I wanna sparring partner!!

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by CaPtYnCrOnIc, Sep 19, 2008.

1. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    .......one that don;t mind getting whacked! I moved to Lakewood, Co awhile back and have been lax in my swordplay since I got here but until I find a new job I got time to kill. I can;t host it cuz I'm in an apartment but would like to get to know someone near me who could and wants a partner. More than one is cool and maybe we can start a club or something.

There are a few here but they are all historical based combat and I want a mix of western and eastern styles that they do not allow. I don;t have a specific style as I just mentioned but try a 'graceful' style that is very flowing from one stance to the next.

Right now I have wooden katanas but I found this cool site on how to make 'ground' swords so will make a steel one soon. It'll be like a falchon but hopefully if all goes well I can find a strong alloy that is lighter than steel but as strong. Once I get into forging I will experiment alot but until then wood will due lol. When my skills are honed to the degree I like I will move to fighting with two falchon-like blades.

I'm open to all ages or beginners and can help a bit there if your new to swordplay but know I have much more theory than skill lol. Maybe this will be the spur I need to quit smoking!

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    If you can find this magical new alloy, the world will beat a path to your door. Mithril anyone? :D

Movies use aluminium blades for stunt work. Lighter, faster but less durable than steel.

3. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    lol, titanium was my first thought but I know there is some kind of alloy out there like that the gov uses for planes or something.

My bro does work for the gov, all hush hush ya know he can't talk about what he does really and I only know that he 'disappears' alot, ya know gets out of contact and nobody is willing to tell where he is sort of thing. Anyhow he tells me that the gov has all sorts of things that are going to be on the public market within the next several years. I dunno if my 'magic' alloy will be in there but it just goes to show that what we know isn't the half of what is going on lol

4. Hudson

Hudson New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Captain,

I live in Lakewood, I just private messaged you!

I have a friend that can possibly get us some aircraft alloy for weapons...We'll see how it goes! ahah

5. CaPtYnCrOnIc

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Coolio, I just sent you one back.

The alloy thing is awsome too! I have been looking around and you don't really have to forge a sword anymore but one that is 'cold forged'(God I hate that term) or ground out can be as strong or stronger that one that has been forged traditionally.

Good to hear from ya and hopefully we can meet up soon!

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I wonder if an aircraft alloy would be suitable for swordfighting though. I imagine it would be light and strong, but possibly more resistant to vibration and tensile strength, rather than shock/impact resistant.

Not to mention the possible cost!

let us know what you find out. I know that aluminium stunt swords for movies and theatre etc need to be replaced quite often as they just don't have the durability of steel.