters: half-breeds who come to her rescue in the nick of time. Only the rescue turns into an abduction, and Rhapsody soon finds herself dragged along on an epic voyage, one that spans centuries and ranges across a wonder-filled fantasy world. With death at hand and the world crumbling at her feet, she along with two others will finally discover their true Destiny. The reading order is as follows: Rhapsody, Prophecy, Destiny, Requiem for the Sun, Elegy for a Lost Star, and The Assassin King. I love this series so much that I bought all of the the books in Hardcover! I hope this helps you out. :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  3. Numenor53

Numenor53 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Agreed, That is a awesome series! It is more history based, and really no element of fantasy, but the character development and story are remarkable.

If your looking for a story with more of a fantasy element I would give the John Marco Akari Spirits series a try. The reading order is: Eyes Of God, The Devils Armor and Sword of Angels. The storyline is consistent and the characters are developed quite well, not as long as SOT, but a good read if your looking around.

Plus i guess i will mention the classic two series that are covered pretty well on this forum, Song of Ice and Fire, and of course Wheel Of Time.

Hope you find something you like, because finding fantasy series you like is hard to do!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  4. SeryaMyee

SeryaMyee Cara's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will look them up when I am done with the trilogy I'm reading.

If anyone else would like to add to the list feel free. I would like to think that I'm not the only one who would enjoy some new reading ideas

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    You are most welcome! I hope you enjoy your latest selections when you do read them. :D

6. Death's Mistress

Death's Mistress New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also try the Belgariad, Malloreon, Belgarath the Sorcerrer and Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings. It's all one story so get ready for a long ride. :)

7. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read SoT, but I love the Eddings books, though rather (read: very) predictable, I found them really enjoyable. I really do recommend them.

8. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I loved SoT, wasn't so keen on the Eddings books...I definitely enjoyed Dark Jewels And Rhapsody books...also maybe try out some of Robbin Hobbs Farseer trilogy, and for some great fantasy read the riftwar saga from Raymond Feist, starts with Magician then Silverthorn then Darkness at Sethanon, there are others after that set on the same world and with some of the same characters but those three are the main ones, and Magician was the book that really got me into fantasy to begin with. Also Terry Pratchetts Discworld books are awesome for a lighter fantasy read.

Books from other genres that i would recommend...the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley and Isaac Asimovs Robot books are pretty good, if you've seen I, Robot thats based on one of the short stories.

9. The Highlander

The Highlander There can only be one

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Enders game and Enders shadow series by Orson Scott Card are great reads as well

10. tearoutmythroat

tearoutmythroat Dr. Fuzzywhipple

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

oh i so second that. Ender Wiggin is my hero.

11. Seriously_Sarcastic

Seriously_Sarcastic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yay thread. I also read the SOT series through pretty quickly. When I was done I didn't really know what to read next. Thanx for all the suggestions.