Ideas for next Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Druid of Lûhn, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    So I'd love to take part in another Short Story Contest, maybe at a time when I have more time on my hands (trying to write during my first few weeks at uni did not work out) and I thought it would be interesting if people would post ideas about how it would work (last time we had the pictures), as well as when various people would have difficulty writing :)

Firstly, I would like to explore the possibility of team-driven writing, with pairs writing short stories, thus allowing people to fill in their weaknesses or amplify their strengths with a partner.

My second proposition came to me just now when I was reading Kurt's post here about random encounters: http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?28920-How-to-create-an-rpg-randomizer My post explains how this could be used for writing short stories.

So please – anybody, everybody – post your ideas and wishes here :)

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Oh yes, we should definitely keep doing these!

Pairs would be fun, but the problem I foresee with pairs is that people would really have to commit to writing an entry if they sign up. Out of all the people who agree to write for these things, maybe half (or a little more than half) actually manage to post an entry. It's one thing to drop out if it only affects you, but in pairs, you can't or you're letting your partner down. Life gets in the way sometimes and other things take priority. For that reason, I'm not sure that pairs are going to work unless you keep it informal (ie: make pairs optional). We tried that with this last one and nobody chose to pair up...lol.

The randomizer looks interesting but I'm not sure that I fully understand it...

Other suggestions I have for story inspiration come from the wattpad smackdown contests that I follow/participate in. On that forum they run short story contests (smackdowns) all the time and they often require the writers use some combination of song lyrics, pictures/artwork, quotes and sub-genres in the stories. Sometimes they even have entrants pick one or more things from a list for their competitors which is both fun and challenging. They run their contests in eliminations rounds (a few people get eliminated every round, leaving only a few for the final round). Unless we have a lot of people want to enter I don't think that would work here though.

This is the thread for the current round of the fantasy smackdown that is on right now, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.wattpad.com/forums/discussion/709790/Fantasy+Smackdown+Round+2.4+Science+Fantasy

We may not want to make it as complicated as they do over there, but they have some good ideas for inspiration anyway. :)

3. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully we will write stories that aren't so bad one of the mods leaves permanently though.

I like the idea of submitting a quip of lyrics, something like adding that to a pool that is revealed later sounds fun.

Also the competition part would be nice if it went through all the way.

4. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    lol
    I'm sure Tur will come back at some point. :)
    The competition part honestly doesn't matter to me as much... the point for me is to keep writing new stuff and to keep TFF interesting. The happenings of our day to day lives and spam are fun but so is new fantasy content on the site.
    Competition is a motivator for some people though and BFD has also expressed interest in finding out the results. If all the judges haven't found the time to do this in the last 3 months, I say the ones who have should post whatever feedback or ratings they have come up with separately and that will have to do for wrapping up this one. If nobody's posted anything by January 18, then I'll drop out of the contest and judge the rest by January 25 to finish it up.
    I really don't want to step on anyone's toes by taking over here but nobody else is taking the lead. You guys worked hard to put interesting content on the site and you should be rewarded for that. I hate to think that anyone in the future wouldn't want to enter one of these things because nothing ever comes of entering.

5. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    After missing the last short story contest(s?), and after reading about this idea (and the WattPad smackdown) I really feel like joining this contest. But I'm afraid my (soon-to-begin) doctorate will keep me busy as hell, and even though I keep having ideas (about characters or plot elements) it's never enough to actually write a coherent story. However, if you'll need a judge, I'd be happy to volunteer (as long as the stories are as good as those from the first contest :D)!

6. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I want the competition intact because I want to see my work panned so I can improve on it. It has just been awkwardly lying stagnant for so long I'd rather somebody just tell me it is garbage so I can have peace of mind.

Thanks for the motion SJ though, I've been getting antsy. The submission date for this contest would probably have to be pretty far off too, lots of people put them up late last time and I crunched my schedule to finish on point, even more so if it is going to be co-op.

I still feel ill about starting another one when the other hasn't officially finished, I am already juggling a load in my head.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I hope not.

I submitted my piece of art to use as inspiration for a story and he summarily deleted it.
    It was a painting I had done for a mural I was commissioned to do nearly twenty years ago, and aside from the woman in the painting having her breasts showing, there was nothing even a nun would blush over. Upon posting the illustration I did for Oddy he warned me I'd be permanently banned for another such infraction... oh goodness me, an Ogre with an erect penis... how horrible. It sure didn't bother Oddrun.:D

Had the story for the last competition half written in one sitting... including an innocent 'coming-of-age' sex scene between two twelve year old girls which takes place in the skull of a fossilized sea serpent. It was really good stuff. It would make you blush.:D

8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Crap. I missed both of them! :D

Missed that one as well o_O

9. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Sparrow, the point is not the person you drew it for, but the fact that this forum is supposed to be family friendly (I joined when I was 14 with a clean mind, now look what it's done… Emelie corrupted me ;))

As to posting feedback, I can definitely do mine, although I didn't mark it, seeing as we were going to discuss it together. I definitely think I had a winner in mind though, so I'll see if I can contact the others and have a read through my notes :) Don't fret, it will be soon :D

As to the randomiser SJ, essentially, words are mixed together randomly and those that could actually make sense can be used as inspiration. E.g. Stag Silhouette, Bloody Vegetables, Star River, …
    Those could describe a hunted stag, silhouetted in the early morning mist as it crests a rise, its hunters closing in; a suicide that is discovered to be a murder when blood is found in the vegetable patch, away from where the body was found; a description of the Milky Way or something similar, maybe a path to Valhalla that the Vikings must sail in their longboats (fantasy ones though, so the customs could be interpreted differently).

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

There are no families that come to this forum and interact.

And I thought the point of Fantasy was to step outside yourself?.. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." :)

11. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    Idea: short story from the point of view of orc, ogre, troll or any other "evil" race ;)

12. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I am interested in participating again. However I think we need closure form the last one first. Not so much to find a "winner" but in order to gain constructive feedback to help us grow as writers.
    I personally like the idea of being given criteria to use in the story, it helps us time poor types (or at least me) to formulate a story.

Also want to see Sparrow's work.....sounds interesting!! :p

13. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Thanks Druid for stepping up and posting your comments and I agree with BFD - the constructive feedback helps. :)

14. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    +1 to Druid for taking the time to give some great feedback.
    If anyone wants to get this next comp in motion, I am ready!!

15. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    We must repeat. Thanks Druid, I needed some closure with the story.

I'm more willing now to think of getting involved in another competition. I don't know about randomly generating important events, I'm still kind of partial to the idea of lyrics/music or even pictures again just because there is a lot to be inspired by there or many different interpretations that can be taken.

I do like the idea of sticking to partnered writing though, it might be a pain to coordinate though.

16. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Just a very small excerpt...

18. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Oh I won't hear of it, we can't deprive you of a golden TFF moment... just pains me so to blackout an Ogre's naughty parts. I'll assume you have an adequate imagination and will picture in your mind's eye what he looks like in full splendor.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    So if we're going to do this again, how about starting the writing in the beginning of June, post entries by July 31st and then judges must be finished judging by August 31st? That should avoid the problem of schoolwork and the time-crunch of exams for the majority of students, no?

Also, what is the consensus: do we write in pairs or not? Either way is fine with me as long as people who say they want to enter make a serious commitment to getting it done if we pair up.

Somebody also needs to take point and run/coordinate the contest. Does anybody have a burning desire to do that? :D

20. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I can run... 'cause I'm not writing :)